Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[README] Mumble - VOIP for playing with other readers

Mumble is a VOIP client like Ventrillo, Teamspeak, Roger Wilco and Mohawk. Unlike the rest, it has something resembling a stable overlay so if you're chatting to strangers you can actually tell them apart. It's also open source and free, which is nice.

We have a 512 slot mumble server running with generous bandwidth limits.

Where?
    Address: server.herosquad.org
    Port: 64738 (default - you can leave it blank when connecting)

What?
    We use Mumble for many different games. It provides excellent audio quality, without having to fight with whatever game you're playing. I'm looking at you, release-day Battlefield 3!

It's also useful for coordinating large numbers of people. In games with their own VOIP solution, a two-tier approach of using ingame for banter and Mumble for information or e.g. inter-squad communications works very well.

Smaller groups use it too. In addition to the big fish (currently planetside 2), there are also dozens of people using the server for everything from Dota 2 to Neverwinter. Some folks even use it for playing pen-and-paper RPGs or just idly chatting when not playing anything.

The server has dozens of channels by default, but by right clicking on one you'll be able to make your own temporary one. This works well for those Hot Releases that there aren't enough permanent channels for. You can even put a password your temporary channel. If you're playing something regularly enough to warrant a permanent channel, or find that you need admin rights over a channel for some reason, post here or send me a PM.

FAQ?

• Q: Do I have to use push to talk?
    • A: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE PUSH TO TALK. Yes, it can be annoying having to press a button, but it’s better than having to listen to constant heavy breathing! Be considerate of other users!

• Q: Someone is being annoying!
    • A: Right click on them, select ‘local mute’. If they’re being truly offensive/abusive, find an admin or name and shame them here.

• Q: How do I find an Admin?
    • A: If it’s urgent, you can right click on the root channel (Rock Paper Shotgun Mumble Server), go to groups, and select either admin for global admins (just me for now) or a relevant acronym (e.g. ps2 - vanu - eu - full is channel admins for the EU Planetside 2 Vanu outfit) and see a list of people you could bug. Alternatively, post here or send me a PM.

• Q: I want to hear one person but not the rest of this rabble!
    • A: Select said person, right click, pick ‘priority speaker’. Useful for group leaders, but note that this is a local setting. You can't currently prioritise speakers for others, even when you're an admin!

• Q: There are no empty slots to connect to!
    • A: Unlikely. If this happens, report it here and I’ll increase the number of slots.

• Q: There’s no room / too few subchannels for the game I want to play!
    • A: All users should be able to make temporary channels by right clicking an existing channel (e.g. games) and then going to “Add”. If you're playing a lot of a game, or need local admin powers for some reason, post here or send me a PM.

• Q: How do I create/use a passworded room?
    • A: When creating a room there will be an option to specify a password. If a room is created with a password specified, you need to go to Server->Access Tokens, then add the password. You’ll then be able to access the room.

How?
    If you already have Mumble installed, you can click here. If not:

• Download Mumble.
      • You do NOT need Murmur, as that is the server executable.

• Run the Mumble installer executable.
      • Follow the prompts.
      • Create a certificate when asked (painless, works instead of passwords).
      • A pinging sound whenever you try to click something is a sign that you're supposed to click on another menu. If you have multiple displays, perhaps the box you seek is on another screen?

• Please SET UP PUSH TO TALK.
    • You'll reach a prompt that looks vaguely like Fig. 1:

Fig. 1: Welcome screen and RPS server details (animated gif)

• Click "add new" and fill in the following details per Fig. 1. The label and your name do not matter, but try to keep it clean.
      • You can leave the port blank if it isn't filled in automatically!

• Click OK.
    • Attempt to connect to the server by double clicking on your new Rock Paper Shotgun! entry. You'll always be able to find the server easily through your favourites (Server->Connect or Ctrl+o).
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 11-05-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning?

Using the Overlay
    Overlays show you who is speaking, by overlaying a bit of text on your screen. Ever used the Steam browser whilst playing a game? Similar idea.

Mumble has a very good and customisable overlay built into it. I find it extremely stable and less crash-prone than all of the ones available for Teamspeak 3 and other competing VOIP clients, but your mileage may vary.

Go to configure, settings and check the box in the bottom left labeled “Advanced”. Then select the Overlay tab on the left. At the top of the screen, make sure Enable Overlay is checked. First, go to the Overlay Exceptions tab. I’d recommend putting it on whitelist mode and adding the .exes you wish to use it with manually. Fig. 2A illustrates this process. Whilst it is very stable, the overlay can still cause conflicts with some systems/games. The number one bug-fixing tip is to turn off the overlay!

Fig. 2: Various useful overlay settings

Next you will want to fine-tune the positioning and contents of the overlay. Return to the layout tab and use the red pin to drag the target position of the user list to somewhere convenient. It’ll probably take several attempts to get it just right. If you’re playing with a large group, you may wish to only show people who are currently speaking. To do this, click on the list of names (not the pin) and go to Filter, then click on “Only talking”, per Fig. 2B. Right click the user list again, then go to edit. I like to use the settings shown in Fig. 2C, which removes the black boxes and user icons but leaves the text and mute status intact. Make sure you apply appropriate settings to all of the States!

As well as dis/enabling certain display elements, you can click on the ones shown on the screen and drag them around to rearrange things. Finally, before closing the Overlay Editor window, left then right click on the text (e.g. Talking) and go to font. I find that size 20 verdana is nice and clear at 1900 x 1200.

Whisper Lists
    You find yourself in a subchannel and wish to transmit to people in other subchannels. It is dark. You may annoy another user.

Code:
    Rock Paper Shotgun (Unofficial) VOIP Server
    +General Chatter
    +Games
    }----+ Arma 2
    | }---+ Blufor
    | | }---+ Alpha
    | | | } Nullkigan
    | | }---+ Bravo
    | | | } Bodge
    | | }---+ Charlie
    | | } President Weasel
    | }---+ Opfor
    | }---+ Alpha
    | } Joseph
    }----+ Alien Swarm
    | } Washington
    +AFK
    Fig. 3: Example user layout

Let’s say that Nullkigan (in Blufor Alpha) wishes to send a message to Bodge (in Blufor Bravo) – perhaps because his squad needs some fire support. He’s happy for President Weasel (in Blufor Charlie) to hear the request, so Charlie can stay clear of the danger zone, but don’t wish to alert Joseph (in Opfor Alpha) because he’s the target of the fire mission. Nullkigan also doesn’t wish to annoy Washington, who is playing an entirely different game (in the Alien Swarm channel).

To do this, go to Configure -> Settings -> Shortcuts. Per Fig. 4A, click the Add button, then click “unassigned” and use the drop-down list to select “Whisper/Shout”. Select data. Click the box with the ellipsis (…) inside. Select “Shout to channel”, then scroll to the bottom and find the “Parent” entry. Additionally select “whisper to subchannels”. Click OK. Select “shortcut” and press the button you wish to use as a shortcut for whispering. Then check the box marked suppress if you wish to prevent other applications from receiving those key presses whilst mumble is running (warning: if you suppress “o” and leave mumble open, your important emails will come out funny!).

Fig. 4: Setting up whisper lists

Now to return to our example. If Nullkigan hit his whisper key he would transmit to: BluFor (Alpha’s parent), Alpha (which he is in), Bravo (a subchannel of BluFor), Charlie, but not Opfor, Opfor’s Alpha subchannel, or the Alien Swarm channel.

If he had selected “root” instead of parent, all channels would receive the whisper. If he was in Blufor when he tried this, Alpha/Bravo/Charlie would get the whisper, but so would Arma2 (Blufor’s parent), Opfor (including Opfor Alpha/Bravo/Etc), and so Joseph would hear him. If he was in Arma2 and tried this, people in Alienswarm and other games would hear him, as the parent would be the games channel, and all game channels are subchannels of it. So only use this type of whisper when in an appropriate subchannel!

Advanced Whisper Lists
    Consider the previous example of calling a firemission from another squad, and all other squads on my team being able to hear and react to this. Sometimes this is not desirable; what happens when we have 20+ players who are all shouting at people in other squads? Do I have to listen to that fool in Alpha when I’m just a grunt? The solution is Group Restricted Whispers.

In Fig. 4A there is an option called “Restrict to group”. If we enter #mytoken here, only people who satisfy the conditions of the whisper list (i.e. in an appropriate nearby channel) and also have the mytoken access token can hear the whisper. Note that when restricting to group, you need to at a # in front of the token, but you do not need to do this when adding the token to your client to allow you to hear these whispers.

To add an access token, go to Server->Access Tokens->Add at the main screen.

I recommend the use of an access token of “cc” for Command Circuit chatter. This lets squad leaders and mission commanders communicate without drowning out or annoying fireteam members. Anyone can listen to these messages by adding the cc access token to their client, and removing it prevents you from hearing it. It does need a seperate key for transmissions, but this is easily set up by following the above guide.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 11-05-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Spring Cleaning?

The helpful Fig. 1, Fig. 2 and Fig. 4 aren't showing up, I'm afraid.

Activated Node
    Another thing do note is that Mumble and Windows 7 like to turn down Arma 2 VON volume and thus you might not hear people speaking on VON. However, there's a fix for it:

For mumble:
    1) Open Configure - Settings - Audio Output.
    2) Tick of "while other users talk" and "while you talk"
    For Windows 7:
    1) Start - Control Panel
    1.1) If a new window opens, click Hardware and Sound - Sound - Communications and click on "Do nothing"
    1.2) If a menu appears, click on Sound - Communications and click on "Do nothing"

There we go. You should be able to hear people on VON much better.

I wanted to quiz how the #cc token works for if I were an FTL. Would it be needed? or is this something just for the Squad leaders?
    After my first Tactical Tuesday last night I feel confident enough to step into the shoes of an FTL next time round but was curious as to how FTL comms is handled normally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I wanted to quiz how the #cc token works for if I were an FTL. Would it be needed? or is this something just for the Squad leaders?
    After my first Tactical Tuesday last night I feel confident enough to step into the shoes of an FTL next time round but was curious as to how FTL comms is handled normally.
    In theory FTLs won't need CC as their Squad Leader will handle it.

In Praxis Squad Leaders tend to die, so it's up to the highest fire team leader to take over leading the squad (FTL1>FTL2>FTL3). If all FTLs are dead it's up to the highest AR, then AAR, then RAT (though by then it's usually better to merge the squad with another one).

So the ideal scenario would be that all FTLs either have CC enabled or can enable it on short notice in case SL bites the dust - but as long as SL is dead they don't talk on CC.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 04-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.

I got annoyed at not being able to get into the server last night due to the sheer number of Planetside 2 fans, so:

• Slots bumped up to 256
    • Audio Quality bumped up to 90kb/s

Please post any issues, such as mass desynch, in here so I can try to investigate them. The available resources on the server are far, far, far in excess of mumble's requirements but sometimes the software gets wonky.

(For those interested, it's currently hosted on the arma 2 box which has 15 gb/month bandwidth on a 100 mb/s port with a sandy bridge i5 processor)

Also please refrain from making temporary channels permanent or creating channels with offensive, misogynistic or otherwise 'ironic' names. I will rename any i see and potentially ban repeat offenders.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 24-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

So I'm moving the server to a different box which will let me bump up audio quality even further, increase the number of slots and do a few other things I've been meaning to follow up on for a while. This includes a full purge of all accounts and channels as what we had was largely unplanned and grew from 10 users to 100+.

If over the next few days people could briefly pop onto server2.herosquad.org and register themselves, test things out, etc, I'd be grateful. The old server will be around for a little while longer and the transition will largely be painless.

Admins: send me PMs about what channels you need powers over. I'm also considering adding a couple of other account levels with stuff like mute and kick abilities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yay, good news! I think we in the Rock, Planet, Shotgun Planetside 2 outfit probably are responsible for much of the recent influx of users, as we regularly have 40+ people at a time on Mumble. We would certainly appreciate having a couple more people with admin rights in the Planetside 2 channel. We have also had uninvited "guests" in our channels, mucking about being generally annoying, so a few people with mute/kick abilities would be most welcome.

Thanks for taking care of this, it is an indispensible tool for us!

I've long since lost track of all the different threads in the Planetside 2 subforum, and I know this one is dead, but I do feel compelled to ask how well last night worked out, Performance and Logistics wise.

I've not seen any complaints about the server dropping out or going robovoice yet, so hopefully that didn't happen.

There are currently only three admins for the PS2 - EU - VANU tag, which isn't many for drag / mute / kicking 200+ people. Who else needs these abilities? I can restrict different people to different tasks, but I'd rather have no more than two groups. Full control of the local channels and drag / mute, perhaps.

Network Hub
    I played and it sounded fine for me, thanks so much for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    There are currently only three admins for the PS2 - EU - VANU tag, which isn't many for drag / mute / kicking 200+ people. Who else needs these abilities? I can restrict different people to different tasks, but I'd rather have no more than two groups. Full control of the local channels and drag / mute, perhaps.
    I have set up some ACL rules such that it should be possible for anyone in one of the leadership channels (PL/SL etc) to move people around in Mumble, if they end up in the wrong channels, and mute anyone being annoying, so that should be okay. Control for moving channels around would be nice to be able to deal out to a few more though, given the new platoon -> units -> squads subdivision we're using now. I did notice that I could add people to the "local admin" group, which is very good. Not really sure we need more than that.

Edit: Oh, and as far as I know, the server has been working perfectly well, so I'll echo Surlywombat: many thanks for keeping things running so smoothly!

It seems that the way to track down admins posted in the first post is no longer working : /
    So I'll just try over here; is it possible to get a permanent channel setup for our new RPS Neverwinter guild?

Done. Give me some registered usernames and I'll hand out some channel admin rights.

Thanks a lot Nullkigan, and nice channel name you thought up :P
    I was getting distracted when you messaged me on mumble, but we got one more wannabe channel admin, Styxie.
    If you could give him channel admin rights as well we'd be all set.

Hi,

I registered on the server as Boosh, but I use a different name ingame (ps2), which isn't ideal. I've had a good google but doesn't seem to be anyway for me to de-register myself or enforce a name change. I've even tried re-installing mumble.

Could an admin remove my registration when possible please? Or provide further advice if there is something I can do myself.

Thanks,

I have removed your user registration.

That was quick! Thanks :)

Network Hub
    Any chance at putting a sticky about the mumble server in the main 'root' forum for fun and games? It seems quite universal now.

I can throw the thread down there, but I can't sticky it. I haven't so far because I keep forgetting to update the first post and fix the missing images.

EDIT: Speaking of which, done. I think?
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 11-05-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: WHY DO I HAVE INSOMNIA