Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

[README] Tactical Tuesday

And now a message from harakka.

What is Tactical Tuesday?
    Tactical Tuesday is a weekly ARMA2 session where we try to tackle missions with with tactics and teamwork. Everyone is welcome to participate. The missions are a mix of cooperative and team-versus-team, with about 4 missions played per session for a total length of two to three hours.

When is the session?
    Every Tuesday at 19:30 UK time, 20:30 Central European Time.

What are the server details?
    We play on the ARPS ARMA2 server and use the unofficial RPS community Mumble VOIP server. Details for both servers are in this thread.

What version do I need? Do I need mods?
    No mods will be required, we play vanilla content only. You will need the latest version of ARMA2 Combined Operations.

What can I expect?
    We have a particular approach to playing missions that ensures enough organization to have a good gaming experience, but not too too much to get bogged down by complex communication, ranks or micromanagement. Our approach isn't about emulating real-world military organizations or operations, but enjoying a game where tactics and teamwork reign supreme.

The missions cover the entire ARMA2 spectrum: all sides, all islands, all gear and all degrees of death (revive, respawn and permadeath) make an appearance. Most missions are designed for 20-30 players, and most slots are standard infantry with occasional transport pilots, special weapon teams and vehicle crews thrown in.

What is a Tactical Tuesday session like?
    One of the players volunteers as the commander (CO), and the rest are divided into fireteams of about three to six people. Every fireteam has a fireteam leader (FTL). Special weapon teams and vehicle crews are treated similar to fireteams. Anyone can volunteer for both CO and FTL roles.

During the briefing the commander lays out a plan for the fireteam leaders to carry out, and presents it to the other players. After a round of questions the mission starts.

During the mission, players stick to their fireteams and carry out their FTL's orders. Players communicate mostly within their own fireteam using the in-game voice function (VON), or Mumble if the fireteams have been split to separate Mumble channels. FTLs relay important information to other FTLs and the commander as they see fit. Keeping the main communication channels clear makes sure important information gets through and helps the commander and fireteams coordinate their efforts.

To ensure a smooth ride and maximize the time we can spend actually playing the game, here are a few things the players should keep in mind:
    • Listen to the host who is running the session. He is there to make sure everyone can enjoy the game.
    • Connect to the ARPS Mumble server and join the ARMA2 channel in time. We prefer you to have a microphone, quality isn't essential as Mumble is very forgiving.
    • Once you're in the in-game slotting screen, click on your name on the left-hand side to de-slot. This will speed up the slotting process.
    • Keep unnecessary smalltalk for a time when nothing else is going on. This way we can get the slotting and planning phases done with no time wasted.
    • Don't hog the leadership and special weapon slots. This way everyone, including new players has the chance to experience all aspects of the game.
    Last edited by Bodge; 03-01-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Network Hub
    Updated with harakka speak.

Tactical Tuesday - 3rd January 2012

Evening gentlemen,
    tonight I will be hosting Tactical Tuesday for the first time. As usual, it's at 19:30 GMT and try to be on time, preferably a bit earlier to give some time to sort out any problems.

If possible it would be great if everybody has CC setup, or atleast the knowledge how to, before the event starts since I will enforce commanders and FTLs to use it.

That's all I'm gonna say for now, good luck!
    Last edited by SvDvorak; 03-01-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Reminder: Tues 03 Jan 2012 session starting in 1hr 20 minutes.

(1hr05 of this edit, I am an idiot)
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 03-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Tues 10 Jan 2012 will start at 1930 GMT / UK as usual. Should be a good one. Try to turn up five minutes early to ensure slotting - JIP missions are unlikely this week.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Activated Node
    Very nice, I played with you guys once before and it was really fun, then got a bit lost with Arma 2, I'll try and join you for the next Tuesday (also, I sometimes give a look to the mumble server to see if anyone's playing anyway).

Network Hub
    Hanging around in steam chat is the best way to get some games in.

Obscure Node
    I have just a question about Arma 2, we need
    ARMA2 Combined Operations which is nothing more than Arma 2 + Arma 2 Arrowhead (which is standalone) or just Arma 2 Arrowhead ? Thanks !

Activated Node
    What version do I need? Do I need mods?
    No mods will be required, we play vanilla content only.
    You will need the latest version of ARMA2 Combined Operations.
    Combined Ops is ArmA2 + ArmA2:OA.. OR ArmA2:Free + ArmA2:OA which gives you ArmA2:CO Lite.

Obscure Node
    Ok then, i will buy from Steam Combined Ops. Thanks for the tip, IceRaiser :)

Obscure Node
    Newbie making a check: The event/invitation tomorrow evening is still active?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqarius View Post
    Newbie making a check: The event/invitation tomorrow evening is still active?
    We're more alive than ever.

Hello all. I was just wondering if it was okay for someone with very limited Arma 2 experience to join in on the Tactical Tuesday stuff. I've never really played Arma online and would really like to try it out. Also I can only see out of my left eye. Will that be a problem? I don't want to hinder my team. Thanks all.

Network Hub
    Just have a quick read of the thread then see if you can connect alright. You might want to pop into steam chat and ask if anyone fancies a game or two. Otherwise just turn up on a Tuesday or Sunday (for Folk, have a look at the other thread).

Quote Originally Posted by leekster View Post
    Hello all. I was just wondering if it was okay for someone with very limited Arma 2 experience to join in on the Tactical Tuesday stuff. I've never really played Arma online and would really like to try it out. Also I can only see out of my left eye. Will that be a problem? I don't want to hinder my team. Thanks all.
    There's also a smaller Americana Night happening if that works better for your timezone. Check the thread or contact Wengart about it.

Thank you both. I'll be there next Tuesday to help try and shoot men.

Obscure Node
    Is this still going on? I'm completely new and I would like to join in. One question. what is CC?

Yes very much so, join up! CC is "Command Channel", it's a whisper group in mumble. It's what squad leaders and the commander use to communicate with each other without disturbing the "grunts".
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...nd-other-games

Room for one more? I'm a bit green to all this but I'm picking up a headset tomorrow.

Always.

If you read the stickies and got a grasp of the basic infantry controls (run, duck and shoot) you're good to go. At the beginning of each mission we "deslot", which means clicking your own name on the list of roles and then wait for the host (The player marked with *admin*) to do the slotting by announcing the roles and waiting for someone to pick it. If you're new to ArmA2 (MP) i'd suggest you take an Assistant Automatic Rifle (AAR) as they don't involve much more than sticking with your fireteam, covering your buddy (AR/AAR form a so called "buddyteam") and occasionally pointing your boomstick in the rough direction of the enemy. While we're on the slotting and in the briefing it's only the host or the Commander for the mission that are talking on Mumble/Teamspeak to avoid cluttering comms. You're free to proceed with witty banter in the sidechat though.

Also make sure that you aren't running the ARMA2 BETA as that breaks the ingame VON. If you know how to install addons you find a list of useful addons here. None of these are required to play with us, but the one's under "Essential" improve your game experience a lot.

If you want a quick run through the basics you can hop in the RPS steam group chat. There are usually a few regulars lingering that can show you the ropes.