If you liked Shadowbane...

...looks like someone is working on it's spiritual successor.

I recently stumbled across Fallen Thrones, an indie project of a group called Strife Media LLC. The game is, from a design standpoint, VERY similar to Shadowbane - which is not too surprising given the devs are ex-SB players - and will be using the BigWorld platform, which I was surprised to learn is what World of Tanks uses. It's currently in Alpha testing, and looks to be slated for a late 2012 release. If you enjoyed Shadowbane, I definitely recommend giving it a look!

Oh and if you sign up for the forums, please tell them Anthrage sent you. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I will put it this way -- I loved Shadowbane until the first time I played it ;)
    Hopefully this meets my old hopes while feeling less like an eerie wasteland!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I'm honestly surprised there are people who claim to have liked Shadowbane.

It was an empty featureless plain with some NPCs hurriedly thrown in to let people grind to max level in order to take part in PvP. What little PvP I tried was fun, but nothing special enough to make the rest of the game worthwhile.

Shadowbane was definitely not for those looking for PvE - the PvP however, especially sieges, was in my opinion, and that of many others, some of the best. Extremely rich character creation, an actually political dimension to gameplay...in any case, anyone who played it for a good while and liked it, FT looks to be more of the same. :)

Activated Node
    I really liked Shadowbane's lore. Neat, unique races and classes, too. Didn't play too much of it unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot to mention, did zero PvP stuff during my playtime. Enjoyed it regardless.
    Last edited by Username; 31-12-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: One more thing...

Shadowbane's big problem for me was not constructing a proper world for the PvP to take place in. I can understand if they didn't want to attempt a full open world politics, crafting and economy game like Eve or Darkfall and Mortal (the only 2 vaguely successful equivalents I can think of), but they need something to draw players in.

You needed to be high, if not max, level to take part in the game proper, and the only way to get there was hours and hours of absolutely soulless grinding. There was zero pretence that you were doing anything other than standing in a field hitting monsters until some numbers went up. It shares a lot with the Korean MMOs like Archlord and Silk Road. People can tell me about how great the end game PvP is, but I'm never going to see it if everything before that point is a tedious non-game.

I'm not sure when you played or how you played, but you could hit R7, level 70, in 3 days - if you were not playing solo that is. Shadowbane was a GvG game, and doing things solo, or not knowing the best way to do things, certainly made the game harder in terms of leveling. SB was definitely light on helping it's players in that and pretty much all other respects.

In any case, the title of this thread is "If you liked Shadowbane..." - my intention is to point those who DID like it to FT, not debate those who did not or defend the game. You may not believe it, but there are plenty of people out there who enjoyed it. :)

Sorry, I won't try and engage in discussion in future.