Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

S-Video to VGA adapter?

So I've been tossing around the idea of buying a SNES for a minute here, but I don't have the space to buy an old TV to go with it. I only have one open VGA port on my monitor, has anyone used an adapter to connect S-Video (or composite, if it comes to that) in this manner? A quick google search didn't seem to pull up any reliable products.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I think you'll need an active adapter for that, which will likely cost more than the SNES (and may not scale the image properly to your screen, besides). Unless you're really desperate to have the actual console, I'd say you're better off sticking with an emulator.

Kelron is right. You'd be stuck with a conversion box that is often pretty useless at doing the actual conversion. I think the cheapest you'll find one is 30 or so. It would also probably look pretty awful when outputed to monitor as opposed to a CRT. An emulator would probably do a better job of sorting that out.

Yeah, something about emulators just doesn't do it for me. Not to mention the fact that I'd need something similar for N64, as every N64 emulator I've tried has been terrible in terms of bugginess and playing the games with anything but the original controller is awful. My monitor has a decent 4:3 mode, so no worries on that front. There seem to be a couple such converters floating around, with no word on which is the most reliable...

I might just cave and look for a cheap CRT, and resolve the space issue when I have to. Can anyone explain why a low-resolution signal will look sharper on a CRT than on an HD LCD?
    Last edited by sabrage; 30-12-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Can anyone explain why a low-resolution signal will look sharper on a CRT than on an HD LCD?
    Modern LCD's still display 8bit VGA colors fine if you set your operating system to it - I can't see any reason why color or saturation would be an issue once you find a reliable converter.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I might just cave and look for a cheap CRT, and resolve the space issue when I have to. Can anyone explain why a low-resolution signal will look sharper on a CRT than on an HD LCD?
    One reason is that most LCDs look awful at any non-native resolution. Most will also scale down gracefully if the resolution is a power of 2 down (1/2, 1/4, etc) so e.g. 1280x800 (or x720 with letterboxing) will look fine on a 30" panel that normally does 2560x1600.

So I just got back from the flea market and they've got some old CRT TVs for a fraction of the price of those converters. Makes more sense to just go with that and avoid the headaches, even if it does mean putting it on the floor.