Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

You Mates Know Where Can Buy Steel Armor: Blaze Of War?

With international shipping to China.

I cannot find this game over here. None of game stores here stocks this game. I am so desperate to get it that I start to consider if pirating is an option......

No idea if this will do the trick for you as it's digital and I've no idea if that would even be possible in China but it's on Gamersgate for 15€ or 10 depending on if you use the .com or .co.uk site.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SABW/...r-blaze-of-war

Which actually seems pretty cheap and now I want to buy it. *sigh*
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

This is bizarre; I've been looking forward to this but didn't even know it had been released! The game has had almost zero promotion, they stealth release it and immediately drop the price to 10? Is there something wrong with it?

I have no idea. The 50% off is a Christmas sale thing though, so that might just be a coincidence and not indicative of the games quality. I'm not sure, but didn't Tim Stone write about it recently in The Flare Path? Or possibly just a regular post.

I asked Tim about it in the comments on the FP and he is doing a review of it for the next PC Gamer, so can't really review it on RPS.

I had a bunch of blue coins and was able to get it for a fiver; I will try to post some impressions before the sale ends.

It should be noted that according to the page the sale ends in 9 days, so anyone trying make up his or her mind should be in no rush. :)

That said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it Mechanicus.

As promised, I have had a play about with it and here are some quick thoughts.

I was surprised to find that this is not just a static mission based game like Steel Fury - it actually takes many elements from Graviteam's strategy series Achtung Panzer, which is a very good thing. As such, in each campaign you fight the overall war in a strategic turn-based mode, with each skirmish generating a little real time tactical battle for you to run. The only difference is you can also take direct control of the friendly tanks in those battle.

I like this setup a great deal; it gives you a reason to care about your troops between battles, as they are scarce resource and gain experience etc... but also means if the tank you are directly controlling should die it's not game over - you just switch to the next playable tank and carry on having fun.

The tank sim aspect is similar in complexity to Steel Fury. One nice improvement is that most functions are now made available in a GUI, so you no longer have to memorise loads of keyboard commands for each station in each tank. In night battles the tanks now feature squiffy early generation night vision gear, with blurry reflected images from the infrared searchlights on their turrets leading to some harrowing close quarter encounters with ghostly enemy vehicles.

The game also seems pretty solid from a technical point of view - I have experienced a couple of crashes, but other bugs seem relatively few. Graphically the game is nice - the vehicles models are gorgeous, and when they get hit bits of them fly off them in a satisfying maner. Terrain is a bit on the flat side, even if the places you are fighting in somewhat justify that.

There is also a mission builder that lets you build entire campaigns, and in a fairly easy to use manner - I suggest using this to make a super simple mission of some tanks versus some doomed infantry, and then using this battle to get to grips with all the tactical controls and direct tank control gubbins.

My only complaints so far are:

Friendly tank AI is too eager to charge into poor terrain and get in trouble - I had a whole platoon of tanks trundle into a ditch and get utterly stuck (I manually drove them out one by one eventually). I narrowly stopped another tank trying to cross a wooden bridge that was completely destroyed.

Spotting/targeting enemy vehicles as the commander is a bit weird, and I still haven't figured it out. Not a huge problem as the AI gunner is very effective when left to fire at will, and if there is something specific I want killing I usually switch to the gunner seat and do it myself.

I haven't found a way to take the place of a lost crew member - so a dead loader means a useless tank despite everyone else in it being fine.

During the tactical battles it would be really nice to at least be able switch the external camera to non-tank friendlies so you could see them fight too.

The tutorial is also a bit rubbish - it pops up lots of text while you are playing the game telling you what stuff does; not bad in itself, but it locks all the other buttons until you click the one it wants you to (Alt-End cancels out of the tutorial at any time).

So in summary I would say if you want a light strategy game where you also get to drive some fairly rare steel beasties, this will give you quite a bite of fun. It is still a tenner for a couple of days on Gamersgate, and for that I would say it's a steal - I would have been perfectly happy paying more for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks Stellar Duck and Mechanicus_ for the info. The game seems promising. Unfortunately I dont have Visa/Mastercard since foreign credit card accounts are difficult to be applied for here. But would definitely look for ways to get my hands on this game.

Network Hub
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ng-2-Smugglier

Try posting there and see if someone takes it into their heart to help you out.