Thread: Motherboard

Activated Node

Motherboard

Hi folks,

I need a new motherboard for a budget of 40-60. My other one is so old now I'm really out of date with the latest gee-whizz features.

Since I dont want to upgrade anything else I need something that works with these parts:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
    Ram: 4gb DDR2 @ 333mhz (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: Geforce GTX 460 (1024mb)
    HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)

My old motherboard is a MSI P35 (MS-7360) which seems to be causing my computer to bluescreen a lot with Win 7 (a not uncommon problem with this mobo apparently)

Grateful for any suggestions!

Glow

Activated Node
    additional note:

My searching suggests its near impossible to get a DDR2 board with socket 775 that isnt microATX.

Since I need a full size board I guess that may mean going to DDR3 which means buying more ram...so suggestions for what ram would be welcome too

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    additional note:

My searching suggests its near impossible to get a DDR2 board with socket 775 that isnt microATX.

Since I need a full size board I guess that may mean going to DDR3 which means buying more ram...so suggestions for what ram would be welcome too
    DDR3 is currently very cheap, so just get the fastest RAM with the tightest timings you can that's under ~$15/4GB. Any name brand will do.

You might have better luck with used 775 boards via ebay or hardware forums.

Activated Node
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-P5B-M...puters_title_3

Found this...would mean not having to upgrade RAM. Is DDR3 significantly better than DDR2?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-P5B-M...puters_title_3

Found this...would mean not having to upgrade RAM. Is DDR3 significantly better than DDR2?
    On 775, it's a marginal improvement. You likely won't notice the speed difference, but since you can get 8GB DDR3 for dirt cheap, you'll likely notice a difference there. You can also reuse the RAM whenever you decide to upgrade.

Activated Node
    any mobo suggestion then?