Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Network Hub
    @LordHuggington

I actually appreciated that they don't force you to use the rock blaster. It's a much more entertaining challenge to use just the right amount of inertia via gravity toggling to bonk a guy on the head with a crate. And I figure if Rochard himself can live through that, then they can. The Skypolice can just clean up later. I've had my FFFFF moments though, where I've had to really resist the urge to use the rock blaster. Like that upside-down room. Trying to bounce one of the large crates in there was a nightmare, and yet it was so, so satisfying.

Sometimes it's nice to have a change of pace like this. It reminds me of what I've always loved about games. There's a certain elegance and charm to it that's far too rare, the same sort of elegance and charm that Portal has. I suppose Rochard is one of the first instances of a developer aping Valve commercially, and I think that that's a good thing.

@trjp

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Trine i like, Trine 2 too, both great games. But there's a certain... clumsiness to Trine. Not just in the controls, but in the design. I can't be too angry at it because they are wonderful little games, but it seems as though with Trine the execution falls just short of the vision. The same is true with Magicka, really, since you bring that up. I actually think that Magicka could use a pause mode where you can line up spells, and have it work on multiplayer servers too a la NWN where it can be enabled/disabled on the server side. But yeah, those are great examples of execution just falling short.

But with Rochard, it's ... I don't know what the right word to apply here, really. Unexpected, I suppose. It's unexpected that it's so unknown, because it has its vision, and it pulls it off with aplomb, and in doing so it becomes inherently a more enjoyable experience than Trine. It doesn't ever fumble, it gets everything right. Or it has for the amount of it that I've played so far. And to me it feels like a really good game, which is why I'm surprised that it hasn't had more coverage.

And I was tempted by -SlotMachineHeadMan- (just pretend that's a strikethrough, I wish the forum software allowed for that) HARD RESET too. I really was. The only thing that held me back is that I think it would absolutely butcher my laptop. I'm still currently figuring out an upgrade, and ... it would probably not enjoy inhabiting this old thing.

Finally! I had not tried FUEL Refueled! Good grief, I'm going to end up installing that again, too. >_>

Still, I absolutely do not at all mind an excuse to install FUEL again.

*adjusts list.*

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    My Copy of Death Knights of Krynn stands in my Classics Collection,beside Games like System Shock 2,Diablo,Nox,Homeworld Cataclysm.

I have played Stuff like Bards Tale (c64),Phantasy 3 (Atari ST),Wizards Crown (PC),TOEE.And most of the others.
    DUDE.
    You just had to mention my all-time favorites on the C64, didja? T_T
    Add to that Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (which I played on the Sega Genesis).

@Wulf:
    Hey, every bit of loving for Grand Ages Rome is good, knowutamsayin'? XD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Possible early candidate for not hyped yet interesting and good: Sequence. I got it in the sale for almost no monies, and while I'm only starting off it's looking pretty neat. High concept: Puzzle Quest meets Dance Dance Revolution.

You fight monsters by matching directions in DDR style. You have three areas in which blocks fall- one for defending yourself from damage, one to cast your spells, and one to gather mana. You switch back and forth as you need to. It sounds a little overwhelming, but it's quite intuitive. It has lots of satisfying RPG trappings. You craft your gear from monster loot, and learn different spells which do different things.

It's neat. If I keep at it and keep enjoying at it I may write a more detailed post.

I got it that way as well. I played through the 1st floor and would probably have reached 2nd if the game didn't let me use a rare reagent (that was really meant for the key) to craft some artefact. When I finally realized, I kept on playing in the hope that the reagent would pop up again as the rare drop from the derp fish. No such luck!

I liked the humor in the tutorial, but was generally unimpressed by the music and, while the game encourages you to follow the rhythm rather than just watch and pressing, I felt this was only partly working at the default difficulty level. Tell you what, I'm gonna give another try right now.

Obscure Node
    Wow, nice discussions and I am really kicking myself for not buying Rochard in the sale.
    Though given all your praise that game seems too hyped to be in this thread.
    This thread is really nice and I enjoyed reading your "Defense" of the game that you feel has not received due diligence.
    Sadly it also fill my backlog even further. - maybe an idea for a new thread? "which game on my backlog should I attack first"

Here are two game that I really enjoy and that I think everybody should check out, also I feel the You! in this thread would enjoy these specific titles

Chime
    Music puzzle game that is really relaxing while still being fun.
    It is a game that I keep getting back to and is ideal for a quick 5-15 minutes session. But beware those felt 15 minutes can end up being 2 hours. Also this game finally brought my girlfriend into gaming, though since she got into Plant vs. Zombies over Christmas, i think that should be a cautionary tale; I really miss her.

Bastion
    I do not know if this game qualifies as underhyped, however in my social circles many haven't heard of it and it is the game I really adore. I cannot praise it enough. And I honestly i cannot really put it into words why i really liked the game. I had an honest emotional reaction to the game, the story and the characters. Something I never really had in any game.

Network Hub
    Ah, that's not what I meant. When I say hype, I meant that it's had a lot of marketing and front page articles. If you think of something like Minecraft, which has had adverts, and more front page articles than it knows what to do with, then that's a hyped game. It's a damned good game! But, for those exact reasons, it's not a game we need to mention here.

Then you have stuff like Rochard, and Nimbus, and Shadow Era, and those games that most of the Internet are barely even aware of. The sort of games that have seen next to no reviews (or none at all) on the big sites, but we're still passionate about regardless. And really, even if you think a game has had some attention but not enough, then feel free to mention it. Like I said, gaming is like a sea of stars, there's a lot of brilliance out there but sometimes we can't see the stars for the galaxy.

Or so to speak.

And it's a shame that those games get overlooked, because they seem every bit as good as the media darlings which are getting a lot of attention. So when that happens, the only thing we can do to help these developers assure success is word of mouth. We have to tell people what no one else seems to be, and that's what this thread's for.

As for Chime, I'm going to have to look into that. It sounds like my sort of thing. I have weird tastes that seem to encompass that sort of thing, though usually I do play that sort of thing when I'm lazing around with the tabl

As for Sequence... I pretty much had the same problem with it exactly. :| And that's a shame because it seemed such a clever little thing, and the humour was really up there. (So snarky!) But I got stuck about there and I lost the desire to go back and start over. Still, I do plan on going back to it eventually, it's just a matter of finding the time.

Hrmnn... what can I mention now that I have not?

Ooh, Shatter! Shatter was really good and had some of the most amazing music I've heard in a game. Really, hit up the Shatter OST on Youtube and have a listen, to the Argon Refinery in particular. I spoke lovingly of this game before, and I can do again. Ultimately, it's an Arkanoid-style game, but it's one that really remakes it in a very, very modern way. It's a more intelligent game, now, and one that requires more observational skill and reflexes. Not to say that it's too hard, though, since I managed it. Really, it's just fun, and some of the bosses are appreciably tricky.

I even liked the story of Shatter. It was... such a weird, abstract story. It was a very... either alternate-Universe/post-Singularity/I-Am-On-Drugs sort of thing. Essentially, it starts with a mining done who's using a plasmatic device to chip away at resources in a hive-like structure, in each segment, there are drones doing the same. One drone misses. It's a complete fluke, an incident of serendipity, but in that moment it discovers fun. And that sparks sapience, because it realises how trapped it is, and it makes a run for it.

Eventually you realise that essentially it wouldn't take a lot for all of these mining drones to gain sapience, and that they're all slaves. Maybe they once had sapience and it was engineered out of them, or they were created to be smart enough, but not smart enough to have the revelation of self-awareness. And this is an Arkanoid game. Yes.

Anyway, the ending... and this is a spoiler, but eh, it may even convince you to play it, results in the freedom of all of these little mining drones. And it finishes the way it ends, they try to replicate their tasks whilst in the hive. And they discover that they now have freedom of control, they learn fun, they learn how to play, and they pretty much live happily ever after. And I am so, so okay with that story. ...what? Yes, I'm a sentimental old fool who's touched by the story of a mining drone struggling for basic right for him and his people to have fun. Or something. I don't know.

On some level I suppose it reminds me of Batteries Not Included. I liked that, too.

Shush.

Anyway, look it up on Youtube. Youtube will explain it better than I can, and it'll introduce you to the music.

Network Hub
    ON Arma:

OFP: Cold War Crisis is hands down my favorite campaign game in the series. It is in fact the only game in the series (OFP, Arma, Arma 2 + expansions) that I've played the campaign for more than an hour. It seemed a lot more fun and less clunky than its newer brethren. However I often wonder if we have become Arma veterans and that has affected our view of the series.

When I first played OFP I was terrified of combat. I followed my squad religiously, did what they did, I remember having bullets whizz over my head and just hiding in a little dip in the ground hoping I wouldn't get shot, I remember rounding a corner in one of the first missions and seeing a Russian at close range for the first time I emptied my clip, and just manage to hit him with my last few rounds. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced before.

Now when I play Arma 2 I generally lack these moments. The hyper-realistic combat that Arma tries to present has become mundane to me. I take risks that would be common in Call of Duty games and I've become much better than the AI in most situations. As a result I've been pushing the limits on what my computer can support in terms of units. Creating battles when hundreds of infantry and tens of tanks. Various air assets and AAA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll second Sequence - picked-it-up on 360 a while back and I just love it's attitude and style...

The writing is razor sharp - the game is decent (tho it can be a BIT punishing for people who aren't brilliant and DDR-style joypad antics) - it's worth the price on the tin, for sure...

Music by this man too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2aH4XLbto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-FC...eature=related

His HATS are worth the admission price, frankly...

The "how to play" video for Sequence is also a masterpiece and - again - more worthy of Ģ3.99 than most of the shit in Blockbuster :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdHilguGIs

You have to be crazy not to love it - pinky swear :)

p.s. I'm almost done with Rochard now and it remains a lovely title, abeit that it does get a bit 'tough' towards the end. My ONLY complaint, really, is that the token collecting is thrown-in as an afterthought (no guidance to which you've found/not found - just the 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% achievements for them).
    Last edited by trjp; 04-01-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Network Hub
    Yeah, the token collecting in VVVVVV and Blade Kitten was a bit like that too, though. I agree that more could be done with that sort of thing, but often it's the mere drive that gets me. Explodemon is the same, pretty much.

"I see a thing. It is a thing. I do not know how to get the thing. But I see a thing. A mysterious thing of mystery. I must find my way to the thing just to know that I did."

I'm like that. It's just the rush of discovery when it clicks as to how one actually gets these things. It's sort of like a scavenger hunt for me - I'm not in it for the rewards. I just want to be able to say that I found stuff.

Though this is very easy to get wrong. As much as I love the LEGO games, they do get it wrong. If a game forces you do do lots of backtracking and replaying in order to get at something, rather than it being a puzzle solved by ingenuity rather than new powers, then I think it's doing it wrong. Backtracking works for some things, but not for stuff like that. It can actually detract from the enjoyment of the game for me, because I can't 'figure it out' because it's not meant to be figured out until later on.

But thankfully? That part, at least, is something that all of Rochard, VVVVVV, Blade Kitten, and Explodemon get right.

I'd really love to see more weight added to collecting shinies, but hopefully never at the expense of getting that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    "I see a thing. It is a thing. I do not know how to get the thing. But I see a thing. A mysterious thing of mystery. I must find my way to the thing just to know that I did."
    I'm like this too, and it's even worse if there's some sort of achievement bar telling me about how many I still need to find because then I think, "OMG! There's things I don't even know about. They're probably scared and alone. I must find them all!"

Anyway, getting toward the end of the Skyrig HQ level in Rochard, and still having a great time. I'm finding that sometimes I over think the puzzles though, like the rooms with multiple lasers that you need to get past. I was going for a really complicated solution in one case, then it dawned on me it would be so much easier if I just did X instead of Y.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well I finished Rochard and nothing went hugely wrong in doing so...

The clock said 6.5hours - and they were an almost completely enjoyable 6.5 hours too! I can't think of a game which has made better use of low-gravity - nor can I think of a game which has avoided milking it's ideas to death this well either...

There was one surprise tho - the credits roll (as you'd expect) and they go on for EONS (longer than the track which plays over them!!) I realise this isn't a "one man band" indie title but there are 100s of people listed, the full range of "utter nonsense" business titles are represented too - does a Ģ7 DD title need a "Senior VP in charge of Legal and Administrative Affairs" and a "VP in Charge of Legal and Administrative Affairs" as well!? Did they really do anything to justify wasting my time telling me about it!?(*)

(*) a lot of these are probably Sony staff as this was a PSN release - but it's still a whopping list...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Heh, I was gonna mention Sequence but I wanted to make sure I actually enjoyed it, rather than just playing it once and forgetting it. I've launched it 6 times now, that's like 6 times more than I launch most steam games. I also ordered 2 dance mats to play with. Amazing what a Ģ2 impulse purchase can make you do. I've not had any problems getting the rare items, either :/

Activated Node
    I'm halfway through Rochard after it had been gifted to me by a friend during the last sale and man am I impressed. There's been so many good indie games being called unpolished gems, but if there's one worthy of being called polished, it has to be Rochard. Not unlike Wulf I found Rochard doing some stuff even better than Trine, which has been my pinnacle of phyiscs-based platform puzzling until now. Were Trine could sometimes get you in a tricky situation trying to solve certain puzzles with only one character left, the pacing and puzzling in Rochard is all so unbelievably smooth.

And don't even get me started on the presentation or the music, because I'm not sure how they did it, but it all feels exactly the way it should (except for some pieces of voice-acting, but that's just nitpicking).

edit: also loving Cave Story+ although I'm not sure whether that one's hyped or not. Very charming game non the less and even though it seems rather minimalist at times compared to other games in the genre, there's an impressive amount of personality to it too rare in games.

I just love it when a game feels like this perfect total experience.
    Last edited by Fredie007; 07-01-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Banned
    I played Sequence more than I expected also, recommend it even to people who think they won't like it. :)

I'm hooked on binding on isaac at the moment. I'd write more about it but I'd rather play.

Sooo.... yeah, first post here. Dear lord you guys write a lot. o.O

Anyway, just pitchin' in what I can.Highly recommend The Witcher (surprising how many people haven't played the first one, it's really a work of art--and there's a few new mods out), World of Goo, and Zeno Clash (queer game, but a nice stroll through a bizarre world).

Quote Originally Posted by AOwpr View Post
    Sooo.... yeah, first post here. Dear lord you guys write a lot. o.O

Anyway, just pitchin' in what I can.Highly recommend The Witcher (surprising how many people haven't played the first one, it's really a work of art--and there's a few new mods out), World of Goo, and Zeno Clash (queer game, but a nice stroll through a bizarre world).
    I played through Zeno Clash a little while ago. It's a pretty short game, but I thought it was an interesting experience. The visuals were unique, and it had been a while since I'd played a first person action game (last one was probably Maken X on the Dreamcast). Picked up Ace Team's new game, Rock of Ages, at the Steam sale. Good, silly fun there.

Activated Node
    Iīm playing Gray Matter right now, Jane Jensenīs latest adventure game, and have done 60% of chapter 2, and so far itīs really awesome. Iīm aware that there are some issues later on, but so far itīs been really good. Once you get pass the ugly UI, character models and animation, you will find an adventure game of pure class. The puzzle structure, the way the story is told, the characters, the atmosphere, the music and the cutscenes - all great. Anyone with the slightest interest of genre should try this out and complete chapter 1 at least.