[EVENT] [Sun] 08 January 2012 - Folk/ARPS, CiA & LDDK Joint Session

What's the scoop?
    We (Folk/ARPS) have invited our comrades from LDDK and CiA to come over and help us shoot people.

What are LDDK and CiA?
    The illustrious LDD Kyllikki (LDDK) is an OFP/ArmAx group that has been around for a very long time indeed. Over 10 years, in fact! The folks at CiA have been running sessions for almost as long.

What are the people from LDDK and CiA like?
    Lovely. We've had many joint sessions with them in the past, and greatly enjoyed shooting each other in the face. Here are some AAR threads from the more recent joint sessions:

Where I can I find out more?
    Please see this thread in the Folk forum (requires an account to view):
    [Sun] 08 January 2012 - Folk/ARPS, CiA & LDDK Joint Session

A reminder to everyone who will be playing in the Folk/ARPS/CiA platoon at this event:

Reminder: If you don't already know how to configure and use TeamSpeak 3's Channel Commander feature, please re/re-read the Getting started with TeamSpeak 3 (for ArmA2) thread before the event, even if you do not plan on taking a leadership role. Thank you.

Reminder: The event is tomorrow, and starts at the earlier-than-usual time of 19:00 UK (but please try to be there earlier so we can slot quickly).

Obscure Node
    I'm gonna be home later than that (probably around 20:30, which would be 19:30 UK). Can I join late, or is that not an option. Also my first time playing with the RPS people, but not my first time playing ARMA online.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    I'm gonna be home later than that (probably around 20:30, which would be 19:30 UK). Can I join late, or is that not an option. Also my first time playing with the RPS people, but not my first time playing ARMA online.
    As the mission's perma death with no JIP I'm afraid you won't be able to join. Unless unforeseen events delay the start of the session.

Not meant to sound condescending but depending on how much and with whom you've played Arma 2 online the experience with ARPS/FOLK might be quite different so playing in a regular session on Tuesday or Sunday might be the better idea anyway.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 08-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.

AI for slots taken by players will be turned on, right?
    Because I've had bad experiences with crashing and then not being able to join back in because AI wasn't enabled.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

We're filling the server atm. Hopping on now would be ace.

Official AAR thread for this event is here:
    http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/fo...php?f=10&t=396

If you participated in the event, please post your thoughts, feedback and any footage/screenshots there. Many thanks :)

Activated Node
    The group photo screenshots. I should had upped the graphics before taking them but everyone was in a hurry so I couldn't bother with that.

Activated Node
    Whats that on the upper right corner, Wolf? GPS?

Crossposting from the relevant Folk thread, please post your AARs, pictures, videos and insights there:
    I will be posting an AAR and a full video (1+ hours!) of the whole mission. For now I will say that this session was way beyond amazing. Super mega thanks to everyone involved in organizing and playing it, you are what makes this game awesome. Trivia buffs might want to know I counted 17 different flags in Teamspeak window when we started out. Gaming brings people together wonderfully.

I also bring some map screenshots to help remember tonight's events. They're a bit centered around my squad (Charlie), but you should be able to make out what's going on. The images are pretty huge so I'll just provide links.

The initial plan, and platoons on the move.
    Platoons moving on their initial objectives. This is where Fer said it'd be pretty cool if someone screenshotted the plan right about now.
    Preparing assault on the first compound.
    And same for the second compound.
    Just before the final assault. Thanks from Charlie to whoever took out that T-34 marked Tank...
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
    Whats that on the upper right corner, Wolf? GPS?
    GPS with TrueUser mod. Forgot to toggle it off.

Charlie FTL
    |- Mr.Weed (AR)
    |- Harakka (AAR)
    |- Xenu (RRPG)

The first stage

We rode the truck to our first waypoint where we drove into what looked like an ambush. The BTR-40 opened up but I couldn't tell if a heavy MG was returning fire and ordered my squad into nearby cover from where we could flank the enemy if necessary. Turns out the ambush wasn't that much of a trouble and we went west again, to our initial position, where I got a glimpse of an enemy further up the riverbed. They apparently were moving on our flanks and managed to hit Tigershark. I called Fox/Echo that they were coming straight for them while Bravo and we moved up the riverbed to get the enemy from behind and their flanks. More enemies were seen in the far distance at Zargabad but we were ordered to disengage and return to the Riverbed to move towards the Grads.

Assault on the Grads

While waiting for our Go-order we could already hear the first Platoon engaging the enemies. An enemy patrol got very close to our position but was taken out with no losses. We moved towards the Grads and took position on the dunes with a steady trickle of enemies coming through the woods from SW and W. Things got hairy when we were engaged by two T-34s. Though Xenu and me managed to take out the first with the little RPG we had, the second managed to avoid getting hit and came driving towards us. I think it was a RPG from the advancing third Element (Echo/Fox) that got a rocket into it's flank and got it to bail about 50m before it would have been right on us. After things had called down we moved further South to get into position for the final assault.

To glory

All elements formed a big line with us and Bravo (I think) forming the center. Without having any flanks to secure I ordered all of my men forward until we reached the first walls from where we started clearing compounds. It was amazing to see several squads hit these walls from the outside in unisono, form up in covering position and then start clearing the compounds in one swift move. We kept moving further West and my bloodlust got us a bit further ahead of everyone else. We were the first to sight the last T-34 which was moving about 200m away from us, forcing us to take over in a nearby grove. I inquired CO if we were allowed to charge it with satchels but apparently heroics aren't en vogue any more and the T-34 got taken out in the most boring way by a RPG. Alas it allowed me to be in the final group shot and get some more footage of clearing an empty town.

Conclusion

That was simply amazing. Thanks to everyone who participated, easily one of the best ARMA2 sessions i took part in.
    It's always good as a FTL if you know the guys in your squad and I couldn't have been happier with both the Squad I got and the other Squad (Delta under SVDvorak) i formed an element with. Excellent perfomance all around from the lowly grunt to the whole platoon.

Screenshots and Video will follow.

2Plt DC (aka Driver)
    |- Baz (Medic)

I counted a peak of 64 players on the server. Im unsure if we hit a cap in the server configuration files (if we did it was my fault) but as LDDK were all slotted in 1Plt and 2Plt was completely full, I think we managed to get everyone into the mission anyway.

Id originally slotted as 2Plt Bravo FTL, but as we lacked volunteers for the 2Plt DC post Comrade Fer asked me to step up. Im going to attribute the assignment to my history of commanding bizarrely successful missions and ordering gloriously suicidal charges whenever I think were out of our depth.

As Deputy Commander of the 2nd Platoon my job was to take over 2nd Platoon if and when the Company HQ (Tigershark) section all died, including 2nd Platoon CO (Unaco). As Id not been invited to the planning session and would have to wing it, I could only assume Company HQ were going to stay well back. In a rare display of competence, this actually turned out to be the case.

Fortunately I was able to make a couple of minor suggestions to 2Plt CO rather than just sit there fingering my revolver. We all piled into trucks at the start and I was the driver of the lead vehicle, a BTR 40 containing HMG/MAT/MTR teams as well as myself and the 2Plt DC Medic. Feeling more cocksure than 1Plt I elected to take us through the centre of the city whilst Draakon navigated. The city itself was clear, and our column of four trucks book-ended by BTR 40s kept a very tight formation at good speed. As we approached one of the river crossings leading out of the city I spotted our first problem; the road was blocked by a camper van, surrounded with mines. As I called it in, AK fire started to ping off the viewing slit of my vehicle. 2Plt CO ordered a quick dismount but I think the gunner of my vehicle got the only hostile. Meanwhile the infantry elements, 2Plt Alpha through 2Plt Fox fire teams, swept the surrounding area for further resistance.

After some minor reorganisation (I believe some of the transport trucks had to be abandoned), I joined up with the infantry. Out platoon was split up into four parts, 2Plt Alpha + 2Plt Bravo, 2Plt Charlie + 2Plt Delta, 2Plt Echo + 2PLt Fox and a support element Company HQ (Inc 1Plt CO, 2Plt CO) with 2Plt MTR, MMG and MAT teams. The first three elements were tasked with advancing down a dried up river bed in the hopes of coming out right on top of the first target: a cluster of four Grads. The plan was that Id be in position to relay the situation of the infantry to 2Plt CO and assist with medical support. Unfortunately, the Company medical team had forgotten to pack their gear properly and so I had to release Baz to CO HQ. We were lucky that the infantry suffered no significant casualties before he was returned to us.

The advance itself was a little sloppier than would have been ideal; it took several minutes for the rearmost elements to catch up with the leaders and I passed my time by observing that a grenade would kill most of the people in whatever squad I was currently looking at. Im not usually a stickler for unit spacing, but as we were in a narrow riverbed and unused to acting as pairs of fire teams it seemed appropriate. It also made me feel important from the middle of the formation. Some people even listened to me!

The terrain worked in our favour it was so rough that I didnt see a single living enemy from my position. I did get to watch a pinpoint precision mortar strike land right on top of a dozen enemy corpses though.

The assault on the Grads went off without a hitch, I dont think we actually lost anyone until wed taken their position and were throwing off enemy counterattacks. I started helping some poor automatic rifleman walk his shots in on a target 600 m distant with my binoculars with mixed success. Using an un-scoped AK at anything above 450 m requires some form of psychic power, so I never did get to expend any of my own ammo.

Whilst we waited for 1Plt to get into position Baz returned along with an ammo truck. Wed had sporadic light vehicle and T34 contacts to the south and west and wasted most of our RPGs on long shots. I directed people to the ammo and had the injured line up amongst the Grads for treatment. CO HQ asked for a volunteer to resupply 1Plt using the ammo truck, and lacking anything better to do I volunteered.

I parked the truck next to 1Plts medical vehicle and resupplied a fire team or so of infantry as well as a BTR 40. It was interesting to see that 1Plt was using a scoped rifle to coordinate their movements instead of binoculars, but as a simple trucker I might have interpreted incorrectly.

When 1Plt moved off I joined up with CO HQ to resupply those BTR 40s. On the way I almost got stuck in the river bed and was thankful that the truck I was driving had such large tyres. A more compact vehicle would probably have bogged down on the banks.

Things progressed quickly after that. Wed taken a second objective whilst I was driving around, and were preparing to assault the final objective of Shabhaz in short order. I was too far back from the action to see things first-hand but I do know that an errant T-34 mowed down a half dozen people. I believe 2Plt CO himself futilely tried to distract it with some AK rounds from 500 meters out. This wasnt really a necessary action as in the face of some 50 surviving players the tank did not last long.

The Shabhaz compound fell soon after and we lined up in front of it for tea and photographs. Tigershark gave a speech and someone let off a bomb. No, literally. That one grenade caused more casualties than the entire opposing force.

If I find whoever that was, I will carve your head from your shoulders myself! :commissar:

Unaco
    2PLT CO (aka the Distant Watcher)

Introduction

First thing... Wow. That was quite a turnout (~65 people), and well done by Fer to keep us all wrangled, and getting us all slotted, without too much delay or explosions. One thing I will say (for ARPS people), because I was your CO and this isn't all kittens and sunshine dammit!!... People were dying out there... all that blood... on MY HANDS!!!... errr, sorry... yes, one thing I'll say is, in future, do not leave testing/setting up of TeamSpeak/Channel Commander/Communications until we're slotting. There is plenty of time in the week before a session to get it working, and, if it was working last week, or a few days previously, it's not likely to have stopped working in the interim. OK, moan over.

Yes, so... I was asked (blackmailed with the life of my special little Tchotchka) by Fer if I would like to Command the 2nd Platoon (the ARPS/FOLK/CiA contingent) for the coming session. 20 minutes before we started to slot. Of course, I had to say yes. Tigershark would be in overall command, and 1st Platoon would be acting separate to 2nd... and I would be expected to control our lot, keep them on target and organised and relay orders from Tiger to the rest of us. I will say, I felt there was a slight deficiency at a certain level of our Command, but that was ALL my fault, and due to my shortcomings. I felt, in hindsight, that I wasn't giving enough Command and communication to the Fireteams/Elements, and for that I do apologise. I was tending to say "right, infantry move up to here, keep the same positioning, and do this", when I should have been a bit more explicit on Element/Fire Team positioning and roles. I'll remember that for next time... for some reason (perhaps because I was up on that hill, far away from you all) I thought someone else would have been doing that. But they weren't.

Finally, before we get to the plan... We were using a slightly ad-hoc organisation, that I think worked for that session. We used 4 Elements, the first 3 consisting of 2 fireteams each (A&B, C&D, E&F) and the 4th being Command and the Support Teams. On top of that, the 'Elements', as I was calling them, referred to the 6 fireteams (and the DC&Medic tagging along with them). Our order of battle, therefore, was...

1 CO.
    6 Fireteams of 4 men, Alpha through Fox.
    DC & his Medic
    MG Team
    MAT Team
    Mortar Team
    1 BTR 40, 3 VS35's and an Ammo Truck.

A Plan

While everyone stared at the Map screen patiently, Tiger relayed his plan to the rest of the command section. 1st Platoon where to move to the edge of Yarum, and then assault the compounds to the South of the City. 2nd Platoon where to move, with stealth, to a position just North East of the Grads, and then were to assault in synchrony with 1st Platoon, when they moved against the compounds. This way, it was hoped that the units near the Grads wouldn't be able to move against 1st Platoon at the compounds (as 2nd Platoon would tie them down), and that any counterattacks would be split/spread across the two targets. Further to this, the 4th Element (support and CO) where to split from the Infantry Elements, and take up a position 1 click East of the Grad targets, which gave us a fantastic view over the engagement area. Along with that, the JIP units (2 Fireteams) where to accompany the 4th Element to their vantage point, and then assault a strategic crossroads to the South East of the main engagement area. Before we commenced, Tiger gave us some suggestions as to how we were expected to move and engage, with 2nd Platoon expected to shun engagement, move down the dry riverbed with stealth, and make use of the Support Element (who had a great view of the area) to warn them of approaching patrols, the enemies positions, and any dangers, and provide some support fire.

Once the initial targets had been taken, and counterattacks repelled, Tiger was to update us on the final stages of the plan.

Initial Movement

I gave my interpretation of the plan to the Platoon, and gave them the organisation I wanted. We chose our initial waypoint, where the Elements and the Support Element would split (and the Support Element would divvy up the vehicles so we were taking some with us). I gave the positioning I wanted for the Elements (this is what I should have reiterated and been changing and communicating about during the mission... but didn't. Luckily I think you all maintained it largely, which was good) when they moved down the riverbed... Element 1 in the lead, covering South, Element 2 & 3 just behind, covering the West and East respectively. Elements were to move using the 2 fireteams, one covering, one advancing.

We got into the mission, and got our vehicle assignments with no problems... which was great! Ok, there was 1 problem. I couldn't fit into the BTR which had DC and the Support Elements, so was left to take the Ammo truck up with us, all on my own... The CO really shouldn't be driving himself, I had to be looking at maps, drinking Vat 69, and reassuring Politicians. We got a convoy order sorted, and moved out.

And hit our first snag. 1st Platoon where to move out before us, and where expected to move through the City itself, thus engaging the small number of enemy that may have been there. I was expecting 2nd Platoon to race through in their wake, and not need to worry until we got out to the East of the city. However, 1st Platoon took a slightly circuitous route, round the city, so we were moving into uncharted territory, and had to keep alert. Luckily, there were no problems.

We made it out to the East of the town, and were close to our initial waypoint, where the two sections would split, when Null (DC, in the BTR in the lead) called in contacts ahead, as well as a roadblock and mines. Everyone disembarked and took to cover, including the main Command Element, who were following 2nd Platoon. We took some fire, but no casualties, and took out the visible targets. From here I made the decision to split early, and sent the Elements on their way to the Riverbed. I also started to get the JIPs and Support elements organised for our move to our the overwatch position, getting the essential vehicles manned. While this was going on, enemy contacts were reported to our West, heavy fire came in, and those words, those dreaded, all too common words, appeared...

Tigershark(CO): UGH!

First Objectives

Yes, once again, Tigershark took the first bullet. Once again, I feared our glorious leader wouldn't live to see us all carry out the flawless plan he had given us/die horribly, screaming for our families and loved ones. I got our Elements to take cover, tentatively try and get eyes on the attackers, and return fire, and went back to check on Tiger. Thankfully, he wasn't dead, and Fer was taking care of him next to the Command BTR. This did bring up our next problem... Lack of medics. We only had 1, the DC medic, who was with the Elements, and didn't have one with the Command/Support Element. Tiger got back on his feet, we took care of any immediate threats, and got back to moving... Elements down the riverbed, Support up to the Hills.

On the way I had to remind the Elements they weren't there to engage, and to get them back into the Riverbed, using Stealth. After that, with some minor chastisement and direction from Null, they were fine, moved down just short of their position. Support/CO had moved to their position and had a good view on the target. A large patrol was moving towards the elements down the Riverbed. The cover was in our advantage, and would mean they would advance right towards us. I ordered the elements to hold and firm up, and get ready for the engagement. It was so close to the Grad objective, that I worried they might be alerted, and come in force before we could attack. Luckily, the patrol fell quickly, and 1st Platoon where in a position to start their assault, meaning we could move from the patrol, and start attacking the Grads. Some mortars where put down, and some charging was done. That's really all I could make out.

After that, we did some logistics, rearming and healing (thanks to Null for dealing with that, me and the other COs where enjoying a celebratory Scotch and cigar, and I didn't really want to get off my field chair), and held position. I knew the Elements where getting a little antsy, asking for new orders... We had to hold though, to weather the counterattack (as there was no cover South against Tanks) because the hills around the Grads where good cover, and to wait for 1st Platoon to finish up their assault. I sent the MAT team down to help against any vehicular onslaught. In all, about 3 T34s and a couple of Technicals came at the Elements, and were taken out. With the counterattack repulsed, and everyone rearmed, we got ready for the final objectives, moving the Elements and CO to positions further South, after the JIPs had secured a small crossroads, and eliminated some contacts there.

Final Objectives

The final 2 objectives went pretty quickly, with an assault on a set of buildings (softened up by Mortar and Support fire) being charged!! And then a combined assault on Shabhaz. The assault on Shabhaz was stalled slightly by a pesky T34, and a lack of AT (where did it all go? Too many wasted shots I believe, these things cost money don't you know?!?). Luckily, someone came to the rescue, and took it out with minimal casualties... although I did feel a slight tug at my heart as I observed it turning its turret on my boys and firing a few shells... the burden of command I guess. I sent the local serving girl for more wine, pulled myself together, finished dinner, and got on with the task at hand... admonishing the troops for suggesting foolish Hollywood heroics, and not keeping stock of their AT situation. Also, getting them ready to storm Shabhaz. After that, Shabhaz was quite easy. We moved to position and assaulted from the South and East, while 1st Platoon came in from the North and West. I actually did start running towards, hoping to fire a couple shots, maybe stand over a corpse and pretend I'd made it (which I had in a way, through delegation).

All in all, a great session. Thanks to Fer for organising the mission. To Tigershark for his excellent planning and encouragement, and for giving us all a laugh by taking that first bullet. Thanks to CiA, and LDDK for attending, and to all of ARPS for showing up (mostly on time). And thanks to FOLK for having us.
    Last edited by Unaco; 10-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

At 3,746 words, I'm afraid my AAR post breaks the word limit here, so rather than cross-post here's a direct link to it in the AAR thread on the Folk forum: http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/fo...6&p=2151#p2151

(sorry, I got a bit carried away!)