ARPS-compatible mods

There are a lot of ARMA2 mods out there. You're not required to install any mods to play in regular ARPS or Folk sessions, and should in fact not have any significant mods enabled when connecting to the ARPS or Folk server, this goes especially for ACE.

With that said, there are many mods that can improve your experience or help in mission making, yet don't give you an unfair advantage or cause trouble for others. We are cool with mods like that, and this thread is the place for you to post about them.
    Please double check you're linking to the current version of any mods you post about, or a place where one can find out what the current version is and get it. If you notice any of the mods linked in the thread not working or being out of date, please post about it, linking to a current version if possible.

I'll start the thread with four mods I highly recommend:
    • ShackTac Fireteam HUD aka STHUD, requires CBA (linked to below): improves situational awareness by adding a HUD element showing the position of your nearby teammates relative to your position. Makes moving and acting as a team a lot better.
      Update: The latest version also features a cardinal direction compass!
    • Community Base Addons: this mod doesn't affect anything on its own but is required by STHUD.
    • ShackTac Movement addons: Makes movement less clunky indoors and near structures, trees and suchlike. Download link in the first post of this Bohemia forum thread.
    • Okt_NoBlur: ARMA2 has very noticeable motion blur when playing with the post processing graphical option turned on, especially if your FPS is low. Oktane’s NoBlur mod will disable it, letting you still enjoy the other nice post-processing effects. This may also give you a nice FPS boost. Note you need the OA 1.60 version, or whatever version OA happens to be when you read this, for use with Combined Ops.
    Last edited by harakka; 28-01-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

A couple of visual and sound enhancements, if you've got processing power to spare.
    • Blastcore - enhanced explosions, smoke and general shiny things.
    • JSRS - improved sounds for a lot of things. Sounds really good!

I also use these two, though I'm reluctant to post them as they don't really do that much:
    • Map Plus I only use it for removing the texture pop-in on the map screen and improved contour highlights. Apparently it has a load of drawing tools too, but don't expect others to see anything.
    • TrueUser improves the look of the interface. Don't use TrueGameplay as that requires server mods which we don't have. When installing you should delete the TrueUser_Fov, TrueUser_Fov_AutoZoom and TrueUser_xhair.pbo files. Those three change your perspective and zoom settings way too much as well as replacing the crosshair with a much wider and less accurate bracket.

Usage notes:

• If you’re using the steam command line to run Arma with those addons you’ll probably need to shorten some of the @foldernames as the amount of characters allowed in the command line is limited.
    • If running Combined Ops all the @folders can (and should) be placed in the OA root folder, otherwise you’d have to point to them with the full path instead of a simple -mod=@foldername;@folder2;…;@folderFinal;
    • ALWAYS LOAD @CBA; FIRST!
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 03-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Also, if you're going to be experimenting with mods it might be worth getting some kind of launcher program to handle the modstrings. This is very useful if you want to mess with ACE, which, as well as needing several mods included, also tends to break other servers not using it, so it's important to be able to easily disable it.

This is the one I use.

There are many game launchers around to help you run the game with different mods. I've found the ARMA II Launcher by Alpinestars to be the simplest to use, but your mileage may vary.
    There's nothing wrong with using ARMA2's in-built in expansions menu if you only need one set of mods though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    This is the one I use.
    Hello, my name is Fer. When I'm helping to organise revolutionary forces to bring about a socialst agrarian utopia, I like to use SpiritMachine's launcher for ArmA2. It's effective at managing mods and tough on the causes of plaque. Plus, it keeps my breath minty fresh the whole day long. Try it today!

Was that okay? Do we need to do another cut?

New version of STHUD now has a cardinal direction compass! This is something I've wanted for a long time. Link is still in the 1st post.
    There's also an included usermenu addon (open with Shift+Alt+H) that allows you to disable the compass. Remember to do this for missions where you're not supposed to have one, such as Jolly Green.

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    New version of STHUD now has a cardinal direction compass! This is something I've wanted for a long time.
    This is beautiful! It should be possible to enforce players HUD options with scripting, hopefully?

Also, new JSRS patch: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15882

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Mikey released four small but very neat addons of his over at ciahome.net:

mk4_mapInfo

mk4_hud_info

Adjustable NightVision

AT sights guide
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 23-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    This one is rumored to cause a big perfomance increase on cherna:
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7549
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 17-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.