Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Activated Node
    When playing DayZ you're only allowed to have DayZ as an active mod. This is to stop cheaters/exploits and breaking the servers.

Obscure Node
    That's a shame, but thanks for the reply!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I suppose this is the appropriate place to ask about my tech issue with DayZ:

The game itself runs fine at first, but after a while it starts having sudden slowdowns/freezes. First they're kinda uncommon and so small they're barely noticeable, but little by little they become worse and worse to the point the game becomes nigh-unplayable after a while.

I think it's caused not by time, but by movement; the more of the map the game has loaded in a single play, the worse it gets. I know ArmA2 isn't exactly the most polished game ever, and having such a huge map surely has a toll, but I think my machine should be more than capable of running ArmA2 without these annoying hiccups.

My specs:
    i5 2500k, it is NOT overclocked.
    4GB Ram
    ATi HD 6850 1GB
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA3

Any help would be much appreciated.

That's certainly a weird one Rauten. One thing you can try when it starts getting rough is to flush the video memory. This can be done by pressing left shift & minus, then letting go and typing 'flush'. Nothing is displayed as you type but the keys are registered nonetheless. It's certainly not a permanent solution but hopefully it'll help in the meantime.

As an aside, more console commands can be found here.

Activated Node
    Run memtest on your RAM(one at a time) and also try using a program like Rivatuner or Afterburner to up the fanspeed on your HD6850, it could be the GFX mem getting a bit hot.

Quote Originally Posted by egg651 View Post
    That's certainly a weird one Rauten. One thing you can try when it starts getting rough is to flush the video memory. This can be done by pressing left shift & minus, then letting go and typing 'flush'. Nothing is displayed as you type but the keys are registered nonetheless. It's certainly not a permanent solution but hopefully it'll help in the meantime.

As an aside, more console commands can be found here.
    Huh, interesting, will try that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IceRaiser View Post
    Run memtest on your RAM(one at a time) and also try using a program like Rivatuner or Afterburner to up the fanspeed on your HD6850, it could be the GFX mem getting a bit hot.
    I really doubt it's a HW issue, any other game, including things like Skyrim or Saints Row 3 at nearly max settings work flawlessly and both of those are also kinda heavy on HDD usage.

I have a nearly identical system but with 8gb. In Chicago 10 today I was averaging well over 60 with no stutters at all. Maybe you should up your ram to 8 or more. Also if you're not playing on beta that may help.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I really doubt it's a HW issue, any other game, including things like Skyrim or Saints Row 3 at nearly max settings work flawlessly and both of those are also kinda heavy on HDD usage.
    It won't hurt to try it...

@Egg flushing the video RAM helps... a bit. When it's almost unbearable, it resets it back to a more bearable, playable state, but it's still there. Still, better than nothing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlac View Post
    I have a nearly identical system but with 8gb. In Chicago 10 today I was averaging well over 60 with no stutters at all. Maybe you should up your ram to 8 or more. Also if you're not playing on beta that may help.
    Is it really worthwhile? One of the reasons I went with 4GB is that after all I'm going to use the system for gaming mostly, and for now all games use 32bit executables (as retarded as it is nowadays, I mean, what was the last processor that didn't support 64bits? Pentium3?!). Is the jump to 8GB really noticeable?

Quote Originally Posted by IceRaiser View Post
    It won't hurt to try it...
    I know I know, and I thank you for your suggestions, but knowing the heavy duty usage I give to the computer, if the RAM was really fscked up, I'd have had far more errors than this; I haven't had a single BSOD, system freeze or sudden shut down since I built this machine.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Rauten: with a i7920, a 560ti and 6 Gigs of memory my Arma tends to run ok (except when there is too much AI soldiers on a map) with playable framerates. Your rig is better so the game itself should not be the problem (unless for some reason it doesn't like your rig?). As far as I know Arma is CPU-intensive so maybe check if there is something wrong with the cooler on that?

Apart from that did you try Grizzly's suggestions? They did help ameliorate my framerates a bit.

Not really, my issue isn't with the FPSs, Benchmark 1 (which people say is more representative of actual gameplay) gives me an average of 69 FPS, and ingame, when it isn't stuttering, it does move smooth and fluidly.
    As for temperature, these couple of days are being rather hot, and yet the air coming out of my computer is almost the same as my room temperature. Will keep an eye on it anyway, just in case.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions.

Have you tried the CPU startup options:
    Dual-Core processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1
    Quad-Core processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7
    Hexacore processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7

Grizzly links to it in the first post, it's from here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ns-comparisons

It's probably also worth turning down the view distance to as low as you can bear it, I think I have it at 1200m - I have a Q6600 with a HD5770 so I'm way down in spec compared to you but I have no issues running ARMA2 smoothly enough (mainly thanks to Grizzly and others who have done all the hard work for me!).

In single player / armory I get 30-70fps, thats ranging from me just running around to me blowing s**t up and making quite a bit go on. However as soon as I join a multiplayer server my fps is 20+-2.

My SP settings are High (with post processing off) and AA/AF on normal, even when I play online and put my settings down to normal/low It just stays the same.

I have read this thread, added some optimisations but its just making no difference. I know server force view distance but even in SP when I increased my view distance from 1600 to 2000 then onto 3k (I think that was as high as I went) it was no where near as bad as my MP fps.

anyone, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
    Have you tried the CPU startup options:
    Dual-Core processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1
    Quad-Core processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7
    Hexacore processor:
    -nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7
    Just did, doesn't help =( thanks for the pointer anyway.

Did some testing with MSI Afterburner and a small freeware software to keep an eye on both GPU and CPU temps. Through the whole session, hiccups included (did my best to make it as bad as possible), max CPU temperature 61C, max GPU temperature 66C. So it's not the temperature.
    I know it's not that my settings are too high because the highest load a core ever had was 58%, and the highest GPU usage (aside the spike when alt-tabbing back into the game) was 62%.

I'm sure it's something to do with loading the surrounding area to the RAM, but why it's exclusively localized to ArmA2, I have no idea. If it was a general issue due to either the RAM or the HDD, SR3 and Skyrim would've suffered it as well, but it isn't the case.

I'm going to do a reboot then try to play some vanilla ArmA2 missions, try to abuse the Chernarus map a bit, see if it also happens on vanilla. Because right now, I have no idea what else it could be.

Edit: First mission, ran flawlessly, not a single stutter... until the satchel charge was supposed to go off and then the game crashed. Woo~hoo. Still, considering the helicopter lift that covers a nice chunk of terrain plus reaching the village then going off to find the mass grave, I think it's pretty obvious now that it's something within DayZ taking the piss.
    Hopefully, there's a new update out and one of the fixes is:
    * [FIXED] Very poor framerate on servers after some time (dead bodies causing it)
    So with any luck this might also help with my issue; will try some other time.
    Last edited by Rauten; 29-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.