Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Activated Node
    well, I'm officially fucked. Went on amazon during down time at work looking at the vita and somehow ended with a psp go and a 3ds from ebay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Thats... quite a slip
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Just wanted to chime in: fuck Gish.
    Yes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I played gish for about 5 minutes. But yeah, fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhlt25 View Post
    well, I'm officially fucked. Went on amazon during down time at work looking at the vita and somehow ended with a psp go and a 3ds from ebay.
    Dear lord how does this even happen? I shall pray for you.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I've been considering a DS lately, just so that I can get into some of Nintendo's portable stuff... but I'm also really sick of batteries dying, so I'm working on fixing up an old laptop that can run Windows XP to work on some gog.com RPGs that I've been looking at! ;P

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Dear lord how does this even happen? I shall pray for you.
    I don't really know. I was looking at the release date for persona 4 since I was a big fan of that game and realized I missed out on a ton of psp rpg then I looked at the vita memory price and it was too expensive so I wander off to the ds section and notice I missed a ton of rpgs there too, one thing lead to another and I ended up on ebay. At least it wasn't too expensive, got a basically new 3ds and psp go for 200.

Trying something different this time, but first have a great big HALFWAY POST featuring GRAPHS and CHARTS and HOPES and FEARS.

Anyway I tried a dual-review for 43: Bioshock 2

It's not very good.

Graphs and charts, Jim!? My goodness, look at that data and analysis. Brilliant. I have the weirdest boner right now.

OT: I have finally beaten Ocarina of Time for the first time ever. I guess that's something.
    Last edited by SMiD; 06-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Lovely stuff as always Jim - makes me feel less bad about not going back to Bioshock 2 now, as I largely agree with yours (and Hentzau's) assessment.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Trying something different this time, but first have a great big HALFWAY POST featuring GRAPHS and CHARTS and HOPES and FEARS.

Anyway I tried a dual-review for 43: Bioshock 2

It's not very good.

I thought you meant the review was not very good at first. It wasn't and not just because I disagree about the quality of the game (I liked B2, though not as much as B1... Liked each for different reasons). You complained about Bioshock 1 in the beginning and then never addressed how Bioshock 2 handled those same issues. For example the morality system is far more intricate and the choices are a little more involved. Perhaps they put those people in booths so you would actually listen to their stories when deciding what action to take.

Altogether this review was very shallow and focused on your ideas of what fun shooty bang is and yet it missed that compared to Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2 had refined combat allowing both plasmid and gun usage. My guess is you just never took the time to figure it out since, from the sound of your review, you went in with lots of preconcieved notions.

So your lack of comparison to Bioshock 1 despite opening with reference to it, a lack of review of plot, environment, graphics, climatic set moments, Big Sister encounters, the Father/daughter dynamic, the ending, or NPC character voicing shows that you were not really reviewing the game, but having fun in a b**** session with another like minded player.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 06-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Yeah that's fair enough, I never did warm to the game and I do need to learn how to become more objective in that situation. I did listen to the guys, I listened to everything I picked up, but it juxtaposed poorly with the actual world that you were wandering around in. It'd been, what, eight years since the fall of Rapture? How do these people survive? How does this place keep going? Why am I wandering around desperately eating cream cakes off the floor? Why am I this weak? It kept pushing this feeling that I was in this theme park rather than this world, that I was being massively constrained.

And sure, theme parks are more exciting than the real world, but it's not for me.

Thanks for the critique, I shall try to be more consistent. The secondary aim of this has been to improve my writing and obviously I'm a long way off that at the moment
    Last edited by Jiiiiim; 06-07-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Network Hub
    I really liked some of your other reviews, but they tended to be for the smaller games. I think it is a struggle for anyone reviewing to deal with massively complex games. Especially when you have to compare them to other complex games. You want to keep it short and say your impressions generally, but if you do that you may want to admit that you bounced off the game and try to think of things in it that other people might appreciate as you conclude.

Good to know it was so bad that it inspired you to sign up, anyway :P

I shall bear these things in mind.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think I just finished my first game of 2012!* - so you can't be doing as bad as me.

On the other hand, I've so far resisted buying any games this year... except I broke down and bought the last humble Bundle... but that was mainly for the Bastion Sountrack and I actually alreadly have most fo the games, so i don't think that counts.

*I can't rememebr if i did any in the xmas/new year holiday. It was Limbo and I finished it in one day. I made the mistake of starting Baldur's Gate near the beginning of the year, so I'm still on that...

44: AAAAAAAAA etc
    45: Sequence

Right now the holidays are here I should start to make some serious moves on this list. down to the final 30 now. COME ON.

Kudos to you for playing Sequence with a keyboard. Using a pad felt a lot easier to me.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Aquaria, done. I get the Zelda vibe, but I kept feeling like either the game was missing something or I was; never really gelled with it. Either way, it was an enjoyable time. On to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Kudos to you for playing Sequence with a keyboard. Using a pad felt a lot easier to me.
    Agreed. I tried with the keyboard to start with, but the pad felt much easier to me. Glad you enjoyed it though, I love the game as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Just Cause 2 is indeed amazing, I love it. You have inspired me to actually try and play each game I own enough to at least form an opinion on it if not actually finish it, it's quite fun trying to work out what to play next. So far this has resulted in finally finishing Limbo (in 3 hours) and being done with Alpha Protocol for a long, long time (after 4 hours). I've only been going for about five days, though. I've got an absolute shitload of games to play through...