Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar

A year in gaming - An effort to clear the 'backlog' of impulse buys

Ok gentlefolk and ladypersons. Here begins my main quest line for the year. To complete some of those games which I have enjoyed, and then dropped as soon as the new hotness comes along (gaming having given me the attention span of a hyperactive terrier). Well no more. Backlog-killing starts here.

The plan is to organise all the games I want to play at backloggery/Groovychainsaw. I will allow myself 5 slots for single-player games that I'm 'currently playing' (visible at the link). I will only allow myself to play those 5 games until one is 'completed' (In most cases, the 'final goal' is accomplished, not necessarily all side quests, otherwise Skyrim will be on there for the rest of my life). That's not to say I'll play through these games desperately in an attempt to get to the end as quickly as possible, I'll just be a bit more focussed on those 5, as they will be my only games until one is completed. I will play my blood bowl games as part of the leagues, likewise any other 'scheduled' multiplayer games will get in, too (they don't take up too much of my gaming time), but for single player, only those 5 will be played.

'So what are you taking up a whole thread for?', I hear you ask. Well, I'm planning to update my progress in here after each play session (so there may be spoilers, I haven't decided yet, but I'll give fair warning), and hopefully this will spur some discussion about the game/section/moments in question. Also, I'd like you guys to help guide my path through my games this year, so I'll be looking for advice about what to play next to add to my 'final five'.

And that starts now, 4 out of 5 slots are taken already. Given that they are filled with Skyrim, Saints Row the Third, Driver:SF and Dark Souls, I could do with something short and sweet to fill that last slot, so help me choose something to play from my backlog that fits. Discussion/arguing over what I should play next is positively encouraged, and if you have similar plans, post your backlog in here. Lets see if we can make a concerted effort to actually play some of those steam sale games and other 'impulse buys' we've not got around to.

Oh, and before anyone complains, yes, there are quite a number of console games alongside PC ones. I need a split between console and PC so I can play on one system if the other is occupied :-). I don't want anyone moaning that I'm playing on the xbox and its inferior, thats not what this thread is for, its more a celebration of games as a whole rather than 'which format is best' type arguments.
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 04-01-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    There's a similar thread here with regard to backlogs: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...mes-For-a-Year

Also I'd play SR3
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Yeah Kadayi, I posted in there too having read through it about the principles being good, but I felt I was hijacking your efforts to not buy any games as I'm still planning to buy any new games I fancy throughout this year, just not until I have a free slot. I admire your ' no purchasing' efforts though, and it was the attempts in there to catalog the backlog (and use backloggery to do so) that inspired me to write this :-).

/Edit - And SR3 is 'currently being played'.... any other thoughts?
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 04-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.

I'd say Gemini Rue. I've yet to play it myself but It's different enough from what you're already playing and probably short enough too.

I've taken the liberty to add you in my backloggery. Maybe having some people there will motivate me to finish some games.
    Last edited by Tikey; 04-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Well I can only comment on PC,. but I'd say albeit a tad clunky mechanistically Alpha Protocol is well worth finishing.

Albeit I enjoyed Arkham City there's way too many Riddler Trophies to collect (440 to get including a large number of physical combat challenges). In many ways I'd avoid it for a while as getting all of those is a massive time sink (I got up to 390 but kind of lost my motivation after that). Definitely worth playing at some point, but I wouldn't say it's crushingly urgent if your focus is on clearing games. I'd love to know that stats on the % of the player base who bothered getting them all. Hopefully Rocksteady with the next game will make it a bit more achievable in a realistic time frame.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I was going to make a thread similar to this a month or so ago, but I figured nobody would care. Hipster backlog.

Did you happen to play Demon's Souls? I can't bring myself to go back to it after the first boss because, right when I thought I had the game figured out, it got way harder.

I saw Dark Souls around a friends earlier in the year (I'm strictly a PC gamer) and I was both 'damn this looks hard' and also 'I'd like to see this come to PC'.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I saw Dark Souls around a friends earlier in the year (I'm strictly a PC gamer) and I was both 'damn this looks hard' and also 'I'd like to see this come to PC'.
    I really should use quotes more liberally... My question was directed at groovychainsaw, as he mentioned that he was playing Dark Souls and I wanted to know how it compared to the original and if he had any general tips on the game.

The thing I like most about the game is its atmosphere, especially with the online component. Someone write "Beware of the footsteps ahead..." and I'll immediately be on edge about the enemy I'm about to face. And, invariably, whatever that enemy is can and will kill you until you learn its patterns. It's one of the few games I feel require true mastery, rather than luck or simple muscle memory la Super Meat Boy to beat. Unfortunately, a lot of this mastery seems to come from trial-and-error and I feel like there's a lot about the game I'm missing without delving into online resources (something I hate doing.)
    Last edited by sabrage; 04-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.

tikey and groovychainsaw -> I too took the liberty of adding you to my backloggery... I've also decided to dedicate some time to complete some of all those games that I've bought during the end of last year.

Link to my backloggery, for those who are interested...

Network Hub
    Sabrage -- a lot about Demons Souls is trial and error and memorization though, just like Super Meat Boy. Once you learn the levels, akin to Super Meat Boy, it starts to get far easier.

Its hard at first because the game thrusts you into it, you don't know which level to choose first, there isn't a lot of in-game documentation... once you get used to the controls and combat, memorize the levels such as enemy placement and traps along with any shortcuts, it gets far, far easier. Not to mention once you start upgrading your character, getting some decent weapons and armor, things start getting easier then too.

Enemies that were once hard start to get easier as you learn how they move and after awhile, things will just start to *click*. Its hard to explain... I remember struggling at the beginning but around the halfway mark I just demolished the game all in one go.

Can't speak for Dark Souls, as I bought it at launch to support the developer (and I got it for half price to boot) but haven't had the time I wanted to sit there and dedicate a day to it to immerse myself in it. All I know is that the developers said they felt Demon's Souls was actually too easy (I remember seeing they said they were surprised at what people thought was difficult) and they wanted to make something they felt was challenging.

Both games are very old school in a way not a lot is, these days. They would make awesome PC games, but the developer is incredibly small and niche so I doubt they could really afford it. Not to mention Sony owns Demon's Souls and Sony doesn't do PC games.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 04-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls myself, I put about 30 hours into demon's souls (and its in the backlog for completion!!) before I think my tank-type build started to run into difficulties (also a lack of user skill, i suspect!). For Dark Souls, I started as a pyromancer, giving me a hugely useful fireball spell to blast through the early bosses before diverging into a magic/rapid attacker. Suffice to say, I'm making much greater progress through Dark Souls than Demon's, it feels easier to me, although I think my Demons Souls experience gave me a head-start.

Both games are very hard, but reward patience. It IS trial and error to a certain extent, but it doesn't rely so much on twitch reflexes as something like like super meat boy, its a lot slower than that. Treat every fight as a duel and run away when outmatched and you'll generally get on fine. Much patience is required. You'll often die when you first meet a new enemy as they'll do something unexpected. Walk around with a shield up all the time if in doubt, like me, or if you are cocky and do have those twitch skills, rely on parrying every attack (bold choice, sir!). All of this is true for Demons, too.

Dark Souls feels easier to me because of the open world with the bonfires giving you more frequent respite than Demons ever did. You will need to use online guides at least a small amount though, the lack of signposting is perhaps taken to extremes, with you able to walk into tough/impossible areas immediately with no indication where you are supposed to go right from the start. A couple of hints as to where to go and a couple of hints on the more inscrutable bosses (what IS their weakness?) has kept me in the game when I felt I'd wandered into the wrong area/was ill-equipped. There is also a lot more that I'm completely missing (and you basically have to look up online to figure out or spend hours doing in-game tests), but I don't mind missing the really in-depth stuff so much. I'm sure there have been opportunities for NPC allies to join me for boss battles that I've missed, for example.

Dark Souls was probably the best game I played last year, hence why I put it back on this list to complete. I'd like to do it for my own satisfaction and it had disappeared under the pile of xmas steam sale games, making it a priority for my new years list. I'll let you know how I'm doing when I report in on my first play session.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow, your backlog is quite manageable compared to mine. Good job! I'd slot in Gemini Rue, or Sonic Generations, both fairly brief games. Although, honestly, I encourage you to play fewer games at one time (like two or three) rather than more. But you know your habits far better than I :)

Good luck!

Yeah, I don't think everything is on there that I'd like in the backlog (that was just what I dredged up last night), I could see it getting up to 100 or so games, but I'm fairly good at completing most short-ish games so most of those released in the last couple of years have been completed. I've also avoided adding anything procedural or with no clear end-game for now, as they'll be difficult to fit in. I may have to set my own end-game for that sort of thing. i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.As for having 5 at once, I was planning for them to be different genres/speeds for different moods (anyone else do that?), but I think I've basically got 2 open-world RPGs, one GTA-a-like and an open world racer, so maybe not as much variety as I first though. But as I am actually playing those right now, and enjoying all 4, i figured it was a good place to start.

Gemini Rue does look interesting and might prove a good change of pace from the others on my list. Anyone know if its a particularly long game?
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 04-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Gemini Rue is not very long but I guess it depends on how much of an adventure game veteran you are (I, for one, survived many) and your willingness to use a walkthrough if you get stuck. Because of the low resolution it can be hard to find items at times but it doesn't happen too often. The puzzles are almost all logical and don't require moon logic.
    Overall I'd say about 5-6 hours.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

From the things in your backlog, I'm partial to Blur myself. It's got a lot of pick-up and play to it without having to deal with long, drawn out missions. Lots of unlockables, the weapons are fun, and the tracks are well laid out too. Good times.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Hey...

I'm in the same type of a boat as you are at this point. I have a huge backlog of games and my income just went poof! ;) So, with that in mind, I'm going back and spending my time going through the massive backlog of games that I have to play still.

My Backloggery is linked below but it isn't complete, my Steam profile is a more accurate picture of things that I still need to finish. I have so SO many titles that I need to work on this year. But I did decide that the only titles that I'm going to be buying this year are Torchlight 2 (assuming we ever get it) and Guild Wars 2 (assuming I decide that I have enough time for a MMO at that point). We'll see either way, I suppose.

I'm working on updating my Backloggery slowly as I am going through my Steam profile, but it's taking a long time. I think I'll do the whole five slots for single player stuff like you're doing and see how that goes. Thanks for the idea!

Activated Node
    I'm on backloggery as Pseudo. Thanks for reminding me about it. It was a big help the last time I decided to sift through my old games.

Backloggery is nice and all, but I couldn't deal with their interface, and navigating their site was a pain in the ass.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Good suggestions, chaps. I'm leaning towards gemini rue or sonic generations right now (I don't think I could be picking between 2 more different games!) as, while I enjoyed blur (I've been buying bizarre creation's racers since metropolis street racer, and even the weakest racing game they've made is better than a good number of others), I don't really want another racer on there until driver is done. Also, nice to see a few others following this idea, I'll agree with SMiD that its not the best laid out site in the world, but having linked a few people on there now, its nice to get progress updates on others (motivational!), so I'll stick with it for now.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Yeah, groovychainsaw! I'll totally take on the challenge with you. It would be nice to clear some other titles out of the backlog. I'm still working on getting them all onto the backloggery site, but still... enjoying playing through them, without a doubt. I just need to stop playing Guild Wars and start playing more of the single player games to get them finished. ;)

As a quick side note, I think I have Gemini Rue somewhere laying around myself... if you decided to play that one, I may jump on the bandwagon and give that a go. Might be a good time, for sure.