Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    I gave that a shot, but it wasn't liking me... kinda weird. Haven't played with Lua scripts much yet... need to do some more of that... seeing that scripting language showing up alot these days.
    same. i get an error when i try to execute the script. nfi why.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Well, thanks to Sabrage creating a gang of us to get through it, and an unusual free Sunday coming up, game no.5 will be... Gemini Rue. It's been a while since i ran through a point and click game but the setting/style looks good and supposedly the puzzles make sense (unusually, for this genre). I'll report back on how my sunday goes :-).

Update! A successful weekend. I kept away from sales ad bundles, and stuck to games from the list. With the addition of Gemini Rue, i spent a couple of hours pointing and clicking on things. My patience for the puzzles in point and click things wears thin these days, i think its the linearity of the solutions that bothers me, I'd like to be able to use my brain, rather than trying to second guess what the designer was going to ask for next. I'm not saying they are illogical, i think I just expect multiple, more realistic solutions using tools etc. I do like the atmosphere and retro style though (as an amiga fan of days gone by) so I think that will keep me going through to the end.

The other game I've spent time getting through on my backlog is Driver:SF. A few more hours got put into on Sunday. As an unashamed arcade racing fan, I've found this to be one of the best driving games I've played in a long while, the music is great (seriously - its leading me towards some album purchases - its a great mix of 70's soul/funk, blues and modern rock), the 60fps (on 360) is slick and the variety in missions and challenges is great. Its like burnout paradise without the long downtime getting to the start of races and without the need to read maps whilst racing (whilst I completed paradise, those 2 things in particular annoyed me).

The handling model, whilst loose and tending to make everything drive like a 70s muscle car regardless of pedigree/driving wheels/power, is accurate enough to have fun drifting through junctions. With enough practice, I'm up to fast-and-furious style drifting under lorries now, which is great fun when you pull it off (9/10 times I end up squashed by a lorry, but the game is fairly forgiving of such errors). The 'quantum leap' mechanic to let you possess any car becomes more fun as you go get used to it, you can be quite creative with it. Some of the missions really allow you to be creative and come up with your own solutions, winning races by jumping into the oncoming traffic and then plowing a bus into a race leader is quite satisfying, and unlike anything else, whilst still keeping it challenging.

Spoilers from Driver!
    Having reached chapter 5, it now turns out the bad guy can do the same 'jumping' trick, leading to a pretty great chase with him jumping into any car he likes to take me down. It made for a pretty entertaining run and I'm intrigued to see where it goes. How can I take down an opponent with the same abilities as myself??

Great success! I finally can put Osmos behind me. I'm also close to wrapping up Braid (need puzzle pieces in Worlds 5 & 6); and about halfway through Mass Effect 1. Oh, and I've made it to the final island in Crayon Physics Deluxe.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Wow, good work SMiD, sounds like you've had more gaming time than me. I'm hoping to get on again at the weekend, evenings have been a bit hard to come by of late.What have you got lined up to play next?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Well I finished AC2 a couple of nights ago. I bought it quite some time ago and played it most of the way through, but never quite got around to finishing it. I decided it was probably worth playing from the start again as my muscle memory with respect to the controls was shot. Pretty enjoyable overall (I recommend Italian with subtitles Vs English 'mama mia' accents) as Ezio is much more likeable Vs Altair. Started up ACB now which is more of the same, but with some new features and challenges. Albeit the plot of the series if daft as brushes I do like how they tie everything into historical events.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Getting on the backlog-clearing (and no new game for a year buying) bandwagon. I'll be posting about it around the place, but also blogging... Link in sig if anyone cares.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Personally, I've been ill for the last week or so, so I haven't had much in the way of energy for gaming, instead finally watching some tv that I had been behind in. That said, when I have had time for gaming, I've put some time into Starcraft laddering and Skyrim, which means that I haven't actually finished anything at this point, for sure.

I don't really know what I should be finishing, I feel like I'm stuck in the games that I've been playing lately (Blur) and I haven't added anything else to the list yet. Hopefully I'll get around to doing something about adding a game to the list and getting time to play it that's going to be actually finishable soon (ie not Skyrim or Starcraft).

Gz on finishing AC2, I really enjoyed that game. One of these days I'm going to get a hold of the next ones in the series, but I decided to wait until they came down in price, since it's not like I don't have anything to play in the meantime.

SMiD, I really enjoyed Osmos, it was a fun game, though I never went all the way through it... it was definitely relaxing with the worlds that I did indeed play through. Maybe I should go back and see about finishing that up, perhaps.

On the upside, tonight is the last thing I have to do this week and then I have another four day weekend (hopefully uninterupted by homework if I'm really productive today) which will be fun to see if I can't get any more gaming in. I need to decide on what game to finish next. It is going to be either Overlord (part way into), Last Remnant (haven't started) , or Arcania: Gothic 4 (haven't started either). Any ideas?!

(That's between Starcraft and shout/sprinting myself off cliffs accidentally in Skyrim)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Gz on finishing AC2, I really enjoyed that game. One of these days I'm going to get a hold of the next ones in the series, but I decided to wait until they came down in price, since it's not like I don't have anything to play in the meantime.
    Yeah it was good fun. I didn't find the difficulty curve spiked as much with Vs the first game (which has a couple of 'fuck this game' moments for sure) and the camera on the whole was a lot better. When I'd played it previously I hadn't quite gotten the run up wall, jump to the side figured, but I got my technique down fairly well this time. Albeit there's the occasional shout of 'WTF are you doing you? ' there's nowhere near as much as 'OMFG.No...!!!!.' as in your atypical Tomb Raider. Also although there are a few timed challenges, they build in a little leeway in terms of timing so you can fuck up a couple of times and not suffer for it which is something I appreciate. In Tomb Raider anniversary there's an absurd time challenge with about 40 different actions in it and unless you ace it you it's restart time...that sort of thing is just daft game design in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 12-01-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Well, so far, I've managed to play through two games this year (Shadowgrounds and Rochard) and I've only bought one game (Saint's Row The Third). I'm still committed to clearing out some of my backlog and I will try to avoid buying new games. In fact, with all the games I've got lying in my backlog, I don't really feel the need to buy more games right now. Saint's Row The Third being the exception though, since I loved the second game on 360 and I've been wanting to buy that since way before it was released.

I started using Backloggery about 6 months ago, and it has really improved my completion rate for games. I still buy a lot of games though, so my backlog isn't getting much smaller. I'm currently playing a bit of GRID while I wait for UPS to deliver my copy of Monster Hunter Tri for my new Wii.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    Well, so far, I've managed to play through two games this year (Shadowgrounds and Rochard)
    Isn't Shadowgrounds just fantastic? I played through it last year, so great. :D I have Survivor too but haven't jumped into it yet.

I'm also in the process of actually playing through games instead of buying them and then buying more and then some more and barely finishing anything. Just finished the GTA: EFLC games (TLAD kinda sucked!). Not sure what to play next, I'm torn between Stalker:SOC, Bastion and Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Wow, good work SMiD, sounds like you've had more gaming time than me. I'm hoping to get on again at the weekend, evenings have been a bit hard to come by of late.What have you got lined up to play next?
    I figure I'll plow right into ME 2 to finish up that storyline. After that (or perhaps in parallel) it's gonna be more RPG-ness from the list. I've got Planescape: Torment, both Icewind Dales, and Neverwinter Nights to get through.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    Isn't Shadowgrounds just fantastic? I played through it last year, so great. :D I have Survivor too but haven't jumped into it yet.
    It really is fantastic. I started and completed it last weekend. I wasn't expecting much, and it really caught me off guard. First I thought it would be a poorer version of the kinda crappy new Alien Breed series, but it was loads better than those.

I haven't touched Survivor yet, since I thought I'd save that for later.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Great success! I finally can put Osmos behind me.
    Whoa, hat off to you sir. Did you actually like Osmos that much or you just HTFU ?

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I did this last year. I didn't use backloggery, but I made a separate "now playing" category with 5 games and only allowed myself to play those. It worked awesomely. I completed tons of games, and I'm still doing it (today I finally finished Fallout 2! Huzzah! Now I can start Fallout 3!).

You just have to kind of get yourself into a mindset where you view playing a new game as being a reward for finishing a previous one. Otherwise, you end up jumping from game to game and never finish anything.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-01-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Well I finished AC2 a couple of nights ago. I bought it quite some time ago and played it most of the way through, but never quite got around to finishing it.
    I finished this last week. AC2 is one of the first games in ages I finished in like 4 or 5 days. It held my interest and didn't overstay it's welcome--which is nice (especially since I really hated AC1).

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Whoa, hat off to you sir. Did you actually like Osmos that much or you just HTFU ?
    I really tried with this game, but finally just uninstalled it. It's tediousness outweighed its enjoyment factor, so I just realized at some point that I didn't care and it was just wasting my time when I could be doing other things.

Kudos to you for finishing it, though.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I completed tons of games, and I'm still doing it (today I finally finished Fallout 2! Huzzah! Now I can start Fallout 3!).
    You're starting Fallout 3? See you in a month or two. :D

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I wasn't a fan of AC1, but AC2 was really good... except for the final 'boss' encounter (which I'm not spoiling, just suffice to say that I wasn't impressed). In my opinion, it was stupid easy... and I walked through the entire thing in like... 15 minutes or less. Very anti-climatic ending in that sense.

That said, looking forward to getting around to Brotherhood (which I still have yet to purchase).

I played Osmos for a while, enjoyed it while I did, but not enough to really sit down and finish every level. It's a fun game though, pretty nice for a relaxing something to do. I need to finish Shadowgrounds apparently, I'm not very far in it... but I didn't think so far that it had any real depth yet. Not sure what you guys are seeing in it, so I'm going to have to put a bit more time into this one, apparently. Maybe that will be my other game right now, since I'm only really playing Skyrim/Starcraft2/Blur.

And now, I'm going to go play Shadowgrounds, it seems! Maybe I'll add it to my list of beaten games by the end of the weekend. ;)