Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by allanschnorr View Post
    I'll only buy them after either playing a demo representative of the complete game or either watching at least a couple of let's play videos on youtube to at least have a good idea of what I'm getting.
    Good luck with that, I've found that if I only stick to demos or videos/reviews there'a fair chance to skip games that I end up loving instead. Save for a few lucky cases of love at first sight, plenty of times I played the demo, walked away unimpressed, then got the full game through some bundle and changed my mind. Maybe it's because some games need time to grow on you, or maybe it just takes me longer than the average bloke to figure out, that I don't know.

In other news, I finished Avadon (a game I would've never given a chance were it not for HIB) after ~62 hours. Yay! I liked the grand finale very much! - but I didn't manage to play the game the way I wanted, some enemies are truly so much more powerful than the rest that I couldn't get myself to pour more hours in it to figure out how to win (and I believe at least one was pretty much unbeatable given the choices that had been made). Pretty curious about Avadon 2 I must say - looking forward to it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    Iīve been playing a bit of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as my backlog keep shrinking. I dismissed it earlier because I had more interesting games to play, but after beating The Witcher 2, Shogun 2 and Gray Matter, and putting 60 hours into Skyrim, I thought I would take DX for a new spin.

It does have an interesting story, a good setting, nice dialogues, a superb soundtrack, and itīs fun to get so many different possible routes on the missions.

But Iīm not preparered to completely embrace it yet, because there doesnīt really seem to be a pretty linear experience, more so than I thought. If you can take different routes, the missions seem like they play out in pretty much the same order no matter how you complete them (have reached the second hub and played a few hours so far). And it seems like the only different playstyle choices you make, are if youīre playing stealthy or commando style.

So even if itīs a good game, it feels like a 20 hours experience that I will have no real reason to revisit once I beat it. And when it comes to action titles, I always prefer replayable games.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Due to scheduling and whatnot, I'm really only spending time playing Kingdoms of Amalur and Age of Empires Online right now. Of course, the latter of those I can't ever "finish" persay... so I'm playing Kingdoms as my single player game right now. It's a good game, and I'm really enjoying it so far, though I worry about ever finishing it just because it's so long. Ahh well... should be fun while it lasts, either way, right?!

And I wanted to add that I would agree with you about the linearity of Deus Ex. It's not really an open world game in any sense of the word. However, I was a huge fan of how it did with things, quite honestly. I really enjoyed that game. Enough to say that I would like to play through it again at some point soon, I think.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    And I wanted to add that I would agree with you about the linearity of Deus Ex. It's not really an open world game in any sense of the word. However, I was a huge fan of how it did with things, quite honestly. I really enjoyed that game. Enough to say that I would like to play through it again at some point soon, I think.
    Iīm not looking for an open world game in Deus Ex, but I want to feel that I would get something different out of replaying it, other than just going stealth or berserk in the missions, but I suspect that I wonīt since it seems that I will get all different augments in one playthrough.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Good luck with that, I've found that if I only stick to demos or videos/reviews there'a fair chance to skip games that I end up loving instead. Save for a few lucky cases of love at first sight, plenty of times I played the demo, walked away unimpressed, then got the full game through some bundle and changed my mind. Maybe it's because some games need time to grow on you, or maybe it just takes me longer than the average bloke to figure out, that I don't know.
    I agree there's a chance I miss on good games doing that. There are some genres I really like, like platformers, and for those genres I'm willing to take recommendations from forum users and friends with a similar taste to mine into account.

Computer exploded but on the plus side the new one can handle all the games on my list which the old one was incapable of. New Vegas looks amazing. Meanwhile, 28: Eufloria

42-ish to go I think.

I have killed my backlog. And not in the "I've finished everything" sense.
    I purchased the 1c complete catalogue, mainly for a few games, but it also means that I have a huuuuuge number of games I'm never ever going to play.

I'm weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I have killed my backlog. And not in the "I've finished everything" sense.
    I purchased the 1c complete catalogue, mainly for a few games, but it also means that I have a huuuuuge number of games I'm never ever going to play.

I'm weak.
    Tikey, WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!???? Let this be a lesson to us others about how easy it is to fall astray. Stay strong brothers and sisters! The real tests are still ahead with the lure of the seasonal Steam sales. This is merely the calm before the storm; let us steel ourselves now for the coming conflict.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Tikey, WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!???? Let this be a lesson to us others about how easy it is to fall astray. Stay strong brothers and sisters! The real tests are still ahead with the lure of the seasonal Steam sales. This is merely the calm before the storm; let us steel ourselves now for the coming conflict.
    I'm determined to stop buying bundles where I'm interested in only half of the games or less and cheap indie games I know little about.

Also If I'm strong enough I won't buy any games this summer sale. I really doubt I can achieve this, so I'll be happy enough with myself if I end up buying 5 games or less.

Quote Originally Posted by allanschnorr View Post
    I'm determined to stop buying bundles where I'm interested in only half of the games or less and cheap indie games I know little about.

Also If I'm strong enough I won't buy any games this summer sale. I really doubt I can achieve this, so I'll be happy enough with myself if I end up buying 5 games or less.
    Good luck fellow backlog-clearerer. The summer sale will be a real test. Let's see who can get through unscathed.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Lol... well, Tikey, I know what you're saying. In the last few days, I've picked up Guild Wars 2, Indie Royale, Indie Fort 1, and the Indie pack on Steam, so I know what you're going through. Also, I've recently started trading off someof the games in my Steam inventory that I don't want, so I've acquired Duke Nukem Forever, and something else that I can't remember. Very exciting the trading thing!

I'm pretty sure that I want Scary Girl, Legend of Grimrock, the Starcraft 2 expansion, and Torchlight 2 still. But, I'm still playing thorugh some of my other games (ie at the moment, I'm doing Kingdoms of Amalur, since a friend was amazing enough to gift it to me, and Age of Empires Online). I am also working on the co-op campaign of Shank 1 while my brother in law is here to play it with!

Ahh well, I'm still having a great time, right?! That's what counts? My unplayed list though is getting much much longer faster than I can clear it out. I love you, Tikey!

Devin what would you recommend for trading steam keys effectively ? also, risk-free and not too much micromanaging if possible.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Honestly, there's no risk-free way to do it... but most of these keys aren't worth that much anyway, so I just go with it. So far I've had pretty good luck, I have to say. That said, I will say that you can look at their Steam profile and many times they'll have people on there, posting that they've done successful key trades and the like with them before. For example, my profile has a couple of these types of things.

Just letting you know though, there is risk, and I dont' think that Steam is going to do anything if you do get ripped off. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If you're nervous about trading Steam keys, recruit someone trustworthy to act as a middleman for your transaction. If the other guy is unwilling to use a middleman, don't trade with him.

29: Cthulhu Saves the World

New Vegas is absolutely massive, isn't it? 30 hours in and I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface. So much to see, so much stuff that can pretty easily kill me. It's finally an open-world game I don't hate.

Activated Node
    So I beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution yesterday, and I canīt really figure out what I think of it. I think itīs a really good game design in terms of how most people wonīt notice itīs limitations, and I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much more.

I did like the story, the graphical design, the characters, the music, and you got the opportunity to be quite badass.

Thoughts:
    *The game does present choices for you, but what they are is really challenges. You got put in tough situations where you have either man up or take the easy way out. Itīs either being a hero or a failure/lazy.
    *The augmentations are good, but to few. You can more or less max out a character in one playthrough, making the choices there less interesting. This was probably my main dissapointment with the game.
    *Perhaps you should have been required to visit a LIMB clinic or Sarif HQ for some augmentations? It really doesnīt make sense that you can upgrade anything on the spot as long as you have enough praxis points.
    *The sidequests arenīt that many, just enough to keep you occupied for one playthrough. But they all make sense in the game and the story. Every quest is given by a person that you meet for a good reason.
    *The architects behind secret compounds, and the security officers in them, really must check their vents better.

In terms of pacing and content I do feel that this is something of a masterpiece that the designers can be very proud of. There is never more than you can handle going on, but always enough to keep you interested, and it hides itīs limitations pretty well. I just wished that there were more choices in quests and augmentations so you would feel a greater value in replaying it.

Remaining backlog:

Anticipated releases that I bought but havenīt finished
    Skyrim
    Fallout: New Vegas DLC packages

Games being saved for coop
    Renegade Ops DLC
    Trine 2

Games bought on sale
    Alpha Protocol
    Back to the Future: The Games (ep 3-5)

Classic games rebought
    Bully
    The Last Express

Games bought this year
    So far only the Steam release of Pixeljunk Eden, and since itīs not a game I want to rush through, I donīt counīt it to the backlog.
    Last edited by Yachmenev; 15-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Slow, steady progress continues, I'm maybe down to one of these a week at the moment but WE MUST PREVAIL AGAINST THE BACKLOG

30: And Yet It Moves

31: Fallout New Vegas

58 hours on Vegas in the end, loved it loved it loved it.

Activated Node
    Besides the effort to clear the backlog, I can't resist and I still buy new games, but something has changed: now I play the games I bought almost immediately. I bought Botanicula, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP and Lone Survivor in the last few weeks and already finished the first two. I'm playing Psychonauts now, Lone Survivor will be the next. I also finished Spacechem (only the main levels, I won't try the challenges for a few months at least), Auditorium and Beep.

I got Auditorium as a prize for backing Auditorium 2 on kickstarter and I loved the game. Those guys at Cipher Prime seem to be really good at creating puzzle games with addictive gameplay and nice visuals. I got Fractal in an Indie Royale bundle and liked it so much thanks to it simple gameplay and nice, clean visuals, that I tought they deserved more for that game than what I paid.

Beep is a nice platformer. It doesn't start really well, as it only becomes interesting after you finish the first worlds, but it is great fun in short amounts.
    Last edited by allanschnorr; 29-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Well... with my brother in law in town lately, I've been doing a lot of multiplayer and co-op. Much of it has been in things like Blur (which doesn't have a co-op campaign) and Age of Empires Online (which has no ending), but I did finish the co-op campaign in the first Shank. In fact, I remembered why I liked Shank in the first place and got myself Shank 2 as well, which I'm part of the way through now on my own. I hope to finish that up here in the next week or so, maybe... though he still hasn't left yet.

That said, I did play the Guild Wars 2 beta some this weekend... and the Diablo 3 one last weekend, and they were interesting. I was also working on reviewing Warlock: Masters of the Arcane for the website I work for... so I've played some of that.

All in all, I have to admit that I'm not getting very far with the whole clearing out my backlog thing, but I hope to put some more time in it soon. My brother in law won't be gaming much in the near future after he leaves here, so I'll lose that distraction from single player games. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to several that I have on the list that look like fun, including Space Marine, Shank 2, and whatever else comes my way!

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Finished The Witcher 2 and The Missing Link. But playing TW2 made me want to go back and play the first one again... I really need to finished King Arthur so I can move onto the sequel, which I bought on release and haven't even touched, but goddamn the game erects a massive wall of difficulty about 20 hours in, and it's just a pain in the ass to play it at this point.