Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Yup, myself the same, I got bored playing through AC1 (lovely idea, sorely lacking in variety), then they added in a lot more variety in the second and I enjoyed my time there (agree about the weak ending though). Still, I feel kinda sated on AC games now, I don't really feel the need to play another, as the reviews and comments I've seen suggest 'more of the same' form the sequel and I don't know if I'm enthusiastic enough about it to go through it again.

Shadowgrounds always looked like a basic shooter to me, and not interesting enough? Still, some people here seem to like it - what makes it more compelling than say, the original alien breed? It could easily get added to my backlog, too (if i ever get to finishing any of the games that I've got on there!)

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Gemini Rue is scratched off the list. Pretty short game though, so it doesn't make a huge dent overall.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Well done Swallower! I'm hoping to finish it off over the weekend, possibly along with driver:SF (I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end, although may want to 100% it...), I'll let you know if I end up with 2 more slots free so I can poll for suggestions from my backlog :-)

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I tried to give Gemini Rue a shot, and I just didn't like it... wasn't my thing, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the point and click genre. It's too bad... people have been saying that it's a pretty good game, but meh... not going to spend my time playing a game if I'm not enjoying it, I suppose.

I'm hoping to make a large dent in my Shadowgrounds playthrough this weekend, though I do have some Geometry homework which I should look at at some point. A chance to use my new whiteboard! ;)_

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    all right. Also a big back log... "fortunately" i am at the moment sitting on a 8 year old midrange computer so my choices are limited.

Currently going through Septerra Core. A bit tedious game but I am quite enjoying. Should be finished by Wednesday.

I want to go through my GOG backlog first
    So:
    Jack Orlando
    Kingpin
    and either blood 2 or outcast

Depending on how big outcast is I should be finished with those games before the end of February.

I actually enjoyed most of Osmos; the atmosphere was fantastic. My problem is solely with the pacing. When I started the game, I thought it was a relaxing little puzzler; the soothing music throughout certainly helped create this image. However, it's when you get to the last zones of each "arm" that you run into a wall of crippling frustration. Things go from introducing the concept to mastery of said concept rather quickly. But stick with it, and make serious use of slow-time, and you can come out on top.

As for Shadowgrounds: play it. Certainly one of the best of the genre, and it can easily be finished in a weekend. But... um... the sequel is sort of.... meh.

Now, suggestions as to what to finish next:
    - Planescape: Torment
    - Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    - Neverwinter Nights Diamond
    - Fallout
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Out of those, I'd recommend planescape or fallout, preferably with the high res mods (just to help smooth over any graphics hangups - do an RPS search - they've done front-page articles on them both at some point ;-)). You'll enjoy the plot of both, both have slightly dated combat now, although i have a soft spot for the turn-based stuff, particularly in fallout. Of the 4, fallout is also the shortest game, if thats any help?

The other 2 are much weaker plot wise, I never got on with the heavy combat-focus of the icewind dale games and neverwinter's base game has a pretty mediocre plot, it was more a test for their engine (and DM-type features), i feel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd say Fallout. The original is surprisingly short and tight, it's an excellently paced RPG.

ALSO:

You'll kill yourself trying to play through Neverwinter Nights Diamond. That's like a hundred hours of gameplay, most of it very boring. Throw the whole thing away or just play Hordes of the Underdark.

Icewind Dale 1 has a very interesting NPC mod (here) that adds a full party of bantering NPCs to the game. Changes it from a hack-and-slash with an anonymous crew to more of a "full" role-playing game. Which maybe you don't want from Icewind Dale.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    not going to spend my time playing a game if I'm not enjoying it, I suppose.
    Fair enough - I say the same thing about tackling my backlog. If a game came in a bundle then I'm not going to feel bad as long as I enjoy one of the games from said bundle.

That said though, I'm not much of a fan of Point and Click Adventures and I still enjoyed it. The sci-fi setting kept me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    - Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    - Fallout
    I would recommend Planescape, then Fallout, then the other 2 in whatever order. It's just that Planescape is such a unique game that if you play it after any of the others it might taint your expectations. But yeah, Widescreen mods are a must for both of them. The games look gorgeous still when you tweak them to run at modern resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Icewind Dale 1 has a very interesting NPC mod (here) that adds a full party of bantering NPCs to the game. Changes it from a hack-and-slash with an anonymous crew to more of a "full" role-playing game. Which maybe you don't want from Icewind Dale.
    Thanks for the link. I might actually have a go with that seeing as I haven't had much luck with my own party, and I assume that one is well-balanced for what the game throws at you. Definitely more interested in a "full" RPG compared to a hack-and-slash, so it sounds like the mod for me.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

I actually enjoyed most of Osmos; the atmosphere was fantastic. My problem is solely with the pacing. When I started the game, I thought it was a relaxing little puzzler; the soothing music throughout certainly helped create this image. However, it's when you get to the last zones of each "arm" that you run into a wall of crippling frustration. Things go from introducing the concept to mastery of said concept rather quickly. But stick with it, and make serious use of slow-time, and you can come out on top.
    My feelings exactly, the presentation really sets those expectations for you then out of the blue you get shot in the knees. More levels with a smoother difficulty curve would have probably gained the game far more fans than it has.

Problem is, there are so many games that I find challenging or even hard, and still entertain me/find fun to a degree, that I can't see myself going back to it. Guess it was not meant to be love.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    - Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    - Fallout
    Fallout first, then Icewind Dale 1 & 2, then Planescape: Torment, then Neverwinter Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    slightly dated combat
    What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Changes it from a hack-and-slash with an anonymous crew to more of a "full" role-playing game. Which maybe you don't want from Icewind Dale.
    Why does recruitable companions turn something into a "full" RPG? If anything it dumbs it down into a shitty BioWarian "RPG".

I have Planescape, Icewind Dale 1/2 and Baldur's Gate 1/2 to play through myself. I'm looking forward to getting there, but I really just haven't yet. I want to play them super bad though... wasn't gaming when they came out the first time. ;) I'm a late bloomer (didn't start gaming until I was 18 and moved away from my parents who were anti-games).

That said, definitely going to finish Shadowgrounds this weekend and then consider what my next move is going to be. I also have Arcanum which is a game that a friend of mine recommended heavily. ;)

Right, Fallout it is then. I've gotten it off of GoG, so I believe it's patched up as well as can be. Anything quirky about this version I should be aware of?
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Great collection of mods and fixes here:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/fallout_...out_mods/page1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Right, Fallout it is then. I've gotten it off of GoG, so I believe it's patched up as well as can be. Anything quirky about this version I should be aware of?
    I don't have the GOG version, but make sure you get the children patch if children are missing. Also, you may want to get one of the newer unofficial patches to fix the remaining bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    What does this mean?
    I didn't really mean dated (i guess i was thinking of the graphics!), I should have said 'basic'. It's not that sophisticated in its approach. I know there are other turn-based games from that era and before that are sophisticated, it wasn't intended as a slight on those, Wizardry, I know what you're like ;-).

I, personally, enjoy the simplicity its low-fi combat provides, it fits the aesthetic of 'basic weapons in post-nuclear US'. I seem to remember it improved in the sequel (at least gave you more options in a fight). It has been a long while since I've played either, mind.
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 13-01-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    You're starting Fallout 3? See you in a month or two. :D
    Well, I played it a couple years ago and never finished it because I got so sidetracked with sidequests and searching for bobble heads and other dumb stuff. So this time I've resolved to just do the main quest.

I've been playing through the entire Fallout franchise beginning with the first, which has been fun as apart from "Fallout 3" I'd never played any Fallout games before. It's also made the world of "Fallout 3" alot clearer than the first time I played it (i.e. I am now more familiar with the factions and the significance of certain in game items). Although, compared to the brilliance that was Fallout 2, Fallout 3 is a bit humorless and lackluster--especially when it comes to writing (which in traditional Bethesda fashion, is awful).

I really loved Fallout 2, though, and would recommend it if anyone hasn't played it yet. It's probably in my top 5 favorite RPGs ever--and it isn't often you play a game that you can say that about.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Problem is, there are so many games that I find challenging or even hard, and still entertain me/find fun to a degree, that I can't see myself going back to it. Guess it was not meant to be love.
    I'm with you on this one. I was kind of enjoying myself and then ran headfirst into a wall. It's a bitch of a puzzle game with imprecise controls and it was just too frustrating to bother anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Shadowgrounds always looked like a basic shooter to me, and not interesting enough? Still, some people here seem to like it - what makes it more compelling than say, the original alien breed? It could easily get added to my backlog, too (if i ever get to finishing any of the games that I've got on there!)
    Well, Shadowgrounds is a pretty basic shooter. I would say that it does the shooting parts very well, and the atmosphere was really nice and alienesque. For me, it was more that I was very pleasantly surprised about the game since I wasn't expecting a lot from it.
    I have never played the original Alien Breed (maybe should pick it up sometime later from GOG now that it's on there?) but I've played the second of the newer Alien Breeds which I got for free during the summer holiday event on steam last year.
    That game was very boring and predictable. Aliens kept popping up from everywhere at a rate that you were never really shocked to see them arrive anymore, and the objectives felt overly tedious.

Let me make an example of a string of objectives from that game.

Objective A: Use the elevator to get to a lower level. But wait! The elevator isn't powered when you reach it!
    ->Objective B: Activate the power to the elevator with a computer console. But wait! That computer console isn't powered when you reach it!
    ->Objective C: Turn on the generator that is across the map. Then you can return to objective B and later to objective A, but some other objective will probably show up and get in your way on your way to the generator.

See what I mean? It all felt so overly complex and tedious. After a few objectives, you pretty much knew that nothing was going to work for the first time you tried it, and you needed to backtrack several times to make any progress. That's freaking boring game design.

Shadowgrounds felt more natural, and for a lack of a better word, simpler. You got a few objectives, and more objectives were added during the missions, but you never felt that it was all padding the mission.

----------------

OK, an update on my backlog situation:
    Since I am away from home this weekend, and only have my old laptop with me, my backlog will have to rest a few days. I have however, spent my free time with building a new fortress in Dwarf Fortress.... :D Fun times!

Darnit... not Dwarf Fortress! Man, I was already being tempted by that game... keep trying to resist so that I have time to do other things... RESIST IT!!!!

That said, I've been in a good DF mood lately... and it's been a while since I started up a fortress. Meh, now you're going to get me back into that game... so sad... If only it wasn't so good!