Thread: Archeage

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar

Archeage

I just remembered this morning that I got a Beta invite (current Beta runs til Monday) so I played for a half hour or so before leaving for work.

First impressions are good. Really like the character editor, though either I missed it or you can only edit your facial details and not your body shape (I like to give my characters an authentic beer gut). Obviously too soon to get a real impression of it.

At one point I had to kill looters and I saw something like "Progress: 0/100" and thought oh God no, there's your stereotypical Korean grind mechanic, but the first looter I killed jumped it up to 20/100. I just wonder if that was a nod to Western tastes and the original quest really was to kill 100 looters - which would be beyond tedious.

Oh, you get a hang glider by level 5.

Also, no NDA. Not like ESO. There's confidence.

EDIT: just read how the payment model is going to work and I take back my enthusiasm. Looks like it's either P2P or GRIND "labor points" in order to do anything meaningful. Ah well.
    Last edited by frightlever; 31-07-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tried the last beta - basically I had the same issues with it that I had with Wildstar.

It's gabbling away about a backstory and plot which I couldn't give a shit about - it's asking me to "go visit a rock" and "find 20 wootsits" and I'm losing the will to live. The world is cookie-cutter - the NPCs are cookie-cutter etc.

It looked nice enough - it's UI was ugly tho - it's CryEngine based I think? - it's controls were a bit wonky and some stuff still hadn't been translated.

Then they try to sell you expensive early access packages and you're thinking "you must be kidding me"...

p.s. to be clearer, the cheapest way into this Beta is 45 Euros - which includes just 18 Euros-worth of in-game currency - are they smoking bad weed or what?
    Last edited by trjp; 31-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.

The crafting was the main thing I found interesting before I played. As soon as I realized you need to grind labor points, and pay money to even build a house, I lost all interest. I realize they have to make money somehow, but restricting one of the main draws is not the way to go.

This was supposed to launch today, but seems there might be some problems.
    I keep getting "You don't have the right entitlements to play this game (error #2028)" message

Was supposed to launch 10:00 GMT
    But I read Trion have had DDOS attacks on them and early start packs have had little access to the game

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got into a couple of other Beta events - there's some character in there and they have smoothed-out some of the grind but you'll have to buy into a lot of work to make stuff and in an F2P game you know that's going to be a bit grim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greygamer View Post
    This was supposed to launch today, but seems there might be some problems.
    I keep getting "You don't have the right entitlements to play this game (error #2028)" message

Was supposed to launch 10:00 GMT
    But I read Trion have had DDOS attacks on them and early start packs have had little access to the game
    What is it with DDOS attacks on MMOs lately... First GW2 and Wildstar, now Archeage.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    What is it with DDOS attacks on MMOs lately... First GW2 and Wildstar, now Archeage.

and EVE =(

we poor capsuleers get DDOSed regularly

First impressions, servers are oversubscribed, queue was over 2k I did get in after about an hour.
    The point of the game seems to be crafting/farming but there isn't enough land for the number of people on the servers.
    They made a property speculation MMO?

Maybe I will look again in a month or so, otherwise I don't really see the point of paying anything towards this game. A shame as it does seem to have something new to say about the fantasy MMO experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Couple weeks ago all online gaming services were being hit hard. It happens time to time.

Network Hub
    First impressions, servers are oversubscribed, queue was over 2k I did get in after about an hour.
    The point of the game seems to be crafting/farming but there isn't enough land for the number of people on the servers.
    They made a property speculation MMO?

Maybe I will look again in a month or so, otherwise I don't really see the point of paying anything towards this game. A shame as it does seem to have something new to say about the fantasy MMO experience.
    It's easy to get caught up thinking that's the case and yes I have a house (not built) and a farm (semi used) in the game; however some of the more fun things I've done in the game so far (this includes beta experiences as the servers haven't really grown enough yet in live + I haven't leveled up enough for some of this yet):

-I've done some dungeons and they have a neat system in this, the first dungeon is very small and only needs 3 people, its a fun little place and they encourage higher lvl people to take lower level people through it to learn the ropes by giving them a really nice daily reward for a run with a sub level 30 (the dungeons around lvl 20ish). I've both Mentored and been a Mentee in this system, its cool because you can see the things being passed down; I was taught a trick for one of the pulls in the instance and I taught it to the people I mentored, I heard one on comms the other night explaining it to the person he just mentoring through it.

-I've stolen another players boat and gone for a sail around the ocean (2 people tried to gank me in my poor little row boat, they underestimated me, I killed them and robbed the boat), this was pretty cool until I decided to go quest somewhere and they desummoned it pretty sharpish (I happened to moor right next to them lol oops).

-I've dived for sunken treasure with guildies, he navigated and I sailed his boat out into waters untold, we then donned our breathing equipment and a diving helmet and went searching the ocean floor, t'was cool and eairy, we found an underwater world boss (not the kraken, some dude that looked like death sitting on top of a ship wreck... we didn't attemp that) and some treasure which you float to the surface in little leather floatation pouches.

-The guild I was in attacked the other continent, it went badly; well it went ok then it went very bad... we were a bit low level and basically were zerging people down (death by a thousand cuts stuff, I think I was hitting for 1-2 dmg at the time). Hilarious but not productive.

-Trade runs / Trade run pirating.

-Searching for secret gardens (I found over 150 trees the other day in an area up a mountain, I got lost inside them, knowing that was player created was awesome; I then got the logging axe out and went to work :D).

-Obviously questing and leveling, but also finding secret little quest hubs off the main stretch is quite fun.

-Oh I "composed" music, the game lets you compose in MML (Macro Music Language), so I followed some guides and made Fur Elise, the FF7 Victory Music and Mission Impossible, everytime the guild would go somewhere together I'd sit in the middle of the boat playing the music for the trip (badly, my player was making mistakes as I wasn't practised as a musician lol).

There's definitely alot other than just gardening in the game. That said this game isn't for everyone.

Oh yeh and Queue's are ridiculous currently, they say their working to fix it and they have added new servers etc... but in general Trion have handled this launch appallingly.

@DenieD
    I don't doubt you are right, this game does look like a breath of fresh air on the fantasy mmo scene.
    This evening there are queues of 3k+ for the servers, so it is difficult to find out what it is like
    I am hopeful it will get better before too long, however having a game where the crafting is supposed to be front and center, why make it so difficult to access? I have seen at least one post (by a founder who got 6 farms just to sell some later - hence property speculation mmo)

It seems at the peak times last night people queued for 5+ hours to get on for a couple of hours :/
    I want to enjoy it, even the wife is tempted (she loves the dungeon type stuff, provided it isn't a speed run)
    But my advice atm would be to be patient for a month or so and hope you can eventually get to tryout the crafting side of things.

Network Hub
    @DenieD
    I don't doubt you are right, this game does look like a breath of fresh air on the fantasy mmo scene.
    This evening there are queues of 3k+ for the servers, so it is difficult to find out what it is like
    I am hopeful it will get better before too long, however having a game where the crafting is supposed to be front and center, why make it so difficult to access? I have seen at least one post (by a founder who got 6 farms just to sell some later - hence property speculation mmo)

It seems at the peak times last night people queued for 5+ hours to get on for a couple of hours :/
    I want to enjoy it, even the wife is tempted (she loves the dungeon type stuff, provided it isn't a speed run)
    But my advice atm would be to be patient for a month or so and hope you can eventually get to tryout the crafting side of things.
    I'd agree with all your points on queueing, I got in last night after a 5hour queue (I left it doing it while I played other games and had food / watched tv with the fiance), there was a guildie thats free to play... 12 hour queue, yeh I think hes mad for attempting it too.

I'd also agree with the "try again in a month" advice at the moment for free to play people.

Just a slight difference in opinion here though:

Farms are not necessary to do crafting, especially any of the metal work stuff as that comes 99% from mining ore nodes around the world, even none metal work crafting is fully doable without a farm though, I grew 15 trees the other day on a mountain top, I used that lumber to make into logs... that will be part of my house. Yes a farm helps, yes without a farm animal husbandry stuff will be extremely difficult however it is possible.

The land grab people have done is a little "sly" but also a lot "stupid", in 2 weeks when their taxes are due they lose that land unless they can refresh the taxes, refreshing taxes on anything over 3-4 pieces of land will be very difficult imo. It is their right to try it though, its part of what the games about. I wouldnt buy one, everyone I've talked to reckons 2 weeks and land will all open up.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Just a slight difference in opinion here though:

Farms are not necessary to do crafting, especially any of the metal work stuff as that comes 99% from mining ore nodes around the world, even none metal work crafting is fully doable without a farm though, I grew 15 trees the other day on a mountain top, I used that lumber to make into logs... that will be part of my house. Yes a farm helps, yes without a farm animal husbandry stuff will be extremely difficult however it is possible.

The land grab people have done is a little "sly" but also a lot "stupid", in 2 weeks when their taxes are due they lose that land unless they can refresh the taxes, refreshing taxes on anything over 3-4 pieces of land will be very difficult imo. It is their right to try it though, its part of what the games about. I wouldnt buy one, everyone I've talked to reckons 2 weeks and land will all open up.
    That is good to hear, not sure how to unlock those crafting skills though as I am only level 13 and flying blind as it were. Something to do with a snowflake?
    In a month I might try a patron account but for now there are too many problems.

This weekend will draw a lot of criticism for Trion I imagine with even longer queues and abuses of afk I expect
    Last edited by Greygamer; 19-09-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    On the subject of labour (I've been playing it f2p and have had a lot of fun) - there are potions which grant 1000 labour, and the going rate is 6g. I've been able to make more than that from the labour provided by crafting gear and selling it on the AH (which there's no getting around, you have to pay 50p for access to - but that's all the money I've been willing to put into it so far). There's a lot of fun to be had in the game without the features that are restricted to subscribers, so long as you've got a guild with a suitable number of subscribers to get stuff done. I'm a big fan of the ocean play, for the same reason I enjoy mining in EVE. It's really relaxing, I could sit on Archeage all day just shuttling people between continents to earn my money, and have a better night's sleep for it.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

My conclusion (right or wrong) is this game is not for me.
    From what I have read on the official forums is they expanded the population allowed per server which made land even more difficult to get and while there are other elements to the game play if you are not going to put a lot of time (and money?) into the game then you will not experience all it has to offer.
    A missed opportunity I think, if it had been buy to play with a small instanced farming area it would have worked a lot better. Instead f2p players are encouraged to stay logged in while afk which makes things much worse overall.

Other games to enjoy, and still waiting for an MMO that will successfully take it to the next level