Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

A game like Civilization?

I'm looking for a game that plays like Civilization. Are there any? I know there FIVE of them by the same name, but I'm looking for something a little bit different, different rules maybe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane is similar to Civ5 but in a medieval fiction setting with spells and elemental planes and all that stuff. Might be worth a look.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I wouldn't call Warlock a Civ style game. It actually has a lot more in common with stuff like Disciples.

My go-to 4x game is, and probably always will be, Galactic Civilizations 2 by Stardock. Sci-fi, follows the Masters of Orion style of gameplay, REALLY good AI

If you want fantasy, Stardock's Elemental (I think Fallen Princess is the latest? I dunno, do some research :p) is flawed, but fun.

If you prefer something more real-time, there have been a few contenders over the past years. Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS with 4x-style features.

Endless Space, Star Ruler, and the one with the samurai bears (someone can fill that in as I forgot what it is called) all have interesting takes on the genre and implement some REALLY nice automation features to help you manage your ginormous empires.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Have you played Alpha Centauri? It's set after Civ's space victory and puts a lot more emphasis on atmosphere, in addition to adding things like unit customization and terraforming.

Network Hub
    Are there any civ-style games that actually have decent diplomacy?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    Civilization 4

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Alpha Proto...

Sorry, force of habit.

Alpha Centuri. Sid Meier game after Civ2 apparently next to cleanliness.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Fallen enchantress

Civ like outer game
    Homm like battles

Network Hub
    Fallen Enchantress? Isn't that the game by stardock that has been mentioned here on RPS many times (apparently it's been completely remade at some point?) and every time it was deemed still broken and not worth it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    Multiplayer ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fallen Enchantress is pretty solid now. The first mini expansion fixed a lot of the problems and the later release makes it a pretty solid game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fallen Enchantress is really rather good at this point. It's still a rather odd game. I suppose the problem you have looking for modern Civ-like games is that every such game really has to go off on its own branch because trying a straight fight with Civ will be beyond the resources and capabilities of pretty much everyone who might consider it. Space strategy games may be a more fertile ground, there seems to be a lot of those around, but I've never really got into them as much as land-based 4X games so don't have any recommendations. Then there's Warlock which is much more military in focus that Civ but certainly after playing Civ 5 you'd feel very much at home playing Warlock I think.

For old games you have Alpha Centauri and Master of Magic which are both good, and Call to Power which has its fans and its haters.
    Last edited by NathanH; 21-09-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    the one with the samurai bears (someone can fill that in as I forgot what it is called)
    That would be StarDrive.

A word of caution on Warlock: it's set in the same universe as the Majesty games and shares some traits with them. Basically the game will keep you under pressure by throwing neutral monsters at you pretty much constantly (on top of whatever wars you're fighting against your fellow warlocks). I found it very draining at times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Galactic Civilisations 2 is pretty much the best to date. Though it's set in space rather than earth, it matches the Civ games in just about every way, and surpasses them in several. The AI is particularly good, and diplomacy is excellent - in my first game I was able to manipulate the whole galaxy into a union by bribing, flattering, and initiating proxy wars. Choosing (or creating) another race would have demanded that I go about things very differently.

And it's a good excuse to post the article that convinced me to buy it (here), because it's brilliant.

Master of Magic is also excellent, basically fantasy-based civ where you research spells instead of technology (tech is based mostly on a building tree for each city), with tactical turn based battles and some absurd imbalancing, which works in its favour when you get used to it. Death magic, for example, knocks Life magic into a cocked hat for most of the game, but if you manage to research the top-tier Life spells, all your cities will become happy, healthy paradises that pump out advanced troops like they're so much water. Just what you'll need to fight off the horde of undead units that used to be yours untilt hose bastard shadow demons took them.

It's also really hard.

Call to Power is fucking terrible.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 21-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Although quite a bit different, the Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, and Victoria) are still quite excellent grand strategy games, although the setup is quite different (Civ games give you a "Blank slate" world map - Paradox games give you the world at a time of your choosing)

Distant Worlds is excellent and I also recommend Eador (although it is at least as much RPG as Civ-like game), Dominions 4 is another one you should look at especially if you like playing Civ-likes in multiplayer.

Fallen Enchantress is a game I feel like I should like but it just hasn't clicked with me yet for some reason.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Fallen Enchantress has never really clicked with me, but it's not bad. It puts a far greater emphasis on customization than Civ, and its victory conditions are more divergent. The AI is more interested in playing the game than in winning the game, if you understand me, so at lower difficulties it can feel extraordinarily passive. If you like the idea of a strategy game in which you aren't being pressured incessantly to win by cutthroat AI and which gives you a lot of flexibility in how you approach it--at the cost of a strong sense of forward momentum--then it might be worth it. It also has decent diplomacy options, though again, the passivity of the AI can make that debatable. I can't recommend paying full price for it, however, as it really is weird.

Warlock is all-combat, all-the-time, and the AI isn't great, but it is fun to play. If you like Civ V-style combat, it might be worth a look.

If you want to broaden your scope a bit, Endless Space is good, though you could save some money and pick up Master of Orion 2 on GOG (it is still the champion of sci-fi 4X games).

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    How about Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (it's Colonization remade in Civ4's engine), then? You'll feel right at home regarding interface etc. and yet the underlying rules and mechanics are (almost) entirely different.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm another one who has failed to enjoy Elemental. Even with Legendary Heroes, the game doesn't quite work.

I can +1 Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization though. Great game that.

Also, if you want a game like Civ, then why not try out some mods? Assuming you're happy to go back to the Civ IV engine, Fall from Heaven 2 adds a ton of content and some fun mechanics. I always find that it has a really different feel, compared to the vanilla game. The world is a lot more hostile and the pacing is different. can't quite think up the right words to sum it up. Basically, it just "works" in exactly the same way that Elemental:FE-LH doesn't.

A lesser known mod is Legends of the Revolution. This is meant to be in the style of an unoffical expansion. So it's pretty polished. The main thing it adds is a revolution/civil war mechanic. Does a good job too. Makes the game a lot more dynamic as you'll have civs rising and falling a lot more. A good thing about this is that you don't need to worry too much if you're half way through the game and not the largest empire, as the that large empire might collapse in on itself giving you a window to gain some glory.

Some of ya'll need to stop trying to feed guitarxe a shit sandwich.

- Gal Civ 2? No fucking personality at all. Good AI, but horribly boring.
    - Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes? Now finally playable, it's still dishwater dull with bad AI.
    - Endless Space? Lifeless. Soulless.
    - SMAC and MoM? Great games, but very outdated.
    - Sins? Nothing like Civ.

So let's move away from the shit sandwiches to some good suggestions.

- The newer Colonization? Good with mods. Only good with mods. The closest to Civ of the bunch. Some folks like The Authentic Colonization mod, but I prefer the Age of Discovery mod.
    - Distant Worlds? Now we're talking. Probably the best, deepest and most interesting 4x game next to Civ. The price point is very steep, but worth it. Easily the best suggestion of the bunch if the OP has the dough.
    - Warlock? Has personality, but the mechanics are fucked up - things like starting positions, etc. are piss-poor. Armegeddon adds some more flavor, but again with lousy or unfair mechanics. Still, not bad for $20. Or $5, if you catch it on sale. The best bargain suggestion.
    - Some of the Paradox games are decent suggestions, but the OP is going to face a steep learning curve. EU 3 or CK 2 might not be bad options. Both should be very affordable on sale.
    - Eador can be had for cheap and while it's not a true city-builder, it's a strong strategy game.
    - The best Civ game is still Civ 4. Hell, get the Fall from Heaven II mod and you're playing something like Civ, but a very different game than Civ 4.