Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Intel Folds to GamerGate

I read over at Ars that Intel has pulled its ads from Gamasutra in reaction to complaints received about Leigh Alexander's 'Gamers are Over' piece.

So does this mean that Team SJW now has to switch to AMD processors? Where does Nvidia stand on all this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Ok. Stop right there.

SJW is not an actual thing that exists. It's not a descriptive term that actually describes a class of people.

Also, real actual people don't make purchasing decisions based on shit like this.

Stop fomenting fake hate.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 02-10-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quite, also who's on who's side now? And what is this about again? Because someone wrote something someone else disagreed with?

Can I vote for pancakes?

EDIT: Looks a bit weak on Intel's side to be pulling back when screamed at by brats, I dont think this will make them look very good in the industry which is rather important to them.
    Last edited by pepper; 02-10-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm a SJW, it's just I'm a sleeper cell waiting for the revolution as soon as I hear my trigger words and get handed a 7 of diamonds.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Ok. Stop right there.

SJW is not an actual thing that exists. It's not a descriptive term that actually describes a class of people.

Stop fomenting fake hate.
    Well, ideally each team should choose its own name, like pro-Life and pro-Choice, but 'SJW' seems to be where it's at. Probably SJWs should've put more effort into choosing and promoting a name of their choice if they didn't want to be known as SJWs. Obamacare!

Incidentally, do we have a name for the other team yet? Team MRAs? Team Dudebros? With major corporations now choosing sides, we do need to bring some structure to the whole affair.
    Last edited by Lethe; 02-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lets call them Red VS Blue, hand them T-shirts and a bunch of paintballs and let em all have a go at it.

Meanwhile I shall sneak off, make the senate run to Greece and then crown myself emperor!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

What? There aren't 'teams.'Some people write cultural and art criticism others disagree with. Utterly insane.

Network Hub
    What? There aren't 'teams.'Some people write cultural and art criticism others disagree with. Utterly insane.
    Of course there are teams. Sure, you can try and chart a middle course, but the more acrimonious the situation becomes, the more that just translates to pissing off everybody. When it comes time to pick up a gun, you will choose a side.

Also, real actual people don't make purchasing decisions based on shit like this.
    Why not? Does the lure of material trinkets outweigh your moral sensibilities?
    Last edited by Lethe; 02-10-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'm a SJW, it's just I'm a sleeper cell waiting for the revolution as soon as I hear my trigger words and get handed a 7 of diamonds.
    And then I said "Why don't you go jump in a lake?"
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Quite, also who's on who's side now? And what is this about again? Because someone wrote something someone else disagreed with?

Can I vote for pancakes?

EDIT: Looks a bit weak on Intel's side to be pulling back when screamed at by brats, I dont think this will make them look very good in the industry which is rather important to them.
    It's all those feminazi SJW's who just yell at things and make companies 'self-censor' themselves.

Oh wait, I mean the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    When it comes time to pick up a gun, you will choose a side.
    At the risk of repeating myself, you are utterly insane.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    EDIT: Looks a bit weak on Intel's side to be pulling back when screamed at by brats,

Screamed at by brats? It seems that we will never be able to have anything even approaching a mature discussion on the issues surrounding this are we.

They are a thing... they are on the extreme, yes, but they do exist. They're the ones who are constantly looking to start fights over (non)issues, hence the "warrior" appellation. Like that saying about if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail... If you're an SJW everything is an act of war and aggression and shall be met as such.

They are the extremists though, and bringing them up is a good way to stifle debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    I read over at Ars that Intel has pulled its ads from Gamasutra in reaction to complaints received about Leigh Alexander's 'Gamers are Over' piece.

So does this mean that Team SJW now has to switch to AMD processors? Where does Nvidia stand on all this?
    I prefer the term "shamergaters" ;)

Just for the sake of the argument, and to balance things out, here is another article about it:
    http://adland.tv/adnews/intel-has-ga...utra/251869514

If you're an SJW everything is an act of war and aggression and shall be met as such.

They are the extremists though, and bringing them up is a good way to stifle debate.
    Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51McaZrra7w

That guy goes on to destroy a GTA V disc in order to show his burning hate for this game. He flat out tells journalists to be biased, to have an agenda, to not be impartial and to be swayed by merchandise. He then calls gamers "dishonest sacks of hot garbage who should be broken on racks".

So yeah, I understand intel for not wanting to be associated with people calling their target group "obtuse shitslingers" and "lonely basement kids".
    Last edited by strange headache; 02-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Network Hub
    At the risk of repeating myself, you are utterly insane.
    The 'teams' are so obvious and clearly delineated that I'd put good money that you can extrapolate with 70% accuracy or better someone's basic position on Israel/Palestine from their position on GamerGate.

(Yes, I'm partly taking the piss in this thread by playing up an already absurd situation even further, but I'm also making serious comments along the way re: tribalism, ethics, etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Wow. I guess it goes to show what organized internet harassment can accomplish, but it'd fairly pathetic on Intel's part.

On a related note, I still think it's darkly hilarious that the term "social justice warrior" is supposed to be insulting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Wow. I guess it goes to show what organized internet harassment can accomplish, but it'd fairly pathetic on Intel's part.
    Remember, these guys are the true gamers and are really dismantling the image they have of being angry, basement dwelling babies with their campaigns of really reaching out to the other side via the diplomacy of hounding them out of their jobs and homes.

Quote Originally Posted by strange headache View Post
    Just for the sake of the argument, and to balance things out, here is another article about it:
    http://adland.tv/adnews/intel-has-ga...utra/251869514
    Balance? With sentences like "Those people really need to get laid more often."
    And the amazing out of touch with reality:"While those who played games soon discover that there's no community in the world more accepting of everyone and anyone who plays games than players of games"

Not to mention the whole proselytism tone it doesn't seem that's anything close to bring balance to an argument.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Balance? With sentences like "Those people really need to get laid more often."
    And the amazing out of touch with reality:"While those who played games soon discover that there's no community in the world more accepting of everyone and anyone who plays games than players of games"

Not to mention the whole proselytism tone it doesn't seem that's anything close to bring balance to an argument.
    It's equally slanted than the art technica article, just the opposite direction, so I'd consider it balanced :)
    CÉTERVM CENSEÓ KOTAKVM ESSE DÉLÉNDAM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    People complaining about the content to the advertiser that the content of the site carrying their advert was inappropriate is now harassment? Whaaaa?

Petty perhaps but harassment?

The longer this goes on the more polarised both camps become and the standard of discussion drops even lower than it already was.

Please, think before you type.
    Last edited by palindrome; 02-10-2014 at 09:44 PM.