Threaded View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Ensemble Backlog: Gemini Rue

Since a lot of people here seem to have accrued the same kind of backlog that I have, I thought it'd be interesting to start a concurrent gaming club to play through our games together. The conceit of this thread is to designate a game for everybody involved to play together over a designated period and discuss it here. Things like flaws, plot and tactics are all fair game, though obviously any spoilers should be marked clearly, at the start of the post. The secondary goal is to knock out a bit of that backlog; I find, personally, that sometimes I have so many games to play that it's hard to focus on any individual one and finish it.

A few people mentioned in this thread that they've got Gemini Rue sitting around unfinished, and as it was featured in the Indie Royale I'm sure many more have it. Myself, I've played about an hour of it, but that was months ago and at this point it's probably best to start over. I'm going to try to make this a monthly thing if it works out, so in the future we can all vote on what the next game to play together should be. To that end, it's close enough to the start of January that I think February 1 is a good goal to have everyone finish the game.

For the uninitiated, Gemini Rue is a point-and-click adventure game in the vein of Beneath a Steel Sky and Blade Runner released by Wadjet Eye Games last year. The story features two characters: Azriel Odin (yes, that's actually his name,) and ex-assassin fighting an intergalactic Mafia, and amnesiac Delta-Six. After a certain point in the story, the player can switch between these characters at will and follow whichever story they please at any given time. The puzzles are all fairly intuitive, as opposed to some of the more esoteric solutions that plague many adventure games. There are some misguided action sequences, but I would recommend just playing on "Easy" (it only affects the combat) and they shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's got a great, retro graphics style and a hard-boiled neo-noir mystery that really set the tone and drive the game.

If you haven't already picked the game up but still want to join in, it's available on Steam or direct from the publisher for $10. If anyone has thoughts about how to organize this club, feel free to send some suggestions my way.

Help us decide what game to play next! Give us your input here.
    Last edited by sabrage; 17-01-2012 at 02:32 PM.