Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Ensemble Backlog: Gemini Rue

Since a lot of people here seem to have accrued the same kind of backlog that I have, I thought it'd be interesting to start a concurrent gaming club to play through our games together. The conceit of this thread is to designate a game for everybody involved to play together over a designated period and discuss it here. Things like flaws, plot and tactics are all fair game, though obviously any spoilers should be marked clearly, at the start of the post. The secondary goal is to knock out a bit of that backlog; I find, personally, that sometimes I have so many games to play that it's hard to focus on any individual one and finish it.

A few people mentioned in this thread that they've got Gemini Rue sitting around unfinished, and as it was featured in the Indie Royale I'm sure many more have it. Myself, I've played about an hour of it, but that was months ago and at this point it's probably best to start over. I'm going to try to make this a monthly thing if it works out, so in the future we can all vote on what the next game to play together should be. To that end, it's close enough to the start of January that I think February 1 is a good goal to have everyone finish the game.

For the uninitiated, Gemini Rue is a point-and-click adventure game in the vein of Beneath a Steel Sky and Blade Runner released by Wadjet Eye Games last year. The story features two characters: Azriel Odin (yes, that's actually his name,) and ex-assassin fighting an intergalactic Mafia, and amnesiac Delta-Six. After a certain point in the story, the player can switch between these characters at will and follow whichever story they please at any given time. The puzzles are all fairly intuitive, as opposed to some of the more esoteric solutions that plague many adventure games. There are some misguided action sequences, but I would recommend just playing on "Easy" (it only affects the combat) and they shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's got a great, retro graphics style and a hard-boiled neo-noir mystery that really set the tone and drive the game.

If you haven't already picked the game up but still want to join in, it's available on Steam or direct from the publisher for $10. If anyone has thoughts about how to organize this club, feel free to send some suggestions my way.

Help us decide what game to play next! Give us your input here.
    Last edited by sabrage; 17-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Does this mean I have to add it to my list as game no.5 in my backlog now? I think this just might push me over the edge if a few others join us :-).
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

I'm in. Just yesterday I started playing it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I always end up despising point and click adventure games, I wish I'd just watched "let's play"searching mostly.

But okay, I will try and get it played this month.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I just spent a good part of the day playing this from beginning to end because of this thread. Sad part is that I hadn't even intended to play it before though, so my backlog wasn't really reduced.

It was quite a good game, I liked the story and characters and got caught by some of its twists. My biggest complaint is well exemplified by the elevators. You have a lot of elevators to ride in the game, and every time you have to: right-click the call button, use hand, wait for door to open, go in, right click buttons, use hand, select floor, wait a few seconds for the ride, wait for door to open, walk out. If they'd just changed that to: click door, select floor, cut to you walking out; I'd have been a lot happier.

I'll probably keep up with this thread and attempt to finish any game that comes up. Good initiative.

Lovely looking game, nice voice acting too. I've hit no logical brick walls which is the highest praise you can give a point and click adventure, just finished been swapped and got to be delta six for the first time (past brain wipe).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Right, this is getting added to my list, thanks to your summaries (and particularly Helio's summary of the puzzles being logical - a rare thing indeed!) - I've got most of sunday to play, so I'll see how i get along. Its been a while since i played (and wasn't confounded by) a point and click game, but the setting/plot etc. looks good.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Actually, not just are puzzles logical, you often have multiple valid choirs, and judging by the achievements, some smoother than others.

Only point stumped me was me not being used to left to move when going through a door I kept closing it... Doh!

Nice start. I'm somewhat annoyed by that tendency of some adventure games of not letting you pick up stuff until the game deems it's time you need it. Of course that's not the game's fault, it's a design decision, I'm just too used to the typical adventure game "pick up everything that's not nailed to the floor and get a prying bar to get the rest" mechanic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    The few hours needed to play through this were well spent, even though a third of them must have been occupied in walking back and forth. Mostly very well designed puzzles, I only had to look up a solution once and that was definitely a case of me not thinking everything through. The plot was enjoyable and certainly a step up from your average game writing, but I didn't think it was wrapped up very well.

*Minor spoilers follow*
    One thing that did disappoint me, and is frequently a problem even with well written games, was how one-dimensional the characters seemed. My first instincts about them always turned out to be right, they lacked any capability to surprise. I thought the initial conversations and the little notes in Center 7 did a great job of cultivating suspicion about the motives of the other characters, but it didn't go anywhere. I felt it could have been more interesting if Balder really was your friend, or Epsilon-Five had her own agenda beyond being your loyal pet.

Network Hub
    I'm jumping in on this. I have such giant backlog it's hard for me to pull myself together and start any of the games. I also have a bunch of games which I started but never finished cause I always wind up playing my usual Starcraft 2, TF2 or just Cogs or something similar.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Wasn't able to play this on my proper laptop because it didn't like something about the system (64-bit Windows perhaps)... So let's see if it runs on this here netbook...

And it runs. Got some Berlin to explore today, but I'll play some tonight.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

I have this and will try to finish it by the due date. Seems like a neat idea.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Just finished it. In general I quite liked it, and was totally caught out by the twist. Reminded me both of the Blade Runner movie and game, and also the commentary on identity was very PKDian (which I feel I need to mention separately because I never felt they covered that as well in the film as they could have).

The voice acting was generally good, but I almost feel like the writing would have seemed stronger with no VA. Or the writing actually was ham-fisted at times and the actors were just doing the best they could.

I'll definitely spend the time to play it again with the commentary on and to do some achievement hunting.

Sabrage - are we going to do some voting on games to tackle next? 'Cause I quite like the idea of going through the backlog with something of a club.

Network Hub
    I've played a bit of it and it seems fine. I've had some graphical glitches when loading games (autosaves mostly) and some conversations that for some reason skip automatically (like if I held a mouse button), but generally I like it. Especially the fact that there are multiple solutions to some problems. Not a common thing in adventure games.
    I wonder if the story manages to surprise me. I'm not far into the game but I have a strong hunch about the purpose of Station 7. I'd be very pleased if it turns out to be something entirely different.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW ! (It's pretty much my hunch about the story, but if I'm spot on it might spoil someone's fun.)

To me, it seems like Station 7 is a brainwashing facility. The Boryokudan are putting people who rebel against the in there and train them in the 'art of prison breaking'. Then they wipe their memory again and brainwash them into thinking they're the right side to be on or it happens simultaneously to 'training'. That's why it resembles a prison so much with all it's dynamics and has so much people trying to escape. That way they get new members who can easily escape from any prison they might get put into.
    It's kind of a long shot. Seems even longer now, when I wrote it down, but if I'm right, I'll get some satisfaction from the story not being surprising :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Are you using the steam overlay? Tab will skip through conversations, the game tends to think it's still on after you close the overlay. Pressing tab once should sort it out.

Well shit, I've been completely neglecting this thread. I've yet to fire up the game at all... But I will!
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Sabrage - are we going to do some voting on games to tackle next? 'Cause I quite like the idea of going through the backlog with something of a club.
    Absolutely. I'm hoping to make this a monthly thing, so anyone who's interested can start throwing out nominations. I'll gather 5 or so that a sizable amount of people have/are interested in, and from there I'll make a separate thread with a poll. Off the top of my head, I've yet to really play STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, the original Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and Hitman: Blood Money.

Network Hub
    I really like the idea for making this a monthly thing. I have a lot of good and fun games but I just need a nudge to start playing them.
    As for ideas I have so much games that I wouldn't know where to start :) I recently started STALKER: SoC, started the original Deus Ex a while ago but then switched to the new one. Among other games unfinished I have Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor, Amnesia, The Ball, Crysis (+ Warhead), Darwinia, Darksiders and a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor, Darwinia
    Apparently these will all run on my netbook, so I'd be keen to give them a shot. Deus Ex isn't officially on my backlog, but I just remembered that I've never actually finished it, so I'm going to have to add it on now.

Other titles on my list that might be common:
    Fallout: Tactics
    Cave Story+
    Avadon: The Black Fortress
    Cthulhu Saves the World
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Planescape: Torment

My full list is here, for reference.

Right, made a Google Doc so everyone can throw their choices up. No reason we won't be able to use this in the months to follow as well, so I threw quite a few up there. I purposely avoided putting further adventure games on there, just to keep things diverse month-to-month.