Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Who else got screwed by today's Steam update?

It deleted almost all of my categories and prevented me from launching any games. Now, this solution fixed both of those issues, but I can't access my Orcs Must Die save file (it's not deleted, but I don't know if restoring the original appcache will bring back the same problems.) I have no idea what other games this affected, and now my friends list is having trouble displaying users' icons. How ironic that this comes just days after defending Steam; I didn't even see a prompt asking me if I wanted to update.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I just got asked if I wanted to update and after restarting Steam things seem unharmed so far (SPAZ starts and my saves are there). I got a bit worried this morning because it kept saying it was synchronizing, but never finished so I had to quit it when I went to bed; SPAZ is fun, but I don't really want to play another 50 hours to get where I am in my current game.

I didn't have any categories, though, and I guess it's also possible the update I got had been fixed. I must have received it a bit later than you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Just updated and everything seems to be in order.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Mine asked if I wanted to update, so I clicked yes, and then it got stuck on the "Steam Cloud synchronisation", so I hit 'exit' and it updated normally. Haven't noticed anything unusual, I'm just about to play some Saints Row 3 so I should see if anything's out of order as that's a Steamworks game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    No issues here, but two updates back the update reset my categories, which infuriated me, so I can totally relate.

I did get a prompt asking to update though, like usual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Managed to fix my OMD! save by re-enabling Steam Cloud. Not seeing any problems anymore.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Works fine for me. I don't have many categories (favourites, games that work on my laptop, everything else) but they're all still there.

I had a few problems but nothing major. First my categories were gone, so I had to spend some time re-organizing, although it lead me to un-install nearly 15GB of games that I decided I didn't need installed any more, so it wasn't all bad. Then it wouldn't sync and Deus Ex HR wouldn't launch, but after a restart (of Steam, not my comp) it all seemed to sort itself out and I've had no issues since then.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

<Insert random steam issue here>

Solution for that issue:

Delete clientregistry.blob