Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

FEZ Finally on PC, it seems.

GOG Posted it today (I discovered it in my inbox this afternoon):
    https://secure.gog.com/gamecard/fez

Should be interesting to see what Phil Fish does with this rather sublime little platformer. As someone who played the living crap out of it on xbox, and who managed to figure out every puzzle in the game without the help of the internet (with one pesky exception), I'm rather interested to see how he's going to adapt certain puzzles that require a controller to solve. Unless of course he's got a deal lined up to produce FEZ-themed vibrating mice.

Regardless, FEZ was wonderful on that little white consolebox, and I will probably play it again when it hits PC. The music alone is worth it. [Link to the soundtrack: http://disasterpeace.com/album/fez Well worth listening to]

On another note: how can someone as rude and unapologetic as Phil Fish make such a genuinely vibrant and wonderful adventure game?
    Last edited by TheIronSky; 20-04-2013 at 05:09 AM.

He said in an AMA that he'll use sound cues instead of vibration. I'll play it with a controller in any case and am curious what the fuss is about. I'm not very hopeful after watching "Indie Game: The Movie" and the personality he showed.

edit: Nobody should forget the "spreadsheets" line.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    On another note: how can someone as rude and unapologetic as Phil Fish make such a genuinely vibrant and wonderful adventure game?
    Quite easily, being a prick is not mutually exclusive with making something good. Though I won't be buying it because I hate the guy.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Quite easily, being a prick is not mutually exclusive with making something good. Though I won't be buying it because I hate the guy.
    I'm 50-50 on this. Don't know if buy at outrageous discount, abuse GoGs DRM or just pass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can easily separate art and the artist - I like Wagner (who doesn't?) so I have much experience in doing this.

In some ways, Phil Fish isn't as bad as certain other indie developers who clearly court controversy for personal gain - I think he's just MASSIVELY insecure and absolutely crap at promoting himself without coming-off as an asshole.

That and his rather foolish decision to get into bed with Microsoft - but he's not the first person to make that mistake and he won't be the last.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Going with MS worked out ridiculously well for Notch with their eventual Xbox release of Minecraft I wonder if Fez had been PC first if things would have been any different. I guess it doesn't have a wide an appeal as Minecraft though.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    In some ways, Phil Fish isn't as bad as certain other indie developers who clearly court controversy for personal gain - I think he's just MASSIVELY insecure and absolutely crap at promoting himself without coming-off as an asshole.
    On the contrary, I think he plays up that point. When RPS looked at Indie Game: The Movie one line stuck out: they said that Phil Fish was infecting the movie, and I kind of agree, particularly with those series of shots of Fish just agonising over the game in a pretentious manner. He reminds me a little bit of a hipster (Dr) Derek Smart - while (Dr) Smart is just a colossal prick with an ego barely contained by the known universe, Fish alternates between arrogance and self-loathing. Both of them create drama for marketing... except nobody gives a flying fig what (Dr) Smart is up to these days.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I can easily separate art and the artist - I like Wagner (who doesn't?) so I have much experience in doing this.
    So can I. I can admit that it looks like an entertaining game. But I don't want to give money to Fish, just like some people refuse to give money to EA.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

So can I. I can admit that it looks like an entertaining game. But I don't want to give money to Fish, just like some people refuse to give money to EA.
    You could say you'd rather not feed the Fish...

csi_miami_yeah_super.jpg

But really - it's a great game. Just pick it up from pakoito when he decides to abuse GOG's inherent lack of DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    You could say you'd rather not feed the Fish...
    Okay, I have to admit, I did smile at that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It's your money. Personally I don't think I've ever been so offended by a comment from a game's head developer, that I refused to buy their game. Not unless the comment had ramifications for the game (DRM!)

Network Hub
    I have to say, I don't hate Fish. He came across as a guy that was really worried that he would be a failure - that kind of fear does strange things to the way you think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Going with MS worked out ridiculously well for Notch with their eventual Xbox release of Minecraft I wonder if Fez had been PC first if things would have been any different. I guess it doesn't have a wide an appeal as Minecraft though.
    Yeah, did you see how he did so though? He negotiated deals no one else had (MS charges 30,000 PER UPDATE and Notch has renegotiated it). Plus Minecraft was already advertised strongly, Fez was not. Minecraft has re-playability (for kids and most adults, everyone's taste differs, but as a sandbox is it "unlimited"), Fex is SP and has an end. It's like apples and giant flying robotic oranges. Hard to compare.

It's more like comparing Fez to Super Meat Boy. Even Super Meat Boy has more re-playability IMO. Though the price in the eye of the consumer may be similar. I'd expect them both to have been done over, sadly, by MS and the exclusivity deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I find that easy to believe. Minecraft was a phenomenon, selling millions without publisher assistance. For once a developer had all the power at the negotiating table.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    (Dr) Derek Smart - while (Dr) Smart is just a colossal prick with an ego barely contained by the known universe, Fish alternates between arrogance and self-loathing. Both of them create drama for marketing... except nobody gives a flying fig what (Dr) Smart is up to these days.
    See, when I said this on the old RPS forums in a more polite manner (Dr) Smart personally signed up just to tell me he's earned more money than I ever will and that I have a tiny brain.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Also Linux and Mac versions in the horizon. So, yay for that. And for the fact that the game is pretty damn great, one of the better platformers (well, kinda platformer?) that I've played in years.

As for Fish himself... well, I've gotten the image that he has mellowed quite a bit, which is nice. Or at least that's the image I got from his AMA a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    See, when I said this on the old RPS forums in a more polite manner (Dr) Smart personally signed up just to tell me he's earned more money than I ever will and that I have a tiny brain.
    I keep hoping that one day (Dr) Smart will come back if I say his name enough.
    DEREK SMART, DEREK SMART, DEREK SMART!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Good thing mental capacity and monetary gain is the measure of person hood then... oh wait.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I remember when I first heard about Fez on 1up home of 'The Brodeo'

*pours a 40oz*
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I find that easy to believe. Minecraft was a phenomenon, selling millions without publisher assistance. For once a developer had all the power at the negotiating table.
    Interesting to note that there were LOADS of Minecraft clones already on XBLIG when MS were pitching for Minecraft 'proper' - and even when it arrived, those games continued to sell buckets...

So you have wonder what the fuss was?

From Phil Fish's Twitter feed:
    "9$ for a game like FEZ is a STEAL. i should be charging you 90$ you fucking ingrates."

What a likable guy!