Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Games Informer reveals XCOM... made by Firaxis Games

This is the announcement you've been waiting for: One of the most beloved strategy titles of all time re-imagined by one of the best strategy studios in the world. Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place.

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"Its been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. Were huge fans of the original game and its a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

If you're lost, you can find out what all the fuss over the original X-COM is in the in-depth Classic GI feature we printed a few months ago (now available online for the first time), which includes rare insight from series creator Julian Gollop.

The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.

In addition, the February issue has our lengthy love letter to the top 50 games of 2011, an exclusive look at new Mass Effect 3 details, and the final word on Final Fantasy XIII-2 along with all the usual goodies.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC this fall. Until then, check up on our XCOM hub page all month long as we bring you exclusive new content including video interviews with the team leads and the legendary Sid Meier himself.

The February issue of Game Informer should be arriving in mailboxes and newsstands over the next week. If you can't wait for a physical copy, click here to subscribe (or to switch your physical subscription) to our digital edition for when that version goes live on January 10th.
    Just what the fans wanted, right?

OH MY! OH MY!
    I think I'm gonna die of expectations

Network Hub
    Was this in development all along I wonder, or put together because 2K realized with the outcry from the new game that there is still an audience for turn based strategy?

I seem to remember just recently that 2K said something along the lines of this genre wasn't profitable (or some similar nonsense)... guess they changed their minds.

Either way, I am stoked. If this does awesome, it could reignite the genre. And Firaxis behind it? Super stoked.

I also imagine the price is going to be cheap, seeing as how this will probably only be a downloadable title for 360 / PS3.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 05-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Was this in development all along I wonder, or put together because 2K realized with the outcry from the new game that there is still an audience for turn based strategy?
    I've been hearing about this for years, before the other XCOM was revealed.
    However I can't be sure if Firaxis was working on it all along or 2K saw the rumours and decided it's a good idea.
    Also I blame this game for the lack of Civ5 expansions.

Hurray, not enough turn-based strategy games out there. It'll be a nice change of pace (I hope!) from Disciples II and Frozen Synapse.

Can't wait. Amusing backpedal on behalf of 2k though.

I hope it continues on from the advancements of XCOM Apocalypse rather than just being a remake of the original though. I'm talking about the political/market/construction side of the game, which was a lot more complex in Apocalypse. I very much enjoyed the UFO:After--- series and felt they (eventually) succeeded in pushing the tactical elements in an interesting direction but they largely failed to do the same for the strategic element.

Hmm. What does this mean for 2K Marin's game? Is it still going ahead?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Hmm. What does this mean for 2K Marin's game? Is it still going ahead?
    Yes. It comes out in the Fall too.

While that release is a retail release, I am pretty sure this XCOM will be a download only title on the 360 / PS3 / PC. I don't see two different XCOM games being sold on store shelves at the same time which leads me to believe this, plus smaller genre games like this tend to be on Xbox Live Arcade, not Xbox 360 proper.

If it is, the bonus as I wrote earlier is this won't be more than $15 max. I guess we gotta wait for the official reveal though.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 05-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.

^ Glad to hear it. And with that concern out of the way... this could be good too. Cool.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."
    OMG they're gonna ruin it!!!!!!!!1 Down with all things Firaxis!

No really, it's remarkable how similar that reads to 2K Marin's spiel.
    Last edited by Rii; 05-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    ^ Glad to hear it. And with that concern out of the way... this could be good too. Cool.

OMG they're gonna ruin it!!!!!!!!1 Down with all things Firaxis!

No really, it's remarkable how similar that reads to 2K Marin's spiel.
    Go read the article in Game Informer, it will put some of your concerns at ease. I'm a big fan of the series and I am looking forward to Firaxis's take on it. The 2K version, well the last version that was marched out for viewing (although this could be changing since pushed back to 2013) and the Firaxis are worlds apart. This is bad timing for Xenonauts project though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasrex View Post
    Go read the article in Game Informer, it will put some of your concerns at ease.
    I don't have any concerns. I was mocking popular sentiment regarding that other (unmentionable) XCOM game that's under development.

Network Hub
    I'll sooner buy this as a download only title than that bollocks cover based 1950s shooter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This will suck. That's my prediction!

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    This will suck. That's my prediction!
    But Firaxis! :(
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I think I can hear the Xenonauts team screaming!

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Man, I'm so excited for this... I read it today... and was super SUPER excited. Huge fan of the original... probably right up there with my top games of all time, honestly. Can't wait to see what Firaxis is going to do with it. I'm also hoping for some multiplayer, though it better be better than Civ V's multiplayer laggy nonsense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Lets look at this scientifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sid Meier's Gettysburg! (1997)Beyond its time
    Sid Meier's Antietam! (1998) no idea
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)Relentlessly awesome
    Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (1999) Less good than it could have been, but good
    Sid Meier's Civilization III (2001)Kinda rubbish
    Sid Meier's Civilization III: Play the World (2002) Kinda rubbish
    Sid Meier's Civilization III: Conquests (2003)Kinda rubbish
    Sid Meier's SimGolf (2002)Kinda rubbish
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004)Very good.
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV (2005)Very good.
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords (2006)Kinda oddly rubbish
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword (2007)Very good.
    Sid Meier's Railroads! (2006) Very good.
    Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (2008)Sucks except MP
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (2008) Very good.
    Sid Meier's Civilization V (2010) Sucks except MP... So good?

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
    So starting at SMAC the pattern has been, if we classify Civ 5 as "good" (source Metascore: 90)

Good, good, bad bad bad,bad, good, good, bad, good good, bad, good, good
    You'll notice good games only ever come in pairs, and the bad games in non 2 groups (1, 3 and 4)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown being good would mean 3 good Firaxis games in a row, this has never happened before.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Where can I get this "Sid Meier's Railroads!: Good Edition"?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Where can I get this "Sid Meier's Railroads!: Good Edition"?
    You never played it multi player did you? Locking out an opponent from an area by buying up all the bushinesses, or forcing them to make you money if they wanted to complete their empire? It was like monopoly^10
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Civilization III was rubbish? Huh. I loved it. What in particular did you dislike?