Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    It looks like Firaxis is finally making a strategy game that won't be completely crippled by AI or multiplayer shortcomings. This makes me happy.

Civ (and all 4X games) do a terrible job of executing their design competently.

Progression, difficulty scaling, asymmetrical gameplay should be much easier to get right
    So its not just me that is having technical problems with Civ 5 multiplayer. Heck, its LAN and it bugs out every second round. very annoying.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Pre-ordered and awaiting the release, will probably avoid videos and such from now on so it all will be fresh and crisp for me.

Quite happy with Civ 5 though, I only played a few shorter games of Civ 4 quite a while ago and even though I get the sense that Civ 5 is a bit "dumber", or maybe it is just hiding some information/choices behind menus I haven't seen, I find Civ 5 easier to get into and focus on. Must say this will keep my strategy nerves calm until XCOM arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Blockade View Post
    Quite happy with Civ 5 though, I only played a few shorter games of Civ 4 quite a while ago and even though I get the sense that Civ 5 is a bit "dumber", or maybe it is just hiding some information/choices behind menus I haven't seen, I find Civ 5 easier to get into and focus on. Must say this will keep my strategy nerves calm until XCOM arrives.
    Civ5 has a better combat system, though. Dont feel like its dumbed down at all, especially with the Gods & Kings expansion.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All I need for the % to make sense is a good explanation of what determines them. I don't care how unrealistic it looks as long as there is a consistent and understandable numerical model running under the hood.
    Last edited by Giaddon; 02-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    All I need for the % to make sense is a good explanation of what determines them. I don't care how unrealistic it looks as long as their is a consistent and understandable numerical model running under the hood.
    Yeah, I think its recruits = sux; shotguns = short range; rifles = medium range; snipers = long range.

And then theres the statistics and the special skills.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Any fans of the All Your History series here? They just released one for X-Com.

So I'm pretty sure I had a dream / nightmare last night in which Tom Jones was singing Sex Bomb with the lyrics 'sex bomb' replaced by 'X-COM'. Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    All I need for the % to make sense is a good explanation of what determines them. I don't care how unrealistic it looks as long as there is a consistent and understandable numerical model running under the hood.
    Weapon used and range to target. Which kind of cover the enemy is behind (no cover is pretty much free shot). Whether or not the enemy is flanked. Class shooting (accuracy goes = Sniper>Support>Assault>Heavy>Rookie), etc, etc.

This video, man this video, as if I didn't want to buy this game badly enough, they make this damned video...

all you need is to find someone to trade you a game for it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like his shirt and would wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I like his shirt and would wear it.
    Id rather have the emblem as a pad I can put on any sweater. I still have an old army sweater lying around :D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Id rather have the emblem as a pad I can put on any sweater. I still have an old army sweater lying around :D
    Heh, 2K sent me exactly what you just described the other day. If you really want it I could send it to you (if I can find it when I get back to work).

Obscure Node
    If you pre-ordered off GMG they just released the keys so you can pre-load through steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Flipping tables because staggered release dates suck, anyone want to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Flipping tables because staggered release dates suck, anyone want to join me?
    Repels the flipped table with Shield of HotSpot.
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    Heh, 2K sent me exactly what you just described the other day. If you really want it I could send it to you (if I can find it when I get back to work).
    Really?! that sounds awesome! I honestly didnt know they had those made.

Thanks, even if you dont find it ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Really?! that sounds awesome! I honestly didnt know they had those made.

Thanks, even if you dont find it ;D
    Found it, I'll post a picture of it there tonight and send it to you if you want.

NDA's off by the way so if anyone's got any question...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    Found it, I'll post a picture of it there tonight and send it to you if you want.

NDA's off by the way so if anyone's got any question...
    Good points, bad points? Stuff you'd like to have seen included/removed?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Good points, bad points? Stuff you'd like to have seen included/removed?
    I like that it's hard without being unfair (I played on normal and classic, both good choices in my opinion)

The amount of maps is great too, especially for the random missions ; allows you to ignore the main objectives and just spin the globe until panic starts to be out of control.

You can also replay it until the end of days, even the main objective missions are randomized if you reload a previous savegame.

I think they should have added more progression in the technology you can unlock. There are a lot of science projects but you spend a long time with the starting weapons, a long time with the best weapons available and too little time with everything in-between. Same thing with aliens, really, you end-up fighting the starting ones and the best ones longer than anything else.

There are also a few camera problems, bugs and annoyance in the interface that could be corrected by a patch.

Art direction and characters are pretty bland, as expected.
    Last edited by Choca; 08-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.