Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Cool, thanks!

I was reading some tips and this works 100%:
    An enemy will waste their turn and do nothing if
    (a) everyone they can see is in full or half cover in relation to them. (blue icon)
    (b) at least one soldier visible to the alien is on overwatch
    (c) at least one soldier is visibly flanking the alien

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Cool, thanks!

(a) everyone they can see is in full or half cover in relation to them. (blue icon)
    Sadly untrue. Maybe for Normal difficulty, but on Classic, they actively move towards you, or throw grenades, or all sorts of crazy shit.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I have been testing it on Classic and it appears to always work for me.
    Be sure everyone is in cover relative to the enemy, even the flanking soldier, and at least one he can see must be on overwatch.

I believe that the enemy might also have to be isolated or alone. I never really get into correct positioning when there are too many aliens.

I have been testing it on Classic and it appears to always work for me.
    Be sure everyone is in cover relative to the enemy, even the flanking soldier, and at least one he can see must be on overwatch.

I believe that the enemy might also have to be isolated or alone. I never really get into correct positioning when there are too many aliens.
    Hm, that could be true. I guess theres too many variables to calculate, or the computer panics :D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Cool, thanks!

Yeah the AI has some glitches unfortunatly.
    Sometimes I've had an alien double move close to my guys and end up out of cover ...
    Let's hope they patch this quickly.

Still a great game though

Network Hub
    Firaxis released Second Wave DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown almost a week ago bringing 16 new game-dependent options, according to an Australian blog. So far, this DLC is more interesting than the first one, Slingshot. Anybody who have played the XCOM with this DLC?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    X-Com is coming to iOS. No new DLC or Android version. /sad
    Wonder if they will put this for Windows 8, like they added a Windows 8 mode for Civ 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQt8xQqy95k

And also, hopefully someday we can purchase a game once, get it on all platforms and have saves that can be shared between devices.

Network Hub
    Apparently new content may be on the way, during the PAX East panel they hinted at a new faction appearing in the game. Sounds like it is going to be an expansion pack as they aren't planning on revealing any more for a while.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/23/413...pax-east-panel

I'd like to see them rework the game a bit at the same time. Classic Ironman has been impossible for me to play thanks to the RNG of it all, I've lost good campaigns in two missions where most squad members get wiped out in a couple turns even when they're in full cover. It isn't an AI improvement in so much as a higher chance of getting shot even when in full cover, or taking critical hits etc. that makes the game just frustrating. I wished this would happen with patches but they seem few and far between.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    X-Com is coming to iOS. No new DLC or Android version. /sad
    That's pretty cool, looks almost like a 1:1 port except for touch screen UI and graphical fidelity. Love the comments: "OMFG iOS SUCKS. HOW DUMBED DOWN IS IT ON THE PC IF IT CAN PLAY ON iOS?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    I'd like to see them rework the game a bit at the same time. Classic Ironman has been impossible for me to play thanks to the RNG of it all, I've lost good campaigns in two missions where most squad members get wiped out in a couple turns even when they're in full cover.
    That's XCOM. In the original cover could just be blasted away, and you could lose a campaign due to bad luck just as much as poor planning.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    That's pretty cool, looks almost like a 1:1 port except for touch screen UI and graphical fidelity. Love the comments: "OMFG iOS SUCKS. HOW DUMBED DOWN IS IT ON THE PC IF IT CAN PLAY ON iOS?!"
    A turn-based strategy game on a touchscreen tablet? Inconceivable! Also, you must need some kind of space age supercomputer for all those computations, like we had in 1994. Your iPad 4 with a 1.4GHz dual core CPU and 1GB of RAM can't beat my 486/50 with a turbo button, no way.

XCOM's keyboard/mouse UI was clunky and terrible. The touch interface looks fine, maybe even better. If it's priced in line with other big iPad games ($10-15 max), it should do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    Apparently new content may be on the way, during the PAX East panel they hinted at a new faction appearing in the game. Sounds like it is going to be an expansion pack as they aren't planning on revealing any more for a while.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/23/413...pax-east-panel

I'd like to see them rework the game a bit at the same time. Classic Ironman has been impossible for me to play thanks to the RNG of it all, I've lost good campaigns in two missions where most squad members get wiped out in a couple turns even when they're in full cover. It isn't an AI improvement in so much as a higher chance of getting shot even when in full cover, or taking critical hits etc. that makes the game just frustrating. I wished this would happen with patches but they seem few and far between.
    That's cool but no elite soldier pack? Man, I loved the helmets :(

I thought Classic Ironman was challenging at best if you have the cash and equipment, especially if you manage to kit out a six-squad team with Plasmas and Titan armor. And oh, everything is already pre-determined at the start of the mission (PRNG) rather than randomized (RNG).
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    A turn-based strategy game on a touchscreen tablet? Inconceivable! Also, you must need some kind of space age supercomputer for all those computations, like we had in 1994. Your iPad 4 with a 1.4GHz dual core CPU and 1GB of RAM can't beat my 486/50 with a turbo button, no way.
    VILE SORCERY! It's abhorrent that such things be allowed to exist in this day and age! But yeah, Youtube comments, what do we expect I guess?

The keyboard/mouse UI was pretty crap, clearly they designed it to compromise for controllers which is a stupid idea. It wasn't so much the keyboard but more that the mouse was unreasonably crippled in some ways. Still a great game though!
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    X-Com is coming to iOS.
    If you are easily offended, please look away for a second.

FUCK YES!
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Would be cool if the new faction was like the Cult of Sirius in Apocalypse!

Banned
    Chance to hit: 99%

Chance to buy a new iPhone: 1%

Too risky a purchase for me...

Obscure Node
    Just been given a free XCOM key for by Bioshock pre-order. Already own the game, anyone want it (for free)?

I wouldn't mind taking it, auxout. I'm curious about all the fuss.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

The keyboard/mouse UI was pretty crap, clearly they designed it to compromise for controllers which is a stupid idea. It wasn't so much the keyboard but more that the mouse was unreasonably crippled in some ways. Still a great game though!
    Using explosives was a horrible pain. Tying the camera to the cursor was a terrible idea.

Obscure Node
    Posting here because RPS' silly forum wont let me make a new thread:

http://games.on.net/2013/03/rumour-xcom-fps-reportedly-re-branded-as-the-bureau-xcom-name-removed

Seems like a good move to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    VILE SORCERY! It's abhorrent that such things be allowed to exist in this day and age! But yeah, Youtube comments, what do we expect I guess?

I must admit I am pretty impressed that they've managed to get the game running on IOS. Game is obviously compromised to a fair degree graphically, but it's still quite an achievement. Hopefully it will be a big hit for them (much good will towards Firiaxis).

Also XCOM on PC with a controller is definitely the way to go. Makes life a lot easier when you're dealing with variable heights etc
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....