Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 382
  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    I predict the marketing department changes gears before release and turns this into a music timing game like dance dance revolution.

  2. #42
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    I predict the marketing department changes gears before release and turns this into a music timing game like dance dance revolution.
    Is it bad that I'd still play it?
    steam


  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    hah. You gotta try sequence.

  4. #44
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,358
    I wish they chose Terror From The Deep instead. It's my favorite. Not so much because of gameplay mechanics, which are barely changed and don't take advantage of underwater environment. I just loved the atmosphere:
    - better music
    - nicer art direction, XCOM/UFO 1 looks like an obnoxious american superhero comic to me
    - slightly Cthulhu-ish flavor
    - environments ! Your underwater base is attacked and no police, military or even an ambulance can arrive and help you. Seedy port areas, cruise ships, sunken ruins or coral mazes.
    - slightly better balance. Torpedo launcher doesn't work above water, the equivalent of laser rifles DOES become obsolete.

    Nevertheless, I'm cautiously optimistic. The game may just be enjoyable. And if it's a success, they may remake TFTD as well. It has amazing potential due to different environment (underwater) and atmosphere.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 07-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    The only thing about this that is a bit worrisome is the fact that they're also making it for consoles. How many corners will they have to cut to make it console friendly, and how will this affect the PC version? Hopefully, none and not at all, but you never know...
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  6. #46
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,525
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I wish they chose Terror From The Deep instead.
    Oh god I hope not. TFTD was just ridiculously difficult with all the one-hit super resistant monsters. Also, what equivalent of laser rifles? I don't recall anything having unlimited ammo, which was the major reason why you kept laser rifles (cheap, no upkeep) as well as the alien weapons (better damage, upkeep in clips). The closest I can think are the Gauss Rifles which were borderline useless.

  7. #47
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    The only thing about this that is a bit worrisome is the fact that they're also making it for consoles. How many corners will they have to cut to make it console friendly, and how will this affect the PC version? Hopefully, none and not at all, but you never know...
    Well, I doubt it's going to be a technological marvel but I have no idea how they would even begin to create a controller-friendly control scheme for something like X-Com. It's like eating soup with a fork.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    The only thing about this that is a bit worrisome is the fact that they're also making it for consoles.
    Oh.
    That's not a bit worrisome. That's terrifying !

    How many corners will they have to cut to make it console friendly, and how will this affect the PC version? Hopefully, none and not at all, but you never know...
    When was the last time you've played a console/PC game that wasn't simplified or otherwise watered down ? I stopped buying games that have console versions, except for games which make a console port later.

    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Oh god I hope not. TFTD was just ridiculously difficult with all the one-hit super resistant monsters.
    You mean like the Chrysalids in UFO ? TFTD had Tentaculats and that's it. I never let Lobster Men come close.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 07-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.

  9. #49
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    It's like eating soup with a fork.
    Man!
    I am going to blow your mind, are ready? Here it comes, homecooked chunky lamb soup.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #50
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    380
    I got bored with TFTD, even when it was new (and that's in the wake of being completely consumed by it for two weeks). It got boring, and there was just too much in the combat for a turn-based system to handle. Constant terror sites and bases needed doing, but these now took hours to complete.

    The worst example was doing a ship mission... the last Lobsterman hid in the closet of one of the cabins! Have you any idea how tedious it is to search all four/five decks, from top to bottom, in a turn based game? The motion detector was useless, and you had to go right into the room to turn and look into the closet. Then, of course, comes the second phase, below decks.

    They pushed the engine beyond breaking point there. Some of the later, crucial technologies required a lot of time to research (even with my huge, dedicated research base) that I'd have to do upwards of a dozen tedious busywork combat missions just to see the next piece of research completed.

    Apocalypse saved the day by having huge, complex levels but letting you use pauseable real-time so the searches (often with motion sensor in hand to spot aliens trying to run for the exits) were far more enjoyable.

  11. #51
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    The only thing about this that is a bit worrisome is the fact that they're also making it for consoles. How many corners will they have to cut to make it console friendly, and how will this affect the PC version? Hopefully, none and not at all, but you never know...
    They don't have to cut any corners to make it console friendly. While the PC hasn't had a large amount of turn based strategy games in years, the consoles still get them on a daily basis, and many of those games (such as the Disgaea series) are just as complex, if not more so, then your average PC TBS and work just fine with the controller.

    And the original X-Com was ported to the PlayStation as well and wasn't that bad in terms of controls, and from the little I played on my personal copy it didn't take out any features. If they could do it right in 1995 they can do it now. Hell, Jagged Alliance got ported to the DS and from what I understand, they did a pretty decent job with the limited resources they had and didn't cut anything there either. You can make a decent turn based strategy for both systems without sacrificing a thing.

    Firaxis has far greater resources and if they fall back on "we simplified it for consoles" they are selling *all* players short, not just PC ones.

    This remake has a lot of competition on the consoles from other TBS games and if it sucks, its going to get called out, just the same as it would on the PC. If its simplified, its going to get called out on that as well, because console players who play turn based strategy games are extremely hardcore about them and the genre.

    The point is, if they make it simplified or watered down, its not because of the consoles at all, who can definitely handle complex turn based strategy games (and its possible to make an interface that works for both consoles and PCs.) Blame Firaxis if that happens, not consoles and their players.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 07-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  12. #52
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    985
    You guys do realise Terror From the Deep was released on the original Playstation too right? And was identical to the PC version?

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,358
    The worst that can happen is I won't buy it...

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,389
    I don't see how a TUN BASED GAME! can be ruined by console controls, surely thats one thing that any control scheme can do pretty well since you don't have the problem of real time.

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I don't see how a TUN BASED GAME! can be ruined by console controls, surely thats one thing that any control scheme can do pretty well since you don't have the problem of real time.
    Wrong. There's a limit to how slow a turn-based control scheme can be before it gets irritating. Games need to stay on the right side of this limit. This could cause compromises.

  16. #56
    I'm not all that excited about this because the definitive XCOM has aleady been made. It's the sort of game that makes all attempted remakes feel like inferior knockoffs and I'm really not sure what one could do differently to change that.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

  17. #57
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,525
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    You mean like the Chrysalids in UFO ? TFTD had Tentaculats and that's it. I never let Lobster Men come close.
    UFO only had Chrysalids. TFTD would spam Tentaculats and Lobsermen, particularly on the base and terror missions. A lot of the enemies had the difficulty ramped up simply by including a greater resistance to firearms or by being a pain to kill. It didn't add any strategic depth or really do anything new except "Everything is harder to kill and most of your equipment is useless." That's not good game design. I still enjoy TFTD but for me it didn't have the same impact as the original. It felt lazy.

  18. #58
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    Never played the originals, but I'd be much more interested in this remake (or Xenonauts) than the FPS they're making.

    Still, the fact it's coming out on consoles too is a little worrying - I think they're far more likely to make compromises that take it further away from the original if they're aiming for a console audience. One to keep an eye on though. I just wish EA would do something similar with Syndicate to coincide with the release of the FPS. Will just have to wait for Cartel I suppose.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  19. #59
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,338
    People should not be to worried, unless they do not redo the UI for the PC. Yes, they will have to make some compromises to make it enticing to a larger audience than what the audience was in 1994. But it can still be good. If you want someone closer to the original and more hardcore, play Xenonauts.

  20. #60
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    168
    As someone who's only ever played derivatives of X-COM rather than the originals (like the "UFO: After____" series, and the fan-project "UFO: Alien Invasion"), I'm really looking forward to this.
    The only thing that I hope is that Xenonauts doesn't get overlooked because of this - personally, because of the setting and (hopefully) the air combat, I think they'll probably be different enough for the likes of me to buy both.
    Steam ID: Fiyenyaa.
    My Blog: http://strollinggamely.wordpress.com/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •