Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Oh well guys its not long till release... for us euro bros it is in fact... TwwooOOOo WEEEeeeKs

Ugh, still 15 days. atleast I have carrier command to tide me over.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    This is ridiculous. I'm a 27 year old man and I hereby proclaim that I will no longer look at the release date on the Amazon webpage, check for the latest X-Com articles & videos, or contemplate buying the original game to pass the time.

Fuck.

I feel like throwing myself to the ground and start whimpering until the game gets a Steam offer...
    I might be whimpering a long time.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No, Time units make it less tactical, and more random. See earlier posts.

And apparently, you havent even played the demo, so I will ignore any comments about your problem with half cover. (ever play shooters? you can still shoot at people through objects, or you can just see their nose behind it, works the same. now please shut up about it, it is the least important aspect of this game.)
    I don't agree. For me, time-units makes the game less random as you can shoot, and then take cover for an exemple, without having a special perk on your soldiers. In Silent Storm you can activate a strafing ability, that lets your character strafe in and out of cover to take potshots. At least for me that simulates and on-going battle better then I'm seeing in Xcom, and don't forget interuption shots. A soldier strafes out of cover to shoot at an approaching enemy, but the enemy spots the soldier and gets an interupt shot. For me at least that simulates an on-going battle better -gameplay wise, than a random stat chance of you being hit behind cover with no clear line of sight for the enemy.

I have played the demo, with and without inofficial mod-tool(you can find it on the offcial forum). As I have said I'm not only talking about half-cover, I know how it works. I have accepted how the game works, I just don't prefer the method used for gameplay reasons. But my major concern is that some times, both you and the aliens can see the enemy through objects that should block the view completly and to add insult to injury you can fire upon that enemy. In one playthrough I had my sniper get shot by a random plasma bolt going through a house and a container without breaking the house or the container... and how the alien could see me in the first place? I don't know.

And telling me to shut up? Okay, I thought this was a discussion board. People get so touchy when you point out stuff that you don't like on thier upcoming favourite game. Oh well..

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    I disagree. Don't get me wrong, the new system "works" and makes the TB combat a lot smoother. It flows quite beautifully, but in the end you have 2 chances to do something and that's it. If your second move is 1 step forward or 10 doesn't make a difference and if you see an alien within that first step it doesn't matter because by then you'll have used your second move and you're soldier is where he is, regardless. It definitely is less forgiving in that it doesn't let you pull back simply because that 2nd move is your last no matter how far you actually move.
    I don't see this as a problem at all. By dashing you are trading in caution for distance, one step or 10 you have over extended yourself and you're exposed. If you was playing it safe you would move and then overwatch. I love the original but the removal of TUs is the thing I'm least bothered about.

I miss the inventory, I miss having the choice of what rocket launcher ammo I have on me and not being restricted to an ability on cooldown. Also, I miss Apocalypses collapsing buildings, that shouldn't have been left out.

Trying to decide if its worth using VPN for the October 9th release.

Wanted to repeat a link posted in the comments section of the latest RPS X-Com article. It's about the settings unlocked after completion. Not sure if it's confirmed: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...e-game-coolest

Though not PC, I've also been enjoying a video series by the Official Xbox Magazine which doesn't just do a one-off single mission, but a chunk of the campaign. You get a better sense of how things work, and it's one of the more entertaining vids too. Here's the first part of six:

I was none too impressed with the demo. Cancelled my pre-order yesterday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
    I was none too impressed with the demo. Cancelled my pre-order yesterday.
    Fair enough, but you do know that the demo in no way represents the game proper, right? The various articles on RPS give a much better idea of what the full thing will be like.

Ragequitting is always the best option. but I guess you dont lose that much from not pre-ordering, you'll just have to wait a month or two befor the game gets cheaper again.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    So I see they're giving out Civ V with preorders now. Too bad I have that game, because that could actually justify a price that I see as being what two games are worth.

I preordered mine in GMG for $32.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Those OXM squad videos are great, but they really showcase how unintuitive the cover system is. He shoots through multiple walls to kill an alien, then he has only a 48% chance to hit when one is right in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    Those OXM squad videos are great, but they really showcase how unintuitive the cover system is. He shoots through multiple walls to kill an alien, then he has only a 48% chance to hit when one is right in front of him.
    I don't know what to tell you. Things that no doubt affect the percentages are the classic difficulty he's on, the type of weapon (sniper rifles are less accurate the closer you are) and the fact that few of his squadies survive more than a couple of missions. Apparently fresh recruits kinda suck. He's on Ironman mode, so no reloading when things go tits up.

As for shooting through walls/object, yeah, needs some tweaking.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 30-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    -video-
    Need this, so much.

Seen the whole video series three times in two days. It really manages to convey that sense of frustration and loss so integral to the XCom experience, something I felt was missing from the majority of videos that show a single level. Several XCom players have already vowed to call one of their men Kitkat Chunky.

Yeah, it's strangely comforting, knowing that you can fail miserably.
    Last edited by Gorzan; 30-09-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Was sceptical, tried the demo, going to buy it from Steam tomorrow.
    Granted, it is different and I think the UI on PC needs some improvement. But overall it seems to be a high quality game I will have hours of fun with.
    And Civ5 for free? Sold.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    But in the original you could miss something that was 2 squares away if the game decided to pee in your tea and vomit into your kettle. The original relied on statistics to a fair extent when it came to actually aiming, except that after the shot was fired it was able to collide with anything. I'm guessing they didn't do that to make the stats slightly more relevant.

Granted it's a bit ridiculous and hopefully something the patch to an extent, but only having a 48% chance to hit when one is near by? No, I'll buy that. I'll put it down to wild panic or something, but it's by no means ridiculous.

Network Hub
    It looks like Firaxis is finally making a strategy game that won't be completely crippled by AI or multiplayer shortcomings. This makes me happy.

Civ (and all 4X games) do a terrible job of executing their design competently.

Progression, difficulty scaling, asymmetrical gameplay should be much easier to get right