Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No it isnt. FLCL, or "furi kuri" or "fooly cooly". wonderful anime series made by the Neon Genesis Evangelion people, almost immediately after they made NGE, as a sortof parody on it and anime in general. only six episodes, and only 2 manga, its wonderful. Its the reason I got my Vespa 50s.
    I love FLCL, one of my favorite short series. Also music by The Pillows who are also great.

Anyways! Elite Mutons are no match for my mind controller powers and it's hilarious to see the enemies trying to kill of my mind-slave while I shoot them in the face with one of their own. Sectoid Commanders are a complete other story, sick bastards made one of my crew shoot one of my crewmates in the face at close range; of all the times they decide to not miss.

Also, why do we have two XCOM threads, it's rather confusing.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 18-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    What's the motto on that badge? It's Latin for 'I watch, I trust'?
    Courtesy of Adam Shaftoe at Page of Reviews - I recommend reading the entire article, it's nice:

However, as a bottom line I’d have to say that the best translation for the phrase Vigilo Confido is I am watchful. I am relied upon. I really like “I am necessary,” but it’s too much of a conceptual leap. If by chance somebody knows of a precedent to justify “I am necessary” as the ideal solution, I’m all ears.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

The comments on that page are also interesting

Obscure Node
    I just finished my first single player campaign. Normal/Ironman. Damn man, the tension that game is able to generate is nearly unbearable. Fantastic!

Oh and, sniper colonels with double tap are insane. Simply insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I love FLCL, one of my favorite short series. Also music by The Pillows who are also great.

Anyways! Elite Mutons are no match for my mind controller powers and it's hilarious to see the enemies trying to kill of my mind-slave while I shoot them in the face with one of their own. Sectoid Commanders are a complete other story, sick bastards made one of my crew shoot one of my crewmates in the face at close range; of all the times they decide to not miss.

Also, why do we have two XCOM threads, it's rather confusing.
    Just so someone would get the link between me posting a pic of an XCOM badge on top of an FLCL manga and the actual game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

And received. Thanks a lot!

Attachment 2059
    Cool ! You're very welcome.

And received. Thanks a lot!

Attachment 2059
    Oh nice, are those on sale anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Oh nice, are those on sale anywhere?
    No clue, sadly. But Choca was nice enough to send me one hed received with a review copy, I assume.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Courtesy of Adam Shaftoe at Page of Reviews - I recommend reading the entire article, it's nice:
    It seems too convenient that the Council always says "We will be watching" following a monthly report.

First info about the first dlc.
    Disappointing to say the least.

nah, thats quite ok. I want a real expansion, not just some "DLC".

My wishlist is:

- Base defence missions
    - a second campaign with more aliens (more of the easy ones, zerg rushing you; plus some new ones)
    - more diverse encounters
    - more council missions
    - the ability to hack a sectopod
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Disappointing to say the least.
    I agree, it doesn't sound particularly inviting at all. XCOM isn't really a game where you can tack on DLC like that, it just seems out of place. It really needs a follow-up expansion that adds new gameplay, like base defence.

- more council missions
    Well, they do this a little with the DLC...

Yes, a bit more mission variety wouldn't hurt and base defense is still missing. Although my base didn't get assaulted the last 3 or 4 times I played X-Com or TFTD, knowing it can't happen does take away a bit of the menace. I also would like to have the option for a second skyranger. The hangar looks big enough.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Seems like today's update was pretty fucking stupid:

If you didnt know, today firaxis made it so that when you have an internet connection the game "calls home" and fetches the configuration files from the developers, instead of using the ones in the .exe file, meaning that any modding done to the game will be circumvented

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Programmer Spike View Post
    Seems like today's update was pretty fucking stupid:
    Yup. And after playing on Warspace mod, I can't go back. It was so much better :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Wow that's lame. Time to crack!

This is almost enough for me to want a refund... which is basically confused anger talking. What's so bad about mods? I wonder if this is to prevent online cheating. If so, perhaps a future update can solve this without ruining mods.

I do understand why they did it, which is to avoid cheating achievements (playing impossible with an actual easier difficulty - rofl) and preserving the integrity of the MP mode that mods modifying the .exe would affect, after all. But there are other ways to do this, like disabling the MP if the exe doesn't pass a check and more.

I don't care about multiplayer or achievements, why should I suffer? :(
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Apparently it will not update if you play in offline mode. I'll check this out. Luckily I have already disabled XCom's auto-updating. Gonna try to set Steam to offline mode. Was quite a headache last time I tried that, but I've heard they've fixed offline mode.

Edit: Confirmed! Running in offline mode (I guess obviously) keeps your old exe and mods working.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 25-10-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Adding this to the windows hosts file is the easiest way to avoid this idiotic block:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
    127.0.0.1 65.118.245.165