Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I must admit I am pretty impressed that they've managed to get the game running on IOS. Game is obviously compromised to a fair degree graphically, but it's still quite an achievement. Hopefully it will be a big hit for them (much good will towards Firiaxis).

Also XCOM on PC with a controller is definitely the way to go. Makes life a lot easier when you're dealing with variable heights etc
    Yeah I used a controler too.

i wonder on what Ipad they made the trailer though. I am pretty sure my Ipad2 would have slowdown running this game...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I had basically no trouble using the mouse in XCOM once I realized that you should use WASD to aim your AOE attacks and not the mouse.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Can anyone confirm how the Slingshot DLC missions work? Do I definitely need to start a new campaign after installing the DLC if I want to access them? I'm not too far in - I've done two Council missions and just finished the story mission from when the aerial bombardment starts - but I'm already quite attached to my squad!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Do I definitely need to start a new campaign after installing the DLC if I want to access them?
    Yes. When you start a new game, you'll be given the option to begin with a special mission, or something to that effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Playing this alot lately, cant get over the SWAT4 mission guy being Central, it is him right?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

According to imdb, he isn't.
    But most important is that the Council representative sounds like Optimus Prime.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    According to imdb, he isn't.
    But most important is that the Council representative sounds like Optimus Prime.
    It must be, or a knowing homage at least.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Nah, I looked around and the Council guy isn't Michael Ironside but close
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Unsettling Effect of Getting Old #513: I had to check YouTube to remind me what Optimus Prime sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Nah, I looked around and the Council guy isn't Michael Ironside
    Wel then Council guy and Optimus Prime have that in common.

But XCOM's head engineer is definitely Doctor Chang.

I also love how the soundtrack is basically all of Michael McCann's B-sides from Human Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Unsettling Effect of Getting Old #513: I had to check YouTube to remind me what Optimus Prime sounds like.
    #514: People around you think Michael Ironside is Optimus Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Wel then Council guy and Optimus Prime have that in common.

But XCOM's head engineer is definitely Doctor Chang.

I also love how the soundtrack is basically all of Michael McCann's B-sides from Human Revolution.

#514: People around you think Michael Ironside is Optimus Prime.
    Shit. I keep mixing up Peter Cullen with Mike Ironside. Now that Council Guy will have THREE guys with similar voices
    Art blog here.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Transformers Prime is on TV, like, RIGHT NOW.

Old enough to have played both XCom: Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep the first time around, and too old for Transformers; I'm just playing through the remake now for the first time and am pretty pleased with it. There are things you can criticize but when there's so much to like (and you're not a professional game reviewer), why bother? In many ways its a perfect update to a classic series and I'm enjoying it all over again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, very little is broken or annoying IMO. There are a few little bugs, but nothing game breaking yet.
    It's not a perfect imitation of the original, but it's close enough.

At least the combat's much better I would say.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's faster. I'm not sure if "better" is the word, it's different for sure. Playing a bit of UFO:AI (the free community made game) in the past and UFO-EU (the AAA remake :D), they both have their strengths. TUs, backpacks and line of sight give one dynamic, where as area of sight, move tokens and item slots give another. I do miss the alien attacking the bases though (unless it is in the new game and I have not met it yet).

It's not there, sadly :( which is a shame coz that's a huge waste of potential. All those soldiers you hired trying to protect the staff and the base from an invading force a la Terror mission. It could play just like one but they decided to throw that away for some reason

As for the combat, the reason why I said it was better is because it has the action cam. Seriously, though. I say the combat was better than the original because not only it's faster, it wasn't needlessly complex either. The original had you spending points just to turn around or crouch, which was incredibly annoying because, you know the enemy is right behind Meatbag#12326 and when you turn around a bit, *POINTS RESERVED FOR SNAP SHOT*. Your soldiers have a wider line of sight in this newer game and cover's more essential. And most of your soldiers are formidable enough to shoot straight even if they are rookies. Well, on Normal at least. There's also the class system but that's a bit more subjective as it sacrifices the versatility of soldiers in the original.
    Last edited by Voon; 09-05-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the old game was about punishing you for every action. As said, it's not worse, it's just a different type of game. More a sim, than an action game. But the latest one balances it nicely IMO, where as the older one was almost 100% sim. You also have to remember, they had less to go by back then. As stats were the main thing the game was crunching, adding stats to little details like turning and picking up items actually added gameplay where normally you'd be stuck with just a copy of chess/chequers.

I missed the originals back in their day (which seems to be punishable by exile 'round here) so I can't compare, but the really impressive thing about EU is how it makes turn-based combat feel like it isn't turn-based. The animation, camera, and mechanics all work together pretty seamlessly that way.

I really like the class system, even if the random-selection-at-promotion is irritating. It essentially makes the squad a single (but versatile and adaptable) machine, requiring you to know how different abilities allow a different rhythm for each different situation. Assault Flush -> Heavy Holo-Target -> Sniper Double Tap Headshot all feels like one single motion when you nail it right. It also helps get the player really attached to squad members, which is something I didn't expect. Losing my badass Assault Captain to an ambush was devastating.

My only complaints so far are a surprising lack of variety in missions and abilities as you enter the midgame, and how some of the weird calculations on hit percentages don't match up with what they're showing you. 40% to hit a berserker who is literally around the corner? Um...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've encountered a couple of game freezing/bugging out bugs. And one enemy stuck in limbo/the roof/under the map. Strangely, they never saw it fit to fix these bugs? Was this game not popular enough? Gah.