Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    What about story,is it going to be any good,never played original ones so i'm not familiar with the stories in those games.
    Aliens attack so you have to kill them all or die trying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I can't wait any longer, can you guys help freeze me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Aliens attack so you have to kill them all or die trying.

Wow,that sounds interesting.

I have a question for all you old X-Com fans. When I shoot a UFO down, should I be able to send troops there in the skyranger? I've done it a few times now, and I've sent skyrangers to the place where it was shot, but I couldn't see any way to land at the crash site.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    I have a question for all you old X-Com fans. When I shoot a UFO down, should I be able to send troops there in the skyranger? I've done it a few times now, and I've sent skyrangers to the place where it was shot, but I couldn't see any way to land at the crash site.
    I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but you most certainly should. If the UFO crashes on land there shoud be an icon there, and you send the skyranger there, and then you have to eliminate all the aliens at the site. Are you sure you've put troops in the skyranger? In the base view you click somewhere to equip the skyranger and choose which soldiers are in.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but you most certainly should. If the UFO crashes on land there shoud be an icon there, and you send the skyranger there, and then you have to eliminate all the aliens at the site. Are you sure you've put troops in the skyranger? In the base view you click somewhere to equip the skyranger and choose which soldiers are in.
    Yup, there were troops in the skyranger - it worked when I went for a terror mission. There's no icon I can see. I'm certain I shot it down and saw the "UFO CRASHED" text. Are UFO's sometimes destroyed instantly on crash? Maybe it's a bug.

I eventually managed to get to ground combat by shadowing a ufo in the skylander until it landed on its own. Three times now, and all of my rookies have died on every mission.

The only case I remember you couldn't land at a crash site was when the ufo crashed on water.

Small UFO's are destroyed completely sometims.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    They also only last about a day or two. There is the possibility of destroying the UFO completely in the air too (using avalanche missiles against the smallest ship will do it).

I might have been doing that. I've been using "Aggressive attack", if that makes any difference.

Is there any way to view your soldiers stats at the times when you have to assign them to a lander or choose what weapon they're using? I can never remember what any of my guys do. I suppose I could name them things like "20 Strength Jones".

Is there any way to view your soldiers stats at the times when you have to assign them to a lander or choose what weapon they're using? I can never remember what any of my guys do. I suppose I could name them things like "20 Strength Jones".
    Id just give them role names, like Gunner, or Hvy, or Sniper (SNP); stuff like that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Small UFO's are destroyed completely sometims.
    But then it should say UFO destroyed.

Network Hub
    If you haven't already you should definitely use Ufo extender. It makes a lot of things easier, including showing soldier stats before battle. I don't think I can play without auto-sell anymore for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    6Gb big demo is up for download,anyone already tried the game ?? If not what are you waiting for!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Steam isn't pulling that demo very quickly. At least six hours to go! :/
    Oh well, quite a surprise to even be downloading the demo right now.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    6Gb big demo is up for download,anyone already tried the game ?? If not what are you waiting for!!
    Its very short, and it is pretty much entirely scripted. It takes maybe 20-30 minutes to complete, maybe half of that is actual gameplay. If your download speed isn't very good, I would say pass, it contains nothing you haven't seen already.

Yeah the demo didn't show much at all, just a very low level tutorial. The interface is cleary not as PC'ised as they promised because it behaved exactly like it was designed for the controller. Sure, you can acomplish everything with the mouse, but not as quickly or smoothly.

I'm a bit dissapointed after the demo, I hope the full game will be better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Not worth the download really, took longer to dl than to complete. It's certainly promising on a basic level, but many of the factors that make x-com compelling are understandably absent (research and building up a team over time etc).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Can I even rotate the camera?

I just played it and it is more of an appetizer than a demo, it also risks alienating the old school fans.
    Mostly because the first 'mission' is a fully scripted tutorial that explains the controlls, which is not inherently bad but is extremely handholdy and will potentially displease more expirienced players.

The controlls are strange and while functional nothing does what at least I would have expected it to do. The mouse-wheel does not zoom but instead elevates the view by a level. Mostly they are strange though and not really bad. It takes a while to get used to it and only then will it be possible to say whether they are not very good or simply a bit strange.

There is a lot of drama and story going on pulling the player into the story (and potentially anoying again those who want to see the tactical combat). Only during the second mission after a bit more tutorializing is the player free to do what he or she wants. At that point the game starts to shine slowly.
    It would be easy to be distracted by the modern looks and the animations and different camara angles, but this is at its very core still a very X-Com game. The aliens do a lot of damage but not as much as I would have expected (I suspect that this is not Classic difficulty) and because nearing the end of the mission I got very slightly impatient I almost had half of my team killed.

It looks like it's got all the basics pretty much down. Sadly the demo is to short to give a proper overview especially seeing as it it is not even the full tutorial. There seem to be some problems with the software and not all the options are implemented yet. (There is no possibility to choose a dificulty level for example).

This is a remix of X-Com, but a bloody good one that seems, as far as I can tell, to understand what made the original game great. Sadly in the demo there are just hints on how the tactical depth will pan out in the final game.

So if you are likely to be distracted by the minor annyoances of the new version and the pecularities of the very short demo I'd wait for the full game to be released and listen to the other fans. If you are not fussed about the games new modernist rainments go ahead and imerse your self in the atmosphere.

And I do love the music.