Mission Making Collabatory: Not a Campaign

The latest build of F2 allows us to quickly deploy new missions. To stimulate the creation of new and exciting adventures, I propose the following:

• We cut up a map of Takistan and create a series of missions in different locations,
    • This will be a semi-collaborative effort using different authors
    • As coming up with a good concept is hard (see all the convoy ambush variants), we create a list of theme ideas (capture artillery guns, clear road for mechanised column, etc)
    • Each mission has a clear outcome: destroy the tanks, or not. Capture a Hind, or not.
    • We tie the missions together into a not-campaign. There's no specific order of missions, no real continuity and no hard work.
    • We play the produced missions at a rate of 1/week on Tactical Tuesdays. The outcomes of the missions STAND for the purpose of the not-campaign. Replays and use on other days do not count!
    • The final mission in the not-campaign uses a series of parameters which are toggled based upon performance in earlier missions, allowing for toys to be earned for a final session and giving us a sense of urgency and achievement during the coming weeks

I've taken the liberty of very quickly preparing the following map, stub (for which I took F2 2-5-0, removed the other factions and added a couple of example enemy patrols) and ideas:

(the thick black lines are apparently oil or power lines, they're certainly not roads)

To keep the missions semi-cohesive:

• We would be playing as TK_GUE with STANDARD F2 2-5-0 loadouts (or worse, I guess). Sideswaps would be cool for denying progress in the not-campaign but should not be de-rigueur. Communicate with your fellow authors!
    • Thematically, we'll go with (Wolfenswan's?) 1980's Russian Invasion and Civil War mix. The Fighting Brigades are trying to free central Takistan and the crucial resources centred around Feruz Abad and Coltan Mine.
      • NOTE: DO NOT PUT FLUFF IN YOUR BRIEFINGS, just keep it in mind.

• Opfor would be TK_Army, TK_INS or RUS. Potentially UN.
    • No large/special scripts required (such as filters, revive, etc) so that the produce can also be used for Folk Sundays.

Making a mission is simple if you donít overreach yourself. Download the stub. Load it up, per the instructions on the F2 website and start placing some groups of enemies.

As a rule of thumb a typical mission needs 80-150 enemies. The magic ratio is usually (PLAYERSx4) and we get a count of 20-25 these days. A typical objective is defended by a squad of 6-10 men, heavily defended ones 2-3x this value, and the rest of the units should be on patrol. Non-infantry assets should be used sparingly; unless it is important to the mission, the upper limit should be 2-5 IFVs and about dozen technicals or static emplacements; more powerful units (such as automatic grenade launchers, actual tanks, etc) should count as double or better. Transport vehicles donít count, so go hog wild with the motorised units if you think theyíll actually dismount instead of brewing up because the players made a lucky shot. If you elect to not delete the air support or tank assets in the default platoon then please include appropriate opposition.

An immersive trick is to place several movement waypoints in a loop, then a cycle waypoint near the start. Put a Search and Destroy waypoint near wherever you expect players to be (like a base that they must attack). Create a trigger which fires 30-180 seconds after the player side is detected, simulating the "base" calling for help. The trigger should be of type SWITCH (not END, LOSE, etc). Synchronise the trigger with the cycle waypoint and the patrolling unit will keep patrolling until the trigger is fired, at which point it will attempt to complete the S&D wp!

The stub contains a couple of examples of enemy units a) following a waypoint patrol with triggered recalls b) following a completely random bis_fnc_TaskPatrol patrol and c) defending a location (including manning of empty static weapons) using bis_fncTaskDefend.

If you can't figure out how to create an end trigger, etc, then ask in this thread or leave them out and make commanders call it.

CURRENT VOLUNTEERS:

• Harakka has expressed an interest in the road through Shamali (North West)
    • Sulphur has expressed an interest in Hearts and Minds op near Mulladost (West)
    • Nullkigan has expressed an interest in the Armouries near Garmsar (East) and will help with the final mission

If you have no strong preference, your name will be added to a hat for random picks. I'd originally wanted to do it entirely randomly, but it's now a case of whatever stimulates your creative energies. We can worry about anything heavier at a later date assuming this NOT-a-campaign is successful.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Network Hub
    Yeah can do a sector.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I haven't got a clue how to make missions and tbh neither the time for it, so I am grateful for others' efforts!
    Nevertheless I had an idea:
    After a goat beauty peagant, in which the goat from the village accross the valey won, our village council decided to reclaim the title by stealing and executing the goat in question. A fact that complicates the mission is that the owner of the goat also dishonoured the daughter of one of the people taking part in the raiding party, so there is a potential second execution there.

The aim is to go in the village with weapons hidden, steal/execute the goat, optionally execute its owner, and escape from the angry rival villagers back to the safety of our beautiful village. A USMC unit is patrolling the rival village, as they usually get their drugs from that place.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a script where if the raiding party bunches up (say in more than groups of three) the rival villagers get alerted, even without us drawing guns.

Feel free to ignore/modify the suggestion, and no I am not drunk!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Suggestion to have atleast one defend misison with the russians actually being sensible and instead of charging into our position, use mortars or a helicopter, and randomize this or don't tell anyone from beforehand. Thus leading to improvisation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I have an idea for any of the two airports. Basically a race against time to stop planes from taking off.

Furthermore an idea for a convoy mission (TWIST: we are the convoy, AI the attackers)

Also if wanted I can make up a comprehensive story for the 1980s background (timeline or whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I have an idea for any of the two airports. Basically a race against time to stop planes from taking off.

Furthermore an idea for a convoy mission (TWIST: we are the convoy, AI the attackers)

Also if wanted I can make up a comprehensive story for the 1980s background (timeline or whatever)
    Airport idea sounds good. I don't think we really need a comprehensive backstory though, this is just a pretext to give some direction and interest to mission makers.

I'm going to make the Mulladost 'help the locals' mission into a defensive one.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post

Another idea for airports: stealing Hueys for air transport in final mission. Going to have a go at that tomorrow as it doesn't seem like it should be too complicated for a first mission.

I'm interested in making a "Steal Technicals to reinforce our troops" mission in Zavarak.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Network Hub
    i'd gladely take on the airports or the secure pass.

Well, I just need to test Garmsar (CO72 Garbagemen) and we've got one mission done already.

• Harakka has expressed an interest in the road through Shamali (North West)
    • Sulphur has expressed an interest in Hearts and Minds op near Mulladost (West)
    • MrWeed has expressed an interest in Stealing Technicals in Zavarak (North East)
    • Wolfenswan has an idea for an airport mission
    • Head has an idea for an airport mission
    • Bodge has offered to do something
    • Fer might do something

And I know at least three or four people have been learning to use the editor over the past few days. So far a grand success, now to get some results out :D

Obscure Node
    Hi Guys.

I just knocked up a mission for Chaman.Using Helicopters,insert and kill three Russian Training officers.All Triggers and Mission endings seem to work.Max players 40.Not got time to test so can i Email or otherwise upload this to somebody to have a look at?
    Feel free to change anything thats wrong or needs tweaking/balancing.
    Havent checked briefings for spelling or grammar either!