• No, let's not use ACRE

4 22.22%
  • I can go either way

3 16.67%
  • No opinion/Not sure

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Invading 1944 - Mediterranean Weekend

UPDATE: DAY TWO (2nd mission) is scheduled for Saturday february 4th, 1930 GMT.

Gentlemen, thanks for last the event! It's now time for the second -working- installment of the three-part Mediterranean Weekend campaign on the evening xxx.
    The assigned roles can be found at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah_MFv8QZZNOdF9RU3JYcTk2czBSb0Vpd3JGZ0pqZ VE. If you're on this list and feel like you rather wouldn't be or if you aren't on this list and feel like joining up for a time travel shoot-out, please post here or contact me through PM or on Steam (washington in RPS Steam group).
    The time travelling module is Invasion 1944: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12465,
    the place is Isola di Capraļa: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12961.

Now, initially the idea as posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by washington
    So, after having played the Invasion 1944 mod with ARPS recently, I've decided to make a small campaign for it, to try out some new tactical goodness. It would be approx. 3 missions, one each - presumably - per
    -DAY TBA- over 3 weeks. Probably 1-2h playtime each, mostly dependent on in-game strategies and efficiency. There'll be sign-ups for playable roles (which are sticky'd for each player through-out) for continuity and tacticalness.. err. Yes.

It would be played on -MAP TBA-, on Veteran, with hierarchical command (Squad > Fireteam > Soldier) and using only direct communication VON. So, perhaps not for everyone. Number of roles depending on people willing.
    Direct comms VON hasen't worked satisfactory and mumble is always to the rescue. However, I'm very keen on using ACRE instead. Hold on, hang on! Yes, ACRE IS bound to be a hassle. The desired in-game direct communication effect I'm looking for, however, works beautifully with it. It would also make use of the RTO's as they'd be the only ones able to communicate with sister squads. But, is it worth it? Either we do this mandatory or not at all (Mumble groups instead). The installation alone is a multiple files/folders deal and requires TS3 (we'd be using a new private TS3 server). Using ACRE would mean that you (not RTO-you!) would only be able to communicate with people in your immediate vicinity, enforcing sticking togetherness, firefight pandemonium and a great [harder] experience. ACRE is at: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11339. Naturally I'll offer my non-expert services in helping with installation if needed. Afaik no other -working- option for direct communication exists, hence this.

BUT, I want to hear what you think. This is yet just an idea, nothing set in stone. There's even a poll(!).
    Last edited by washington; 01-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Let's use it.
    Can't hurt. People will just have to think ahead a bit and set it up properly before we start.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

I'm for it. It'd be fun to try out at least.

After trying it out with Wash I'm sold on it for a special event like this. The direct communication in Acre is like VON, but actually works!

Happy to use ACRE as long as people don't have issues with getting it working; I had some initial set up issues with it but when it works it does make for a much more immersive expereience.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As DOG 1, and someone who always has some kind of problem with VON, I could try this and see how it goes... Is it really that hard to set it up?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Hmm. I know last time around we had revive, but to me, being a medic whilst having revive on always felt that I had a bit of a redundant role, as medics were not really into the life saving business, but only to the apply bandage busininess.

If we are going to abandon revive, we need much better intel and planning, though.
    Although I think that no revive would be cool, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    IIrc you can set norrins to be revive-by-medic-only though I prefer the approach we have in Force Ten: everyone can revive but it's the medic's job to focus on it and the others to stay in the fight.

Mabye everyone can revive, but people will still be wounded afterwards? Along with stricter timelimts?

As probably already known by many, I am not a big fan of revive, but making it a more tense affair would certainly help. My problem is that Revive makes dying an annoyance instead of a definitive state, but mabye making it Left 4 Dead style affair (as in, very tense) could help.

Quote Originally Posted by kataras
    As DOG 1, and someone who always has some kind of problem with VON, I could try this and see how it goes... Is it really that hard to set it up?
    So far it seems to be. Though for some, after installing/sorting files and running it, it's a done deal. Hit me whenever you're online and if you want to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly
    Mabye everyone can revive, but people will still be wounded afterwards? Along with stricter timelimts?

As probably already known by many, I am not a big fan of revive, but making it a more tense affair would certainly help. My problem is that Revive makes dying an annoyance instead of a definitive state, but mabye making it Left 4 Dead style affair (as in, very tense) could help.

The plan was/is to have revive without respawn, no time-limit, the 20ish second revive animation and medic-only heals needed afterwards. Also prolonging the heal action is tempting. Although not as unforgiving as the permanent DED-state, it should force fireteams to maneuver into "covering mode" whilst the casualty is being treated and add complexity more than annoyance (hopefully). Granted, the fear of having to sit out for the rest of the mission isn't there, but making firefights more complicated for your teammates and the squad at large should dampen the urge to rambo.
    The alternative of giving only the medics the revive action is an option, but not that's too appealing to be honest. As these are planned as longer-than-average sessions, it'd be great if everyone had a chance to see it through whilst holding a rifle. Anywho, that's how I'm reasoning at the moment.
    Last edited by washington; 12-01-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by washington View Post
    So far it seems to be. Though for some, after installing/sorting files and running it, it's a done deal. Hit me whenever you're online and if you want to try it out.
    Thanks, I ll download it and see how it goes and if I need help I ll give you a shout.

I agree with your thoughts on revive. The times I played medic and when I was the sole person able to revive were fun for me, I don't know about the people waiting to be revived. I think generally though the aim should be for everyone to be able to continue playing even if something happens to them, and not spectate for the next 2 hours...

The plan was/is to have revive without respawn, no time-limit, the 20ish second revive animation and medic-only heals needed afterwards. Also prolonging the heal action is tempting. Although not as unforgiving as the permanent DED-state, it should force fireteams to maneuver into "covering mode" whilst the casualty is being treated and add complexity more than annoyance (hopefully). Granted, the fear of having to sit out for the rest of the mission isn't there, but making firefights more complicated for your teammates and the squad at large should dampen the urge to rambo.
    The alternative of giving only the medics the revive action is an option, but not that's too appealing to be honest. As these are planned as longer-than-average sessions, it'd be great if everyone had a chance to see it through whilst holding a rifle. Anywho, that's how I'm reasoning at the moment.
    Sounds good. I came up with an idea whilst I was supposed to listen to rambling about fossils: How about that one uses the standard BIS revive script, but ensure that nobody actually can die (so no progressing beyond 'mortally wounded')? Not that it makes all that much of a difference from the method described above, but I still wanted to put it out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    How about that one uses the standard BIS revive script, but ensure that nobody actually can die (so no progressing beyond 'mortally wounded')?
    Can't really see any difference between that and the current revive setup (barring the spectate-system); why do something like that?

Activated Node
    I think just using standard BiS revive would work fine, so long as you don't get too far from your squad you can normally be helped up unless you get into a serious firefight where you're too exposed to be revived or get hit by something heavy (tank shell, AA fire) and perma-die. In all honesty this seems fair enough.

Or maybe use standard revive system but ONLY allow revive (hence) no respawn and have a moderate timeout on it, say 1-2 minutes before perma-death?

Anyway, I'm there.

Can't really see any difference between that and the current revive setup (barring the spectate-system); why do something like that?
    Oh I don't know. Just posted it without thinking.

I do a lot of things without thinking.

So what's the status now?
    Are we using ACRE or that Mumble plugin head was working on or not?
    I'd like to set up things in advance, preferably until Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly
    Oh I don't know. Just posted it without thinking.
    Damn those fossils, they're messing with your mind man! :P

Quote Originally Posted by EBass
    Or maybe use standard revive system but ONLY allow revive (hence) no respawn and have a moderate timeout on it, say 1-2 minutes before perma-death?
    That is a good idea, makes it a lot more hectic. Although for this I'm not too hot on having perma-death enabled, so it'll be no time-limit revive (without respawn).

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed
    So what's the status now?
    Are we using ACRE or that Mumble plugin head was working on or not?
    I'd like to set up things in advance, preferably until Friday.
    Even though the poll results are a bit low compared to the player list, we're doing ACRE for this one. Unfortunately Head's plugin isn't completed, which is a real shame as it's a absolute beaut when it works. But, so, yeah. This will be a test for both for those who want to try it out in action and to decide if it's viable for the last session as well. ACRE will be mandatory so for those so-far two who voted no, I'm sorry :/ I really hope that you'll still join in .

As for the practical parts of getting ACRE running, I'll run a brief in-game introduction on thursday 1900 GMT, without I44 on the mods server if you haven't tested it out by then or just want to join in. In the meanwhile (although only RTO's will be using radios), please check out Head's excellent ACRE radio tutorial: Part 1, Part 2.

As for the playerlist, we were missing a lot of people last time and I have a feeling we'll be missing even more on caturday. Not yet sure if we just let the non-essential roles go first come first serve or if we do a new list. The second alternative would be a lot easier for planning and slotting but would require a new and complete headcount.
    Last edited by washington; 17-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Let's set up a new list to just get an overview on who will be joining for sure, and who most likely won't.
    That would be a nice opportunity to promote me to FTL *hint, hint*

Activated Node
    Prob won't make the 19th, got an essay due in on the 20th. Either way, can we have another slot added to the list so I can sign up? Maybe a second assistant MG?