Thread: Go

Lesser Hivemind Node

Go

Does anybody here play go? If so, I'm up the Dragon Go Sever and am always looking for new people to play :) The game's got a great ranking/handicap mechanic, so, assuming both players have a fair rank, the game should be roughly balanced.

I'm a so-so, player, somewhere between 18-20Kyu on DGS.

Anybody who's interested in learning, I recommend this site as a great introduction. And: an interesting comparison of go compared to chess.

Riadsala

The greatest board game, in my opinion, followed by Chess. So simple and elegant, the emergent complexity is mind-blowing and fascinating when playing a game. Unfortunately, like pretty much everyone, I'm absolutely terrible at it.

I've played before on KGS, but never really got anywhere. I just don't enjoy playing on the computer that much, nothing compares to playing on a real board. I own a reasonably nice goban with yunzi stones, and it's such a pleasure to play with on the rare occasion that I find an opponent.

Another recommendation for The Interactive Way to Go. Brilliant tutorial. And, although the book is not recommended for beginners to learn the game, Toshiro Kageyama's "Lessons in the fundamentals of Go" is absolutely wonderful to read.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, if you fancy a game, I'm "alasdair" on DGS... I prefer DGS to KGS as it's more like pbem... just log in now and then and take your moves. Rather than having to find a spare hour to sit and play virtual go.

And while it's not as good as playing with a physical board, it's good practise and improves your board reading.

I love Go and haven't played in a while.
    I think I will have a look at the DGS so far I have only dabled around on KGS.

If you want to practice a bit your go skills you might want to give Leela a chance.
    The light version is free and can play up to a 13x13 board. On the 9x9 board it reaches around 1 Dan making it a rather serious opponent and will help you to get rid of bad habits and improve your close combat abilities.
    Last edited by Sunjumper; 16-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.