Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Yahoo~~~ Happy Lunar New Year

Starting from 11pm Beijing time we will enter Dragon Year. Dragon represent the sovereign. Things usually are the most exciting in Dragon Year, joyfully exciting.

Interestingly the lunar calender we are using now were formulated by Western missionary in the court during the Ching dynasty, so strictly speaking it's a calender by westerners. Catholic Church knew that our emperors, throughout Ming to Ching dynasties, were all very very fond of western science, so most missionaries coming to Peking were mostly scientists.

But it's not from the west since it's made by the government office in Peking.

Wish you all:

Healthy Life, Happy Family, Progression in Career, Make Good Fortune, and of course, More Good Games.
    Last edited by squirrel; 22-01-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Apparently, it's a week holiday around here in Malaysia. Well, for schools and colleges here, anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Happy new year - year of the dragon indeed. Better learn dragon shouts now!
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Happy new year!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I was born in a dragon year. It's funny, because people tell me that those born in such a year are usually tactless and quick-tempered, and everyone says I'm an arsehole who flips his shit at the slightest provocation.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I was born in a dragon year. It's funny, because people tell me that those born in such a year are usually tactless and quick-tempered, and everyone says I'm an arsehole who flips his shit at the slightest provocation.
    Really? We generally believe that Dragon Year born people are more talented, would excel in their professions or even become leaders someday. And we predict that birth-rate would have a slight boost in this year because most parents prefer to give birth in Dragon Year.

There are twelve animals represented year in Chinese calender, with four best years. Dragon Year is the best one. I dont recall the second best one, and the third bests are Chicken Year and Monkey Year.

Edit: Oh, and according to tradition we would have to stay overnight awake, to guard against a monster call "Nan" (translated as "Year"). Last few years I took this as an excuse to play video game overnight, but this year I dont have any good game to play. I guess I would have to read overnight.
    Last edited by squirrel; 22-01-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Edit: Oh, and according to tradition we would have to stay overnight awake, to guard against a monster call "Nan" (translated as "Year"). Last few years I took this as an excuse to play video game overnight, but this year I dont have any good game to play. I guess I would have to read overnight.
    So is the day after a national holiday, or do you still have to work but everyone accepts that you'll all be tired?

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I was born in a Goat Year of 1991. I'm supposed to be a metal person: strong, determined, materialistic, courageous and have a good sense for bussines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Bang on the money. :D

I'm a pig, to nobody's great surprise.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm a dog, it would seem.

Woof woof.

Activated Node
    I'm a wooden dog, and the description is worryingly fitting.

Wood wood.

Banned
    Monkey.

Explains why I throw shit all the time.

Look at my avatar for what you should be seeing at the end of every post.

It's funny because it's not a pun.
    Last edited by R-F; 22-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.

1992 for me, which apparently was the Monkey. Unexciting, until you realise that 1992 was also INTERNATIONAL SPACE YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    So is the day after a national holiday, or do you still have to work but everyone accepts that you'll all be tired?
    This whole week will be our holiday. I know that Hong Kong would have three days holiday from Monday to Wednesday. I dont know about Taiwan but I guess they also would have more than a day of holiday.

And most shops would stop doing business today. A tradition. First day of New Year would be for resting. It's believed that business should be resumed on the fifth day of New Year. However, since second day is "Opening Year Day", when people would go visit each others, most shops these days would choose to reopen tomorrow. Today I would have to stay at home as there is no where to visit anyway. Cinema is probably the only business to be opened today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Explains why I can't get a hold of a seller on eBay then!

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I'm a rat. Which is likely why rogues and pirate types have always appealed, no doubt.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

I'm a dog!

Somehow explains why I tend to talk to people so, so loudly