Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

What can us international people really do about SOPA and PIPA?

So yesterday this question really got to me with the blackout. I can understand the protest and all that but because i live in the UK it was very annoying to me because i really cannot see how I can do anything about it because im not in the country to protest and send letters.

So really seeing all this and wanting to stop it what can us people do?

Copy your favourite websites and rehost them on .co.uk's. Or, if you've got the cash, bribe a US senator. ;)

Really there's nothing practical you can do outside of perpetuating the message in the hopes of getting to the odd US citizen that isn't already on board. But even then if you're too pushy with it you're probably risking some form of xenophobic backlash.

Oppose domestic complicity in furthering American hegemony.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    First thing first, this is legislation made by an elected legislation council. I wonder what Americans are thinking, passing such laws that seriously violate civil rights. If you dont treasure your civil right, dont regret in the future when your government / government-backed corporations abuse you.

I recently read a piece of interesting news that some German geeks launched their own satellite to the space in an attempt to build a network communication that is no longer depending on network infrastructure controlled by corporate and political powers. I dont have details on the exact operation but sounds like a light for breaking the monopoly of Internet control.

And what a foreigner can do...... Work hard to earn a US citizenship, then challenge it before the US Supreme Court that the bill is a direct violation of the US Constitution? But for the time being President Obama has the authority to veto the bill I think?
    Last edited by squirrel; 19-01-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Activated Node
    Fight ACTA, probably.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    But for the time being President Obama has the authority to veto the bill I think?
    And promised to do just that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Oppose domestic complicity in furthering American hegemony.
    See: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/megaupload-shut-down-by-feds-seven-charged-four-arrested.ars

The FBI worked with authorities from New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Canada, Germany, the UK and the Phillipines, and in concert with US Immigration and Customs Enforcement on the case.
    Demand transparency; demand sovereignty.
    Last edited by Rii; 19-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

I recently read a piece of interesting news that some German geeks launched their own satellite to the space in an attempt to build a network communication that is no longer depending on network infrastructure controlled by corporate and political powers. I dont have details on the exact operation but sounds like a light for breaking the monopoly of Internet control.
    Maybe one day... one glorious day.. http://www.pcworld.com/article/24714...ensorship.html