Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    UFC, I think. License was announced as being passed to EA earlier.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Pretty awful. Bury it on probably the busiest E3 day...or not, because the internet doesn't exactly have quiet days.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Yeah, it's fairly grim stuff indeed. Not that there's ever a good time to shutter a studio but trying to do it quietly when no-one's looking is pretty shitty behaviour.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Surely there's no fixed time for sales. If THQ is struggling now, why not have a sale now?
    In a timeframe of weeks, they could also make other kinds of moves to boost sales. For instance, patch out DRM and put some of their bestselling titles on GoG. I would certainly buy a bunch of games if they did this.
    ten dollars for each stalker would sell shitton on gog.

but i presume management is not actually aware of that kind of thing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

I'd personally like to see them put up Metro 2033, Dawn of War (+II) complete editions, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

Activated Node
    Know two people who worked there, and got laid off. Two weeks ago, they were saying 'our studio has the UFC license. We'll be fine!' Poor them :(

Luckily, THQ is trying to find a place for at least one of them in a different studio. And unlike 38 Studios/Big Huge Games, they are getting paid for this month, severance payment next month, and also getting paid for any vacation days they hadn't used. Don't know if he should stay on a ship though, which while perhaps not sinking, has at least sprung some major leaks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I'd personally like to see them put up Metro 2033, Dawn of War (+II) complete editions, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.
    Considering DoW2 relies on GfWL for its multiplayer (and Steamworks for Retribution), DRM free ones won't be possible unless they rewrite the multiplayer system, which I doubt will happen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wasn't UFC one of THQ's big hitters? I always thought it to be a very successful IP.

Even if it was, can't make UFC games without the license.
    Stealth Mode!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Wasn't UFC one of THQ's big hitters? I always thought it to be a very successful IP.
    yup, but they did not own the IP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Apparently since UFC did not break 2 milllion, it did not make any money.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17203...even_on_it.php

Hopefully with new management, they can survive.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17197..._president.php

Here hoping. =/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Apparently since UFC did not break 2 milllion, it did not make any money.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17203...even_on_it.php

Hopefully with new management, they can survive.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17197..._president.php

Here hoping. =/
    It's pretty crazy a yearly fighting game franchise with by no means worldwide appeal (as I understand it, UFC is mostly an American and British thing) needs more than 2 million copies sold to break even. It might work for FIFA and Madden - though I'm still not sure why - but sure doesn't work for something like Undisputed/UFC, and it's probably a good idea THQ got rid of the license.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Relic: "WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S FIST!"
    Would actually be a great fit, as long as Games Workshop could restrain themselves from micro-managing and give Relic a decent amount of creative freedom.

Network Hub
    http://gamestatics.com/platform/play...-copies-break/

Another nail in THQ's coffin, just waiting to be hammered

Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    http://gamestatics.com/platform/play...-copies-break/

Another nail in THQ's coffin, just waiting to be hammered
    Whoo boy. UFC is one thing, it's a fairly prominent sports game and whatnot, and if that can't break 2 million copies, then how on earth are they going to make South Park sell 2 million copies, knowing the reputation of previous South Park-games or hell, just TV show license games in general?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    how on earth are they going to make South Park sell 2 million copies, knowing the reputation of previous South Park-games or hell, just TV show license games in general?
    People said the same thing about Batman games though (previous Batman games are horrible, licensed games are garbage), and Rocksteady proved them all wrong not once but twice.

If this game has some great game mechanics and actually feels 100% like South Park (and isn't this the first game the creators themselves are working on?) then there is a slim chance they could hit 2 million.

But *everything* has to hit the right notes -- voice acting, story, gameplay, graphics; essentially, you have to create an almost perfect game. It *is* possible, but do I think Obsidian can do it? Despite loving their games, they are rough around the edges and they would have to bring their A game in a way they've never done before.

This thing will need to review in the 9s and 10s as well to really get people's attention.

Fair points. I have to admit, I love Obsidian very much, but the chances of them pulling a "perfect" game are next to nothing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post

That sort of thing is what retail companies do when they want to soften the blow of a shut-down, or please the last couple of customers they can. It makes even more sense in a digital world, where distribution is so much cheaper and you don't have a hard limit on what kinds of money you can bring in with crazy price cuts.

Anyone have a good explanation for why video game companies tend not to "liquidate" when they go under? Or is it just that they usually get bought out and/or go under during a development cycle?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Although 2 million copies seems like a daunting task, THQ believes that they will be able to sell well above that, they told Pachter.
    Pachter? As in... Pachter? Dafuq?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    (as I understand it, UFC is mostly an American and British thing)
    It's not, it's shown in over 130 countries and broadcast in 22 different languages, but I can't find info on viewer figures.

Very sad to hear about THQ, they had a lot of duds but quite a few of my favourites, too, like Metro 2033, the Red Faction series (2 was the only one I didn't like), STALKER SoC and Saints Row 3 was quite fun. Most of the rest of their stuff is TV/film tie-ins, sequels to someone else's IP or just crap, unfortunately. Their fighting games were good, though, I remember having a lot of fun with whichever UFC game they put out on PS3 (especially the bit where you have to iron your guy's face after a round) and WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 or something.