Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    How about we hold off with "I wish this and that bought that." 15 more day's and we'll be able to discuss how screwed these titles are.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    This thread is equal parts Chicken Little and pipe dreams.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whilst I like the idea of Sega buying something, they don't exactly have much money themselves. I'd say Relic would be a good fit for them, but I also imagine they'd be a better fit for EA. Relic, being majorly PC-orientated (Space Marine being their only cross-platform, I believe) can easily fit in with EA's push for a greater digital presence, can easily be made to fit Origin for digital distribution and EA do at least have a history of having PC-only or less common genres. Whilst people might bemoan it, EA would probably do Relic good. If we look past all the closures, obviously. They're also likely to shell out for the 40K license, which no doubt will be revoked when they change publishers.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It's possible, but it would strike fear into the hearts of every RTS fan if EA got a hold of another really good RTS dev and ran them into the ground like they did with Westwood.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Dark horse Interplay makes a surprise move and buys up your favorite property.

Network Hub
    Interplay... made me giggle anyway. Might as well hope for Microprose.

http://www.indiegogo.com/SaveInterplay

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Double Fine seems interested:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/11/386...q-games-assets

Alas it is probably for Double Fine games published by THQ. Console versions of Stacking and Costume Quest for instance.

11 days until auction day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yeah I can't see what other than their own work, Double Fine would be interested in. unless perhaps THQ have some IPs hidden under the rugs that we've long forgotten about.

Do THQ have any IPs that we've long forgotten about?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Not sure.

Also, does anyone know which, if any, GoG games are owned by THQ? The newer games should be (mostly) okay, but older titles might get pulled/renegotiated.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Not sure.

Also, does anyone know which, if any, GoG games are owned by THQ? The newer games should be (mostly) okay, but older titles might get pulled/renegotiated.
    I'm not aware of there being any, THQ is not signed with their service AFAIK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post

Destroy All Humans!, de Blob, mabye Full Spectrum Warrior

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I'm not aware of there being any, THQ is not signed with their service AFAIK.
    Yeah, I know they haven't officially signed for the games "they" made, but just curious if any of the random old games are actually owned by them (but marketed under the original devs/publishers for better sales).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, I know they haven't officially signed for the games "they" made, but just curious if any of the random old games are actually owned by them (but marketed under the original devs/publishers for better sales).
    The only ones I could think of that would be remotely affected are the Freespace games, since they were developed by Volition. However, they were developed before their acquisition and are published on GOG by Interplay, so they're probably safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Destroy All Humans!, de Blob, mabye Full Spectrum Warrior
    Didn't Full Spectrum Warrior go freeware a couple of years ago? I recall downloading it legally at some point and playing for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Didn't Full Spectrum Warrior go freeware a couple of years ago? I recall downloading it legally at some point and playing for a few hours.
    Was sponsored by the US Army. It was still part of the THQ pack years later and I got it on Steam, but now it looks like they removed it from the store.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Yeah I can't see what other than their own work, Double Fine would be interested in. unless perhaps THQ have some IPs hidden under the rugs that we've long forgotten about.

I'm pretty sure they already own the IPs for Stacking and Costume Quest. Hence the PC ports being done without THQ's involvement, and them not being part of any THQ Steam pack ever.

I could see Double Fine being interested in Destroy All Humans! and de Blob. Maybe Drawn to Life and Lock's Quest, too.

[edit] Some other forgotten IPs that THQ owns: Deadly Creatures, Sphinx, Juiced, MX vs ATV, The Outfit, Summoner, Tak(maybe? it was a game before it was a Nickelodeon show), Titan Quest. I think that's it.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 12-01-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Activated Node
    On one hand, I'd like to see the not get chopped up, as some dev won't be bought and they'll get wound down, but on the oth hand, considering thq basically screwed their investors, then tried to ram a 60 million dollar deal through over Xmas, when theyre worth probably double that split up, so they would get to run a new, debt free company, and just screw the creditors, and the investors particularly. I mean it wasn't above board in how they tried to do it in the slightest, the judge caught them out, and now the is done.

Bids and auction today, sale hearing tomorrow. We might have to wait until tomorrow to know who gets what.
    Meanwhile, a bunch of parties object to the auction. The most important for us:

- South Park Studios says they have the right to buy back the publishing rights for the RPG and that THQ owes them money anyway. THQ says no lol

- Games Workshop says Warhammer can't be part of the auction because they exclusively trusted THQ with it.

- Crytek has a similar objection regarding CE3 rights and says THQ owes them money. The Legalese is a bit confusing and the specific license agreements are censored in the court document but I think this is about Turtle Rock's shooter, not Homefront 2. Specifically, I think Crytek doesn't want the engine license to be automatically transfered to whoever ends up buying that game.

THQ's response to both objections and a bunch of others is here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's also worth noting that it's possible that Clearlake can maintain their ownership of THQ, but it's unlikely. They paid $60m to take it over as a whole. So long as the individual biddings add up to over that amount, say $60.5m (I believe minimum increment for the bidding is .5m a turn) then Clearlake will lose whole ownership of THQ. Considering the studios and IPs on sale, I cannot see them holding on it. Certainly be some interesting stuff to view this evening/tomorrow morning!
    Last edited by The JG Man; 22-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.