Moneys spent: -

$500k Homefront (Crytek)
    $26M for Relic (Sega)
    $2.5M for THQ Montreal (Ubisoft)
    $3.2M for South Park (Ubisoft)
    $11M for Evolve (Take-Two)
    $22.3M for Volition (Koch Media)
    $5.8M for Metro (Koch Media)

Really surprised neither EA, Activision or Bethesda seem to have been involved

Who the hell was SEGA biding against?
    Why was the Montreal studio sold for only 2.5 million?!

Note from management:

To All THQ Employees:
    We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction that occurred :

Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business, along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets. During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority of the company.

Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must concur with our assessment.

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :

• Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    • Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    • Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    • Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
    • Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

We expect these sales to close this week.

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

What this means for employees

We expect that most employees of the entities included in the sale will be offered employment by the new owners. However, we cannot say what these owners may intend, and there will likely be some positions that will not be needed under the new ownership. You should receive notice this week or early next week if the new owners intend to extend employment to you. Please note that the terms of your new employment, including pay and benefits, may be different from the current terms of your employment with THQ.

If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that your position will end. A small number of our headquarters staff will continue to be employed by THQ beyond January 25 to assist with the transition. THQ has sufficient resources to pay these employees for work going forward, and we will be contacting these employees immediately to ensure their continued employment during this transition period. We are requesting the ability to offer certain severance pay to minimize disruption for employees of non-included entities as they determine the next steps in their careers.

We know you will have many questions about this news. We'll be meeting tomorrow when we return to talk through this announcement and to answer any questions you have. You will receive a benefits fact sheet and FAQs with answers to some questions that may be on your mind. Please review these materials closely.

A personal note

The work that you all have done as part of the THQ family is imaginative, creative, artistic and highly valued by our loyal gamers. We are proud of what we have accomplished despite today's outcome.

It has been our privilege to work alongside the entire THQ team. While the company will cease to exist, we are heartened that the majority of our studios and games will continue under new ownership. We were hoping that the entire company would remain intact, but we expect to hear good news from each of the separate entities that will be operating as part of new organizations.

For those THQ employees who are part of entities that are not included in the sale, we are confident that the talent you have displayed as part of THQ will be recognized as you take the next steps in your career.

Thank you all for your dedication and for sharing your talent with the THQ team. We wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Brian Farrell Chief Executive Officer
    Jason Rubin President
    Last edited by Kodeen; 23-01-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I imagine a lot of groups wanted Relic. Even Space Marine which was "meh" was pretty warmly received and was only bashed for being repetitive, not for being bad. And pretty much any RTS with Relic's name on it will sell a lot, so the less scrupilous groups might want to run it into the ground for a quick buck.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post

Do keep in mind, SEGA also bought CoH and CoH2 is nearing release, so they bought a studio, an IP and an already developed game in which THQ probably spent a lot of money, but SEGA will get to release at a ridiculously low cost (aside from the auction money).

Edit: SEGA was bidding against Zenimax. So basically, against Bethesda.
    From Kotaku:

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes
    Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
    Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.
    Last edited by Rauten; 23-01-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Network Hub
    THQ Montreal was so cheap because they've only produced one game: the WiiU port of Darksiders II. As far as I know they didn't even have a pre-alpha gameplay demo of 1666. Other than that, they were THQ's least competent (and as of this past December, only) QA facility.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    List of runner-ups according to Kotaku:

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes
    Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
    Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
    Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
    Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row
    Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
    Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.
    Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.
    No runner-up.

Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
    Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
    Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306
    No runner-up.

Looks like some bullets were dodged but I don't really understand the Evolve and Volition amounts, there's a huge gap between the runner-up and the winner.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm still curious about what happened with all the other owned IPs that weren't in development. Were Red Faction and Summoner bundled with Volition and Saints Row? Does Homeworld stay with Relic? Or do those all end up in creditor limbo like System Shock?
    I think that mostly depends on who owned what. I imagine Volition have Ref Faction and Saints Row, but I'm not sure if Relic got back the rights to Homeworld or if they belonged to THQ. It's very likely the franchise is now dead, unless it's sold later on in the remaining THQ assets, if they do indeed have them.

As an aside, a friendly reminder: If you have any keys for THQ games that you've not currently applied to [enter service/Steam here], you might want to add them before any complication arises.

EDIT: Wow, Relic's went up pretty damn high. What does this mean for Turtle Rock then? Are they independent? Surely a studio that was being sold off wouldn't be able to bid on something while it in turn was being sold??

Award for "Must Buy Everything" goes to Ubisoft though! Clearly they were a saving grace in a couple of instances.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 23-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.