Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    damn. sad to see a company go. we lose players big time. who will stop EA and Activision from dividing the market in half between each other?
    Ubisoft, 2K, Deep Silver, Microsoft Game Studios, Sony, Valve, Paradox, Kalypso...

What is this! Dammit, just posted in the games you always come back to thread about Dawn of War and how I am looking forward to a third instalment and then this news :(

Lets hope Relic do get picked up by GW or some other company and can continue making 40k games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    At least it's P2P and the game is in a pretty good state, so it should be able to run for a pretty long time. I go back to DOW2 every so often as well, it's one of those games great for a lull period in new material.

Considering how long this rumour has been prominent for, I'm surprised no-one high up at THQ has issued something saying the rumour is incorrect. Even if it is Sunday, or more because it is Sunday and by saying something, it could stop a massive market crash tomorrow morning.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Now that could be interesting. GW's very own digital arm.
    I'd love to see some more interesting things done with GW properties. What Relic's been churning out lately has been steadily deteriorating IMO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Ubisoft, 2K, Deep Silver, Microsoft Game Studios, Sony, Valve, Paradox, Kalypso...
    Deep Silver? Kalypso???
    Sony releases games? Lol. I did not know that.
    Valve is small company (in terms of game releases per year even if they are big hitters)
    Paradox is niche
    so ubi, 2k, Microsoft and apparently Sony. Ubi is not in a great position either so it will be another one who gets off (probably)
    so even less market diversification.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'd love to see some more interesting things done with GW properties. What Relic's been churning out lately has been steadily deteriorating IMO.
    DoW2: Not Bad, shitty DRM solution
    CR: Not played; seemed a little thin for a near full-price expansion, shitty DRM solution
    Retri: DLC up the wazoo, almost tripling the price of the game if bought separately, eh campaign, slightly better DRM.
    Space Marine: Campaign difficulty curve? What's that? No, we don't know what one is. Sorry. More DLC. Crap music cues.

Relic are now the BLAAD RAYVANS.

Deep Silver? Kalypso???
    Learn your European Publishers. Kalypso are responsible for franchises like Tropico and Patrician (the latter being quite big in Germany). Whilst you won't see them doing exceedingly well in the US bar a few titles like Risen (the sequel of which is out this year, I believe, from Deep Silver), in the EU they're bigger names with some well-known titles bearing their logos.

Sony releases games? Lol. I did not know that.
    Who the frak do you think published Uncharted, Killzone et al? And who has one of the longest running MMOs? Sony, mayhaps?

Valve is small company (in terms of game releases per year even if they are big hitters)
    Hardly.

Paradox is niche
    Maybe in the grand scheme of things, not on the PC. They're going from strength to strength, and with Crusader Kings II and King Arthur II this year, not to mention other titles and more support/content for SotS II (I believe), chances are they're going to gain even more of the market.

Ubi is not in a great position either so it will be another one who gets off (probably)
    Um... what? Rayman franchise is still going strong, Anno 2070 has been doing well despite the naff DRM, there's also the well-to-do Assassin's Creed franchise, and 2012 is bringing even more franchises back into the mix (Brothers in Arms 4, Far Cry 3, a new Splinter Cell plus two or so more Tom Cuhlancey games). Either way, they've been doing better than most other publishers, so don't count them out.
    Last edited by Althea; 15-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Ubi is not in a great position either so it will be another one who gets off (probably) so even less market diversification.
    Ubisoft had the highest software sales of any publisher in 2011, according to NPD. Please stop making wild, unsubstantiated claims; it's annoying.

I was really hoping for another Darksiders, but I'll readily admit that THQ has probably been the developer I'm willing to wait the longest for deep discounts for. I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 on a THQ game, so I guess I'm just part of the problem. Looking back on Midway's closure, I doubt that their big-name titles will just be left to rot.
    Last edited by sabrage; 15-01-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    @Althea

I'm not going to get into a quote war (I don't do that shit). But as far as players go, Activision and EA are the biggies principally because they actually have money to spend, with maybe Zenimax a distant third. Sony's game division is pretty much built around supporting their own hardware. There's little incentive for them to outlay for developers who atypically work on titles for other platforms, because the audience for those titles tends to lie outside of their PS3 user base (releasing Saints Row 4 exclusively on PS3 wins no one any favours). Valve are a developer, not a publisher (and have shown little inclination to become one despite the success of steam). Also I'd go with Lukasz assessment of Paradox. I like me some M&B Warband as much as the next man, but they are a very small operationn that work within certain limitations catering to a particular end of the market. They've been very successful at it, but they're not in a position to bankroll any of THQs AAA studios through an 18 month cycle plus manage distribution and marketing without enormous financial risk of their own.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 15-01-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Just like to address two things you say Kadayi:
    1. Whilst Valve aren't a publisher, they have gone on the record as saying they could cease development operations and still be in profit with Steam. In addition, they have consumed development studios before; granted, they're not exactly large ones when they do, but they could definitely handle extra talent if they saw it fit. Whilst it is unlikely, I wouldn't say put Valve out of the running entirely for getting a group such as Relic.

2. THQ did not produce AAA games :P For me, THQ were the 4 star company...but that was fine and definitely needed. You don't have the money to keep buying (or even producing) AAA titles and below A you just have smaller things that might not essentially quench your thirst. Where THQ were positioned meant they were able to appeal to niches and in general (with regards to potential interest), but I'm willing to bet their general titles were the ones that failed them the most.