Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    Did Space Marine make a profit? I loved the game, but it seemed to be dead on arrival in the marketplace, and I wonder if that has something to do with the new doubts regarding the Warhammer 40k MMO.
    No, it's probably more to do with the game being a bit load of eh.

For a studio's first non-strategy game, it's stunning, but it dragged on too damn long and was too damn boring.

Network Hub
    The game was locked out of Steam in the UK (GW's home freaking market), the preorder bonuses were stupid, and the PC version is peer-to-peer multiplayer because Relic/THQ refused to provide dedicated servers, which kills pretty much every game with ridiculous amounts of lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    The game was locked out of Steam in the UK (GW's home freaking market)
    Notice how the only games - bar one or two - which had Steam problems in the UK were THQ ones?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Notice how the only games - bar one or two - which had Steam problems in the UK were THQ ones?
    Yeah, I noticed that. Even mentioned it to one of the THQ PR spods at MCM expo in the Saint's Row 3 booth, and his response was a nervous laugh and something about backroom lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    and his response was a nervous laugh and something about backroom lawyers.
    Only non-THQ game I can think of was... um... Brink? Retribution released OK though, right?

Argh. Well, bloody THQ, anyway. I think it's bad for the staff and the devs, but THQ have not made it easy for themselves.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Only non-THQ game I can think of was... um... Brink? Retribution released OK though, right?

Retribution was fine, bar a release-day cockup for Europe where Scandinavians could play the game for 8 hours before THQ decided it shouldn't be out yet and flipped the switch again. I think it only slipped through because it was pushed as an expansion pack instead of a new game.

Edit: Oh, and the time where 'everyone who ordered the Collector's Edition will get the Dark Angels DLC for free' turned into 'everyone who ordered the CE direct from THQ will get the DLC for free' and the entire fanbase exploded. I don't know if it was Relic or THQ that cocked that one up, but it was an enormous PR failure.

The only other non-THQ game I can think of with UK-based Steam shenanigans was Arkham City, where it was available, then unavailable, then the UK had it's own edition, then preorders disappeared from game libraries altogether and argh.
    Last edited by Icarus; 04-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Well, this was unexpected:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 29, 2012-- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced that it has refocused Warhammer® 40,000®: Dark Millennium™ from a Massively Multiplayer Online game to an immersive single player and online multiplayer experience with robust digital content, and engaging community features. Further product details, platforms and release timing will be announced at a later date.

----

As a result of this change, team sizes at two THQ internal studios will be reduced by 79 full-time employees at Vigil Games in Austin, Texas, and 39 employees at Relic Entertainment in Vancouver, B.C.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    @SirKicksalot:

WHOA. That...sounds much better than an MMO, frankly. Perhaps something like the Elder Scrolls, but in the WH40K setting? With a full--but separate--multiplayer mode?

I will not get my hopes up about this I will not get my hopes up about this

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I wonder how significant that employee count is on the original teams. I'm guessing they were there for the infrastructure of an MMO and now that it won't be one, they're obviously off. That may not damage the core teams...that being said, that's obviously bad news.

Interesting what direction the game has gone in now. It's obviously a result of the shift in the MMO market towards F2P and if it's supportable or not, whilst a one-off audience for a retail product is likely a stronger gambit. Hell, I know I'm more interested now.

And then THQ and Vigil/Relic. Well, this may prove to be a smart decision, but I can't imagine it'll be doing much to allay the fears of THQ's situation. Curious to see what this will do to stocks/shares.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How dare they touch Relic?!

It's perhaps one of their few consistently excellent studios.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Let's hope they cut marketing / admin and not talent.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Let's hope they cut marketing / admin and not talent.
    Bahahahahaha. Cut admin?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I wonder how significant that employee count is on the original teams. I'm guessing they were there for the infrastructure of an MMO and now that it won't be one, they're obviously off. That may not damage the core teams...that being said, that's obviously bad news.
    Vigil was a 190 people team, Relic 150.
    Someone who's not working right now should start a LinkedIn hunt and see the damage unfolding in real time.

How low do share prices have to go before they're removed from the Stock Exchange? Because when that happens they're fucked.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Vigil was a 190 people team, Relic 150.
    According to viewing NeoGAF and info taken from LinkedIn, 193 and 154 respectively. That takes it down to 114 and 115 respectively. That's a significant cut. It's worth noting though that Vigil was originally set-up to produce DMO, so it's no surprise they took the hardest hit. I would be incredibly surprised if this affects the core Darksiders 2 team, especially so close to release (although expect more afterwards?) whilst Relic, obviously THQ's resident Games Workshop buddies, likely had a team dedicated to assisting Vigil; the Space Marine engine is one created by Vigil (same one as Darksiders) which may have been used for DMO.

Whatever, it's bad.

And mentor07825, not for some time. THQ aren't in GAME's scenario quite yet, but they're a lot worse off than they ever have been.