Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Warhammer mmo dead? ah well too good to be true anyways,

So much for joining godfather nurgles army..

Oh god no, not Relic!

At least bring out another expansion for Dawn of War 2 please guys. Its been nearly 6(!) years since I've bought a game where I can fight for the Greater Good!
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Obscure Node
    Not directly related to THQ, but you were talking about games with problems on Steam (Brink and Skyrim mysteriously disappeared from pre-order), and I caught an interesting tweet John Carmack made a few days ago.

Region locking on Steam is either because of a deal with a local retailer, or the market is too small to deal with tax collection. We have the same tax issues on the App store – many companies just don’t collect the tax, but Zenimax is scrupulous about it.
    We've all suspected it, but it's nice to see an industry bod admit the back-room deals are going on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Well I can't imagine the Uk is too small to deal with tax collection...
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Collect the tax? I'm not sure what he means by that.

Obscure Node
    The costs of processing sales tax (registration, accounting etc) - if the market is too small, it'd negate the profit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    'THQ won't be around in six months,' says Take-Two CEO Zelnick

And then proceeds to explain what they did wrong.

Obscure Node
    I wonder if this is good news or bad news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Down but not out, is the name of the game.

They've cut expected loses down and if upcoming releases sell to expectation, THQ can start recovering somewhat. Their first game out in the financial year is Darksiders 2, which has just been postponed to release in August from it's late June release date. A damn shame, but they cite polish as a reason, so I'm cool with that.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Down but not out, is the name of the game.

They've cut expected loses down and if upcoming releases sell to expectation, THQ can start recovering somewhat. Their first game out in the financial year is Darksiders 2, which has just been postponed to release in August from it's late June release date. A damn shame, but they cite polish as a reason, so I'm cool with that.
    I'll be getting a preowned console copy of Darksiders 2 off of amazon.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    I'll be getting a preowned console copy of Darksiders 2 off of amazon.
    Way to kick them while they're down. But I guess I'm no better. I usually wait until their titles go deep discount on Steam before I buy them.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Way to kick them while they're down. But I guess I'm no better. I usually wait until their titles go deep discount on Steam before I buy them.
    I do that too! Don't worry about it though. They'll make it back on dlc. Besides, I've read that Steam sales are pretty good for developers too - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...e-need-no-one/

From that article:
    "Ben Kuchera wrote this week at Penny Arcade about how Steam, the digital game shop for PCs, is fundamentally transforming the way developers think about buying and selling games. “If you launch a game at $20, and the price goes down to $5,” he writes, “you need to sell four times as many games to make the same money, right? Surprisingly, developers see sales an order of magnitude higher than they expected after severely cutting the price of the game after launch. They don’t just sell four times as many games, they may sell 20 times as many, or more.”"

Steam sales are usually at least a few months after release. Will THQ be around long enough to benefit from them?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Steam sales are usually at least a few months after release. Will THQ be around long enough to benefit from them?

They would still get the money from any sales of existing or soon to be released products. What happens with the money after that depends on any number of factors such as if they are in debt and how they proceed with shutting down the company. It's not as if Valve would get to keep the money it makes from selling their games... lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    It's not as if Valve would get to keep the money it makes from selling their games... lmao.
    That's not what I meant. If THQ ends up going into administration before any big sales take place, their portion of the profits isn't going to go the bottom line, it would likely go towards debt holders.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    That's not what I meant. If THQ ends up going into administration before any big sales take place, their portion of the profits isn't going to go the bottom line, it would likely go towards debt holders.
    It will either way, unless you think a Steam sale will somehow miraculously save the company.

I mentioned Steam sales because of Heister's comment. THQ is likely to remain alive and independent at least till August, so purchases at that time help the company. However, as Heister pointed out, people often wait for sales, and I was stating that those sales might be too late to do THQ any real good.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...ales-estimates
    Maybe Steam helped a little bit.
    I hope 2033:LL is safe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The Warhammer MMO isn't dead though, it's going to be a singple-player game with a co-op feature which is great.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Might help to compare the announcement of that with the majority of dates in this topic.