Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    As long as Voliton and relic are okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Relic received some cut-backs, but probably in relation to the team supporting Dark Millennium. It wasn't a small cut though, so who knows. If I remember accurately, Volition were left untouched.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It seems Relic have stopped patching/supporting Dawn of War 2. Understandable given the circumstances, but kind of a shame. The multiplayer is pretty close to having a decent balance, but the last couple of patches introduced a couple of bugs and things that obviously need trimming, which will now never happen.

Network Hub
    Pretty huge shakeup today. Bilson was pretty much the architect of THQ's Core Games Strategy over the past couple of years, overseeing some pretty high profile failures (Homefront, Red Faction: Armageddon, and Space Marine. And if rumours are to be believed the failure of those games was largely down to his creative interference), but also one or two huge successes (Saints Row the Third, and the first UFC game). He was probably also largely the one pushing the 'more DLC, more often, for more money' model, which, while obscenely profitable, probably wasn't going to be sustainable at that level for very much longer. Dave Davis was Bilson's right hand man.

I'll be very interested to see what changes Rubin is able to make to THQ.

I'd think that Space Marine at least returned what was invested to it. RF:A and Homefront though, those are probably the worst failures of the years they were launched.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Maybe THQ can improve, then.

That DLC model took the piss on a horrific level. Saints Row the Third has something like £35 worth of DLC if bought separately, but it goes down to a (slightly) more reasonable £25-30(ish) if you buy the collected packs. DoW2:R was a joke in that department, too. Most of it was pointless or gave you a little boost, and perhaps that makes it even worse.

I reckon SR3 was only successful because of its marketing and it's really the only rival GTA IV has had. I've certainly enjoyed what I've played, and I've put something like 20hrs into it already, but there is a *lot* that needed doing to it. Space Marine was kinda the same - it was good, but needed a *lot* of additional work, not to mention how bloated it is (2 DVDs, numerous GBs of patches).

Network Hub
    Space Marine is a weird one. At the end of the quarter of its releas THQ touted that it was doing better than expected with 1.2 million units shipped across all three platforms, but every quarter since then they've said it was a disappointment.

And those numerous gigs of patches were primarily about adding a bunch of free content. 3 new multiplayer game modes for free is nothing to sneeze at. If the rest of THQ's DLC was built on that model (one big free thing that everybody gets launching alongside the paid stuff), I don't think nearly as many people would be complaining about it.

I would, obviously ;)

My point was more that the game has a massive install size (as does Portal 2, for that matter) for little obvious reason, and whilst I'm fine with free DLC (who isn't?). But... three modes? Are you sure? Exterminatus was free, then there were two added ones (Dreadnoughts and Chaos Unleashed).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Space Marine is a weird one. At the end of the quarter of its releas THQ touted that it was doing better than expected with 1.2 million units shipped across all three platforms, but every quarter since then they've said it was a disappointment.
    Watch your terms there... "shipped units" does not equal sales, it equals the amount of pre-orders from retail stores.

If these units do not sell, THQ does not make money.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Games Workshop do seem to have an aversion to being directly involved
    I picture them sitting in a darkened room full of models and codex books, and any time anyone mentions video games they slap their hands over their ears and start shouting "if I don't need dice its not a game!"

Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    I picture them sitting in a darkened room full of models and codex books, and any time anyone mentions video games they slap their hands over their ears and start shouting "if I don't need dice its not a game!"
    Wizardry works for GW?

Relic should be picked up by Sega, Paradox or 1C. As for 4A games they should get picked up by 1C or Paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I would, obviously ;)

My point was more that the game has a massive install size (as does Portal 2, for that matter) for little obvious reason, and whilst I'm fine with free DLC (who isn't?). But... three modes? Are you sure? Exterminatus was free, then there were two added ones (Dreadnoughts and Chaos Unleashed).
    At one point, I believe a capture the flag mode was added for free. The other two you mentioned are also around as DLC, yes.

I will say, Space Marine is a painful reminder of a game that fell short of greatness. I played it loads, it was very exciting and enjoyable, but there just seemed to be endless problems with online population, a very poorly designed set of unlocks for some weapons (multikills with a meltagun, which is HILARIOUS) and some serious lag issues. This was compounded when the co-op DLC arrived late, didn't let you work on your weapon unlocks (so those of us who had grinded to level 41 found it a bit redundant) and ultimately just reminded us of the painful lag issues.

Finally, when all the other DLC arrived, it was priced high enough that nobody wanted to buy it - cutting the online populace down even further and cutting it in half. Considering you can't even control which map you pick, that meant that online games were unpredictable and if you didn't have the DLC you might as well not play.

Homefront sold 1mil units in the end - but it wasn't the big hit THQ needed. In addition, the less said about Red Faction: Armageddon the better. After guerrilla, it seemed the property was set. Guess I was wrong. With a bit of luck, when THQ recovers, they can again make a brilliant Red Faction game.

As for Dawn of War 2, from what I understand a majority of the team that worked on it were made redundant. I honestly don't know what everyone else is working on at the moment, if its DMO or DOW3. I'd prefer it was the later, because at this point DMO should of been cancelled (who knows, that's likely only a few days away with a new VP of core games).

Also, Relic are entirely owned by THQ. There is no way that anybody can "pick them up". If THQ go down, Relic are likely to go with them. It isn't even up for discussion, as one of THQ's most profitable and decent studios.
    Last edited by Hirmetrium; 30-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.

And someone should give Volition money to make a PC only Freespace 3.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I don't know where the "team that worked on DoW 2 were made redundant" line has come from across the internet. The part of teams cut were clearly to do with the changing of Dark Millennium On...Offline. All teams involved with that were cut.

That being said, either this move is someone bailing before the water gets too high, or there's a chance THQ can be recovered. It's still gravely in risk of dropping out of the stock listings. If that happens, then we can start talking about studios being sold off. As it stands, they can still recover.