Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    It's not, it's shown in over 130 countries and broadcast in 22 different languages, but I can't find info on viewer figures.
    That alone doesn't make it a popular sport though. The Super Bowl is also broadcasted all over the world, and American Football is a niche sport almost everywhere. Compared to that, UFC is even more niche and not really a sport you can base a yearly game series on (which THQ tried and failed).

Ow!

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...-20314_18k.htm

On October 26, 2010, the Board of Directors of THQ Inc. (“THQ”) approved a waiver of THQ’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics (the “Code of Conduct”) to allow THQ to engage Rachel Bilson on a consulting basis to provide services related to THQ’s core games.

Dear me, THQ. Dear me.

My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yah, Bilson was a poison, glad they got someone else.

How crap of an license agreement did he sign where selling a game over a million still did not turn a profit.

More stuff.

THQ vice president, corporate controller and chief accounting officer Teri Manby has resigned. According to a recent SEC filing, Manby will remain with the company until July 6th in order to transition her duties to multiple other employees.

CFO Paul Pucino will take on Manby’s role as chief accounting officer, while Rose Cunningham will be promoted to vice president and corporate controller. Cunningham has been with THQ for seven years and most recently served as senior director of financial reporting.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...sident-resigns

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Delisting avoidance level increased!

So THQ have managed to stay on the stock exchange which, putting it simply, is good news. They're not exactly in a great state and still on the brink, but they have a chance to come back up. The sales of Darksiders 2 will probably have a profound impact on the stock though and that comes out in 3 weeks. That being said, the game is picking up a lot of interest and will probably do pretty well.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New leaders and good marketing could see it do well.

I need to pick up the first one still.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I quite enjoyed what I've played of the first. Need to finish it though and decide if I want more before I think about getting the second. Though I'll be slapping down a preorder on CoH2 ASAP as long as THQ survive that long (and I'm fairly certain they will now that they seem to have gotten through the worst of it).
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You evil bastards for bumping this :p
    I thought THQ had really croaked when I saw the thread title.

Would be the saddest day in pc gaming, only publisher out there that allows studios to make proper real games instead of only theme park shit.

Dow, darksiders (better than zelda games at being zelda) , red faction.

Felt good to read again at how kaos was disbanded though:p Homefront was such a stinker of a game, a blemish on THQ as well to allow that to get released.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    "If Jason's [Rubin, President, THQ] sat there and we go and sell 4 or 5 million units, I'm pretty sure he won't say, 'Let's go and do something different now'. Maybe what he might do is turn around and say, 'We'll do another Darksiders game, but we'll try and reduce the scope so that we can make it even higher polished'. Because our scope is huge. Maybe he says, 'Bring the scope down a little bit, we'll still do another game but it's a lot more focused'. That's not such a bad thing to do either."

Source

I guess that's it for the IP. It had a good run.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    "If Jason's [Rubin, President, THQ] sat there and we go and sell 4 or 5 million units, I'm pretty sure he won't say, 'Let's go and do something different now'. Maybe what he might do is turn around and say, 'We'll do another Darksiders game, but we'll try and reduce the scope so that we can make it even higher polished'. Because our scope is huge. Maybe he says, 'Bring the scope down a little bit, we'll still do another game but it's a lot more focused'. That's not such a bad thing to do either."

Source

I guess that's it for the IP. It had a good run.
    Reading the full article I do sort of agree with some of what he's saying (even though it is a bunch of brief, out-of-context quotes). Bigger does not mean better, there's plenty of open-world games out there that feel lifeless and empty because they were pretty much copy-pasted environments, and making a slightly smaller game with more hand-crafted detail and interaction can often be better. Case in point: Stalker vs Fallout 3.

It is a bit worrying that he's making these comments at all though; it kind of suggests that maybe Darksiders 2 has been over-ambitious with the scale of the game and lacks polish and interactivity as a result. But again, they're out-of-context quotes, so their meaning can easily be misinterpreted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Also, Vigil (Darksiders devs, as well as being the main force behind the WH40K MMO that is now not to be) were putting out a call to hire FPS devs. That could go one of three ways, I believe: 1. It's to do with retooling the 40K game to be an FPS, which makes sense considering the ranged contingent of the game, despite the fact Space Marine getting the feeling right (and was on the same engine as the Darksiders one). 2. The next Darksiders will be an FPS with Strife, the one with the guns, which could be an interesting break from the norm and maybe play akin to Metroid Prime (no bad thing). 3. Something entirely different. I'll be happy with either of the first two.