Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    I wonder were the WWE games will be going now, I'm surprised THQ have gone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldriver View Post
    I wonder were the WWE games will be going now, I'm surprised THQ have gone.
    I suspect the WWE was already shopping around for new developers. WWE12 marked a HUGE shift from the Smackdown/Smackdown VS Raw series and WWE13 is an attempt to cash in on the 90s era/games. And throughout THQ's entire run on the franchise (of which, I own 3 of the games with a 10 dollar WWE12 in the mail :p), pretty much everyone said: "I like it, but it isn't WWF Attitude"

In general, a franchise game doesn't have a radical redesign unless it is necessary. So, in hindsight, WWE12 was a pretty bad sign for THQ.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I suspect the WWE was already shopping around for new developers. WWE12 marked a HUGE shift from the Smackdown/Smackdown VS Raw series and WWE13 is an attempt to cash in on the 90s era/games. And throughout THQ's entire run on the franchise (of which, I own 3 of the games with a 10 dollar WWE12 in the mail :p), pretty much everyone said: "I like it, but it isn't WWF Attitude"

In general, a franchise game doesn't have a radical redesign unless it is necessary. So, in hindsight, WWE12 was a pretty bad sign for THQ.
    I don't think that's THQs fault, but rather the source material from which they're making the game. It's not like THQ has any control over the wrestling personalities or the story lines used in WWE week in week out. Most wrestling fans themselves will say "it's just isnt Attitude" and talk about the Attitude era as being the best era they remember, hence why the newest game tries to go back to that era. And that's mainly because wrestling fans who loved the attitude era are much older now and don't like the new wrestlers or the direction WWE wen't. Can't blame THQ on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I don't think that's THQs fault, but rather the source material from which they're making the game. It's not like THQ has any control over the wrestling personalities or the story lines used in WWE week in week out. Most wrestling fans themselves will say "it's just isnt Attitude" and talk about the Attitude era as being the best era they remember, hence why the newest game tries to go back to that era. And that's mainly because wrestling fans who loved the attitude era are much older now and don't like the new wrestlers or the direction WWE wen't. Can't blame THQ on that.
    I'll agree to that in principle (I for one was only realy interested in the tail end of the attitude era when we had Edge and Christian, The Hardy Boys, the Dudleys, The Rock, and Chris Jericho), but considering that most wrassling game fans just make their own abominations in create-a-wrestler (I like to make a guy in a gimp suit :p), the bigger problem was that matches never really felt like the on-screen ballet that is wrassling. I doubt WWF Attitude got it right either (been over a decade :p), but people remember it as having gotten it right which is the same thing.

Note: WWF Attitude is actually the last game before THQ got a hold of the license. The Attitude Era was the late 90s/Early 00s)
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    I just don't get WWE fans. There was no significant re-design from SmackDown VS RAW 2011 to WWE '12. All they did was change the name. Same engine, same fight mechanics, same create a superstar, same everything (I guess Road to Wrestlemania mode was changed up a lot, but is that one mode seriously why people buy these things every year?). They're the archetype of the annualized sports license video game.

The one time they tried a significant re-design was WWE All Stars, which was actually fun, but sold half as well as the SvR games. The re-branding of SvR (Insert Year) to WWE (Insert Year) actually saw a significant increase in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I just don't get WWE fans. There was no significant re-design from SmackDown VS RAW 2011 to WWE '12. All they did was change the name. Same engine, same fight mechanics, same create a superstar, same everything (I guess Road to Wrestlemania mode was changed up a lot, but is that one mode seriously why people buy these things every year?). They're the archetype of the annualized sports license video game.

The one time they tried a significant re-design was WWE All Stars, which was actually fun, but sold half as well as the SvR games. The re-branding of SvR (Insert Year) to WWE (Insert Year) actually saw a significant increase in sales.
    The very same can be said about all yearly games. Rarely does a yearly game ever shake up the mold that much. Fifa, Madden, WWE SvR or whatever they call it now, CoD.

The very same can be said about all yearly games. Rarely does a yearly game ever shake up the mold that much. Fifa, Madden, WWE SvR or whatever they call it now, CoD.
    Pretty much. If you look at the grand scheme of things, WWE12 was a sequel. And, like all (good) sequels, it was more of the similar. But compared to previous years and as far as franchise games go, it was a radical redesign.

Obscure Node
    its a sad day in videos games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some lenders upset that they are trying to sell THQ as a whole.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/03/th...nkruptcy-sale/

They want it sold piecemeal and get what they can.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Shit just got even more real.

tl;dr: judge does not approve sale plan, 5 companies including Warner want to buy THQ or pieces of it, Clearlake rejects piecemeal purchases, judge refuses funding to keep THQ operating and THQ's management looks shady as fuck.

I just hope that all the good IPs won't become stuck in some kind of IP-limbo, never to be seen again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    EA is an interested party for some of the franchises. Please no no no no...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The sale is scheduled for January 22.
    Can't believe this thread is almost a year old.

Network Hub
    It's weird but the only company I'd be comfortable with buying THQ's IPs is Square Enix

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    EA is an interested party for some of the franchises. Please no no no no...
    Company of Heroes: Fighterwar

Seriously though, at least that would guarantee that shit got made.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Company of Heroes: Fighterwar

Seriously though, at least that would guarantee that shit got made.
    COMPANYFACE

which is a third-person shooter, of course.

Since Creative Assembly are already working on a Warhammer game, Sega may as well acquire the whole shebang. That might result in them dropping the RTS genre, though.

Red Faction to Take Two might work.

South Park? Shit, I don't know, CD Projekt? Yeah, that would be hilarious.

As for Saints Row, Darksiders and Company of Heroes, I can't recall a publisher that seems to fit. I'd love to say Paradox, but I really can't, so I'll just dump them on Gabe. Let him prove if he really is the Messiah.

The list of publishers I have confidence in is sadly a short one. Take Two is not on it. What's the word on Sega? They have some solid titles, but I don't know much about their policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Since Creative Assembly are already working on a Warhammer game, Sega may as well acquire the whole shebang. That might result in them dropping the RTS genre, though.

Red Faction to Take Two might work.

South Park? Shit, I don't know, CD Projekt? Yeah, that would be hilarious.

As for Saints Row, Darksiders and Company of Heroes, I can't recall a publisher that seems to fit. I'd love to say Paradox, but I really can't, so I'll just dump them on Gabe. Let him prove if he really is the Messiah.

The list of publishers I have confidence in is sadly a short one. Take Two is not on it. What's the word on Sega? They have some solid titles, but I don't know much about their policies.
    The policies of Segas Japanese branch are currently causing bad waves on the internet.

WB might be a good fit for Volition, Rocksteady made two stellar games under WB publishing, who are small fry in gaming but by being small fry they don't choke their IPs like some of the bigger ones. Squenix could also be a good fit for the SR and Darksiders teams, but since they're not rolling in the money, it'll be unlikely. Squenix have also been very nice to PC gamers as of late.

Ubisoft could do it aswell. Previous bad drm and uPlay aside, they make decent games.

As for Gabe, Gabe is currently interested in hardware and steam boxes. If he/they got hold of any of those IPs it'd be years before we see anything come of it.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 08-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.

As for Gabe, Gabe is currently interested in hardware and steam boxes. If he/they got hold of any of those IPs it'd be years before we see anything come of it.
    Won't happen. Too many IPs with 3's in their name.
    Last edited by c-Row; 08-01-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

*Good points*
    I agree with all of it, and would love to see Ubisoft or WB to do SR and DS were it not for their horrendous DRM policies. GFWL is awful and uPlay is'nt really my cup of tea. Still, they are probably the most compatible options, so I'll deal with it.

Ubisoft have some pretty decent action/platformers, so they could probably handle DS. If Rocksteady have a sense of humour, I think I'd prefer if they did SR.