Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Who knows, Sega might even get a "Buy one Warhammer license, get a second half price!" deal.
    That makes me laugh, the very idea of GW having a sale on anything brings a chuckle.

A Necromunda turn based strat game though, would be amazing.

*EDIT*

Riadsala pointed out my mistake. It's still early
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 25-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    eh? a turn based real time strategy game?

Network Hub
    Even just sticking Homeworld on GoG for $10 would garner a lot of attention in the right places. I would honestly hope that a new game would be viable, after all there hasn't really been any RTS games based in space since maybe Empire at War? Even that had clunky ground battles shoved in as well.

The one thing that hasn't happened for me was that Vigil wasn't picked up. I was really hoping for Warner Bros. to swoop in and buy the team up, then perhaps work the game to the Arkham games engine with the similar RPG elements to Darksiders 2 (expand them a bit more however). The game had so much potential, an awesome premise and story with some damn good voice acting, all it needed was some refinements and I was hoping for Arkham Asylum combat meets Zelda style dungeon crawling in the open world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    X-COM, but with Scavies.

Necromunda is a near perfect setting for a small scale strategy (or even better) a party based RPG. For that matter so is Inquistor, Mordheim or Gorkamorka.

Aye. After playing XCOM, I don't see how this wouldn't work. We need more of these
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Took a look through the Sega sale agreement PDF from that NeoGAF thread, and it seems to be missing a huge section. It skips from Article XII to Exhibit 4.3(b). Schedule 1.1(c) is where the list of acquired Products is supposed to be, and it's not there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Do you know anything about 1666, Crawler or Underdog?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Does anyone know what happens to pre-orders placed before the bankrupcy? I pre-ordered Stick of Truth way back when.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Looks like we're in for a wild ride with Saints Row and Deep Silver. Check out the first reply, and then that person's twitter.

Network Hub
    Call of the Row: Dildo Warfare

The dream is not dead.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In fairness, if they were to release a Saints Row special edition featuring a dismembered torso with big tits and a bikini, it would be 100% artistically justified.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Well before the auction these objections were brought up. GW probably did not want their license transferred to a company they do not like.
    Well exactly. The fact that they have a standing relationship with Sega will help significantly and it's not like Sega would've got Relic without knowing they did the whole Dawn of War thing. They knew what they were getting themselves into.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Do you know anything about 1666, Crawler or Underdog?
    Other than Desélit's game being 1666, I don't think anything is known about it. Similar with regards to Crawler; we know Vigil was working on it, that's it.

That makes me laugh, the very idea of GW having a sale on anything brings a chuckle.
    Heh, tell me about it. In the two years I played the LOTR table-top and ventured into Games Workshops, I don't think I once saw a sale. On anything. Not even paint.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    They can't be serious,DOW3 is F2P game,wtf were they thinking.
    Well, EA and MS (right? They were behind Age of Empires?) have had thoughts about it. Whilst I obviously can't speak about DOW3, I imagine that Sega is a bit more clued in to what people actually want; accessibility of quality products. I would sincerely hope that whatever is left of the developments at Relic, Sega encourage a more traditional model.

Right then...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Project Atlas was planned as a F2P 40k MOBA-like. It was going to essentially be Last Stand, but instead of being locked into one Arena the hero characters would move between arenas as sort of a labyrinth (i.e. you'd have a starting arena, complete however many waves it throws at you, and then four doors open up and you can go through any of them, repeat until you get to a final arena).
    I have no intention to push anything, but obviously you're in a position In The Know. That's enough for me.

That idea is a real blend of, well, other ideas. When I eventually went to bed, I started thinking of almost exactly that, of combining the various faction leaders of The Last Stand with the horde mode from Space Marine (arguably the best part of the game - what a damn good implementation of a horde mode!). And it seems I was pretty close. Mixing the 'universes' a little bit with spin-offs also comes off as quite inspired, I think. It's a model that could really work. Balance wouldn't be too much of a concern, so long as it simply wasn't too easy to beat with certain combos. Of course, with Relic's balancing of The Last Stand DLC, even with it winning wasn't guaranteed, it just opened up a different way of playing for a character usually limited in some way (ie. boosting the melee characteristics of the Farseer. Although I'll forever be cloak and confuse because that just kicks ass). Not only that, but it's simply proven - this works. People liked Space Marine's horde mode, people loved The Last Stand, people love WH40K...there's no real reason why it shouldn't catch on.

So considering the market of MOBAs at the moment, I was a little surprised when I read this:

DoWIII was being re-worked into a F2P
    I can understand that perfectly fine, but I'm not sure it makes sense. I thought there was a similar potential implementation in COH2, but I can't say I've been following its development significantly. Similarly, wasn't it implemented in COH Online, whcih to my knowledge was a failed project?

(which was lame, since DoWIII was going back to a more traditional base-building model, but at WH40k: Apocalypse scale. The story outline was also pretty cool).
    I mean, that sounds awesome. Surely the numbers are available to know that the fan-base of DOW is loyal and considering it can grow on the PC and last a long time (the fact that people still recommend DOW1, not as a 'better' title, but as a an alternative play-style to DOW2, is surely a great example of that) that paying a one-off price would be successful. At the same time, there's no way Relic nor THQ could've seen the relative disdain that's grown towards Blizzard with the reactions of SC2 and Diablo 3. Yes, the company is hardly in trouble, but the always-praise they had has lost its glimmer. People will want and pay for a good game. I don't think DOW needs to market itself as an e-Sports title for that price to be paid.

Obviously that's just the mind-set I'm going through trying to rationalise that decision, but I don't think the RTS market has really changed. In that way, at least. If anything it seems to have stagnated. At the same time, you've got Sega who are pretty clued up on price-points, sure not to under-sell products, but also know that sometimes high is too high. Of course, perhaps I'm clinging onto an old model. I'm certainly not in the business to know!

I had also heard that THQ had tried to work with 'an eastern european company' (possibly GoG) to get a re-release of the previous Homeworld games going, but it never worked out (presumably stripping WON out of Homeworld and Homeworld: Cataclysm and writing a whole new multiplayer back-end was too expensive).
    I can't see it being anyone other than GoG. And it's a shame, really. Granted there will always be people who played online, but simply having the single player component would be enough, for most. Also, you never know what the community can and will do for something they love - case in point, the multiplayer mods for Skyrim and Just Cause 2! And because I can, I remember playing Homeworld 2 (only HW I played, but it was enough to sell me on who brilliant it all was) and finding the campaign really hard. I found a way to cheat and give you more ships at the start of each mission, but I had no idea that the game worked out what you had carrying forward and would start the enemy off with more forces in correspondence to what you had. There was one mission in particular where you would always start out-numbered and with the enemy having numerous counters. I then removed from the save docs all my extra ships, lesson learnt. Funnily enough, I got the mission done much easier then...ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Took a look through the Sega sale agreement PDF from that NeoGAF thread, and it seems to be missing a huge section. It skips from Article XII to Exhibit 4.3(b). Schedule 1.1(c) is where the list of acquired Products is supposed to be, and it's not there.
    Presumably there's still some confidential stuff there? Maybe it is explicitly designed to hide stuff still in development? I mean, there's no mention in the linked doc of COH2 (that I saw) but everyone knows Relic was working on it and Sega will be publishing it.

Anyhow, this is all very interesting stuff and your clearly unique input is very welcome, Dave L. I hope you don't get into trouble for any of this, but like you said, what's a binding NDA on a dead company? Like I said, I won't push, but all I'll say is I hope you're not in a situation where you're out of work. If you are, I hope you find something soon.