Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    This is THQ we are talking about, they are good at fucking things up.
    It's worth noting that THQ doesn't own 4A games, they're just publishing Metro (and presumably financing it, at least in part). A development & release schedule will already have been agreed, so while THQ could very well put a lot of pressure on the devs to release sooner they can't make demands that would contradict what has already been agreed - a contract is legally binding for both parties.

I would however expect they'll try to milk it as much as possible financially, so expect to see some minor but over-priced DLC and lots of pre-order bonus content, and on the flipside expect to see THQ aggressively pricing the game on their own storefront (much like what happened with Saints Row 3, which they were selling for £15 over christmas and throwing in the 3 major DLCs to boot).

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Unlikely. They're so close to the end of development that rushing them out now would simply be counter-productive.
    Maybe, maybe not. JoWood did this with Gothic 3, and while they still went under eventually, it did seem to stem the tide for a little while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The idea of not needing protecting brands or pushing them out for quicker sales doesn't make sense in an industry where the biggest titles are not one-off hits looked forward to, but huge franchises on their Nth sequel. Darksiders 1, for instance, did not sell amazingly; if 2 gets bad reviews because the quality testing is poor, not only will it likely decrease overall sales, but the value of the franchise should it be sold off later would be significantly reduced, if not entirely unsellable. In theory, selling it quicker to stem the tide makes perfect sense, but I believe this is not one of those cases where the theory holds up to real world practice. In this circumstance, I'd love to be wrong and wouldn't mind being so.

That being said, it gets worse: likely 170+ being laid off from THQ. I wouldn't even say the beginning of the end as it feels much more like the middle.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 01-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The idea of not needing protecting brands or pushing them out for quicker sales doesn't make sense in an industry where the biggest titles are not one-off hits looked forward to, but huge franchises on their Nth sequel. Darksiders 1, for instance, did not sell amazingly; if 2 gets bad reviews because the quality testing is poor, not only will it likely decrease overall sales, but the value of the franchise should it be sold off later would be significantly reduced, if not entirely unsellable. In theory, selling it quicker to stem the tide makes perfect sense, but I believe this is not one of those cases where the theory holds up to real world practice. In this circumstance, I'd love to be wrong and wouldn't mind being so.
    The first Darksiders didn't get great reviews, really. Somehow, copying Zelda gets you "derivative" while releasing identical games every year gets you "biggest entertainment release of all time."

Obscure Node
    I hope THQ gets out of this ok. Metro and W40K are some of the best current gaming franchises

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Heck, Metro 2033, along with the first Deus Ex, is the best linear shooter I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Deus Ex... linear shooter
    Wait, what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The first Darksiders didn't get great reviews, really. Somehow, copying Zelda gets you "derivative" while releasing identical games every year gets you "biggest entertainment release of all time."
    Darksiders seems to be doing OK. It has a sequel coming out this year, it's a semi-cult hit and its novel tie-in prequel thing comes out via a major (genre) publisher in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Darksiders seems to be doing OK. It has a sequel coming out this year, it's a semi-cult hit and its novel tie-in prequel thing comes out via a major (genre) publisher in May.
    The sequel would imply that sales got by just fine despite middling reviews, but thanks for spelling it out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Yeah it's a little weird. I'm led to believe that DS1 did around 1m, but it's hard to say; whenever it's been on sale on Steam, it's sold well and it certainly has a lot of anticipation built up around it (and from reading around, I'm not the only person looking to it more after playing the latest Zelda). The irony is, a game that would help them recoup their loses is one they may not be able to advertise too well. Fortunately it's got some word-of-mouth going in the industry and enthuthiasts so that'll probably filter through; the same is likely true of the next Metro title.

As an aside, Darksiders being derivative wasn't at all bad, just like anything else being derivative isn't necessarily bad. The only issue is if it's done badly and for many, including myself, it was done extremely well. Improvable? Damn straight, but the sequel certainly looks to be addressing that. It also has the advantage of being a not abundant genre (unfortunately) especially for the PS360/PC giving it some extra weight and potential audience...one would hope.