Quick Question: Two 6-pin power connectors required for Graphics Card?

Hey hey,

So the I ordered a new Graphics Card recently and it came today. Upon opening it up and then looking inside my tower I noticed it has two slots for 6-pin power connectors and I only have one (It's an adaptor for two 4-pin connectors that came with the card). My question is this: Will the card run properly and not blow up or fry anything if I try and run it with only one 6-pin connector plugged in?

I've ordered another 6-pin so I'd just like to know whether I can put the card in now and then add the second connector when it comes or if I should wait for the second one to arrive before installing it.

The card I bought is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=44564

Thanks!

While it probably won't blow it will be starved of juice and wont work. So be patient. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    What PSU do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    What PSU do you have?
    I'm not sure of the make but it's 850W.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    What PSU do you have?
    I second this question, if your PSU doesn't even have a single PCI-E power connector then there's a good chance it's a low wattage unit that was never designed to run a power-hungry graphics card. You should really look into that first, you don't want to blow-up your PSU.

EDIT: just saw your above post, are you sure of that? I can't see how an 850w PSU wouldn't have at least two PCI-E power connectors, let alone none.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    I second this question, if your PSU doesn't even have a single PCI-E power connector then there's a good chance it's a low wattage unit that was never designed to run a power-hungry graphics card. You should really look into that first, you don't want to blow-up your PSU.

EDIT: just saw your above post, are you sure of that? I can't see how an 850w PSU wouldn't have at least two PCI-E power connectors, let alone none.
    Yup, I'm sure. I'll have another look inside the case to see what I've got then if it seems out of the ordinary not to already have the connectors.

EDIT: Turns out I was a silly boy and didn't see the 6-pin connector that I did have. I'm now comfortably running my new card. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Joseph; 17-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Yup, I'm sure. I'll have another look inside the case to see what I've got then if it seems out of the ordinary not to already have the connectors.

EDIT: Turns out I was a silly boy and didn't see the 6-pin connector that I did have. I'm now comfortably running my new card. Thanks guys!
    This got me thinking. I just received my new HD 7950 which requires 2 six pin connectors but my 550w PSU ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182017 ) only has one six pin connector. I wonder if I could get an adapter of some sort or if I need a new PSU all together?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    You could get a 2x 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCIe adapter, but it's not a perfect solution. Since the PSU is already anemic for a 550W PSU, I would probably recommend a new PSU instead. A good 550W PSU would actually be enough (as long as the rest of your system isn't too crazy). Like an XFX Core Edition 550W.
    Last edited by Sakkura; 25-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.