Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Base Building/Resource Harvesting Games

I'm looking for games where the focus is to 'gain control' of territory/harvest resources to make bases or whatever - but where combat is not the primary aim (e.g. not every RTS ever made) - where some strategy is also required.

My initial list was

Perimeter, Moonbase Commander, The Space Game (Flash freebie), Creeper World(s)

Have I missed any? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    and instantly I sort-of add Harvest: Massive Encounter - perhaps? :)

Not really wanting pure Tower Defense stuff but if it has a resource/territory control mechanic I might be :)

Network Hub
    A Creeper World reference! What a great game.

I know what you're looking for, and I know I've played these types of games, but I can't think of off of the top of my head. MULE?

How about Qix, the original territory grab?

More broadly I'd nominate Dwarf Fortress, Stronghold, Anno series, Majesty, Kohan 2, and maybe Skyward Collapse (as a territory balance puzzle). Infested Planet is tempting, but I haven't played it and don't know if it quite fits.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    AI War. If you want more ships you either need to steal factories from AI or research on new planets as research is capped/planet. There's strategical choices (snipe stuff such as Ion cannons) with certain immune units before fleets warps in, but mostly the combat is "Make good blob composition and attack move". What do you research? What do you need to conquer (the more you conquer, the more the enemy AI will also bring to table so you don't want to take all you could).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    When you say that combat should not be the primary aim, should I read that as you being okay with no combat at all or that you want some combat, but not as the main purpose of the game? If you're looking for the former, there's a bunch of city-builders, like Banished, Children of the Nile, Zeus, etc. Clockwork Empires is on the way, and looks interesting.

EDIT: I know very little about Factorio, but I think that might be worth checking out. I'm deliberately staying away from it, since people say it's a time sink. It's supposedly great, though.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 22-05-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Unfortunately I know of no other game like Creeper World, that one is great (all of them).
    But if you care more about resource gathering and base building than territorial control:
    Factorio, Factorio, Factorio. Also, as Fanbuoy said, city-builders might fit, I'd suggest Anno here, it's also all about the resources (which are mostly not gathered but generated by buildings, though).

Perimeter is utterly rubbish. Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary?

Haven't played this but there's a small cult around Original War.

Network Hub
    If more traditional strategy games are in the mix Lords of the Realm 2 is a great (albeit old) territorial game. You can click past the combat fairly predictably, unless you're storming a royal castle.

It's possible to split another player's territories with proper strategy on larger maps.

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    Perimeter is utterly rubbish. Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary?
    I was about to mention Settlers as well, in these games you literally steal control over your enemies' turf from under their noses. Also, the Anno games can be played in open world mode without any military conflict whatsoever. Anno 1404 is one of my favourites.

Network Hub
    Factorio maybe? It has a demo so definitely worth a go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Perimeter is utterly rubbish
    No! Its awesome its probably my favourite base building RTS since its got a cool defensive style gameplay and you get nanobots that terroform the ground so you can builf your base.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Anno games are basically RTS games with the combat dialed down to 1 and the base building and supply chain management dialed up to 11.

The Majesty games are interesting - they're quite combat-centric, but you can never order your units in to battle. So it's a lot more about getting the right combination of buildings and upgrades in the right positions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    When you say that combat should not be the primary aim, should I read that as you being okay with no combat at all
    No combat at all would be great - but games of that ilk are scarce, I guess combat is seen as the main way of 'adding game' to stuff...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Dwarf Fortress, always Dwarf Fortress.

Blood for Armok!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    +1 for Anno.

Patrician series. The ship combat never felt heavy and was infrequent. The focus is on trade and expanding your merchant empire. In a sense you gain control of territory by building buildings in other ports.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I thought I'd wrote a post saying how Perimeter deserves respect despite its flaws for being something special. And that settlers 2 and its prettier follow up 10th Anniversary are both a tour do force on graceful pacing and meaningful choices. It's a road game, your roads will remain the limiting factor in all your endeavours, you can prioritise or have 'Kings Roads' that are simply not connected to the farmers or the miners or set up Islands that export nothing but bread.

It's a lovely little game with masks the ferocious nature of its multiplayer.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I gave Factorio a whirl - I love the concept but the 'Minecraft'-like starter quest is REALLY offputting...

Fortunately that passes quickly and you get toys to play with.

Got to say tho - I suspect it could consume your life ;0