Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

PSA: Getting around Wikipedia's SOPA block

Just in case you actually, you know, wanted to get anything done today, disabling Javascript will allow you to use Wikipedia normally. In Chrome, you can do this by going to Options>Under the Hood>Content Settings and checking the box for "Do not allow any site to run Javascript." From there, you can selectively choose which sites you want to allow either from that menu or the new button in your address bar. I'm sure this will work for a number of other sites employing the same protest method.

Wait, getting around websites' blocks is going to help you get more done?

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    It's exam season. Some of us have an entire module to learn in just a few days. Wikipedia is often the best place to learn, or supplement one's learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I actually don't have anything pressing to do today, but its' annoying as hell to have to look further than the first result on Google to find what I'm looking for. (Especially when I still click Wikipedia on impulse, only to be greeted by the blacked-out page.)

You can also press escape quickly after the page has loaded.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Their mobile site is still up as well. In a regular browser it's obviously a mess, but useable if you can't be bothered to disable javascript.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    You can do it in Firefox rather simply, too. If you have AdBlock Plus, open it up and look for this: "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BannerController&cache=/cn.js&303-4" or something very similar, and block it. Wikipedia is yours once again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    In addition to a protest of SOPA, this would seem to be an excellent demonstration of the general over-reliance on Wikipedia as a source of information. Maybe it needs to stay down for awhile.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    On a related note, you can get around the xkcd blackout just by prepending the address with the https:// protocol rather than http://

Though of course there's no new xkcd, so it's only really useful if you're yearning to trawl the archives and just can't wait until tomorrow. This happens to me often.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    On a related note, you can get around the xkcd blackout just by prepending the address with the https:// protocol rather than http://

Though of course there's no new xkcd, so it's only really useful if you're yearning to trawl the archives and just can't wait until tomorrow. This happens to me often.
    Alternately you could just use the "Archive" button in the upper left. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    In addition to a protest of SOPA, this would seem to be an excellent demonstration of the general over-reliance on Wikipedia as a source of information. Maybe it needs to stay down for awhile.
    I think most people are aware that they use Wikipedia a lot. 'Reliance' yes, but I'm not sure why it's an 'over-reliance'.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I think most people are aware that they use Wikipedia a lot. 'Reliance' yes, but I'm not sure why it's an 'over-reliance'.
    I clicked on it a few times today, then was like "oh yeeeah. speaking out against the looming cloud of global digital repression. Dammit."

"It's too convenient! Suspiciously convenient..."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Alternately you could just use the "Archive" button in the upper left. :)
    Someone told me the archive was blacked out too, and I have the HTTPS Everywhere plugin for Firefox and didn't bother disabling it to check. That'll teach me to believe everything I hear.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    "It's too convenient! Suspiciously convenient..."
    That's exactly what the Professor would say as well ;)

I take his point though. Wikipedia is good as a general reference and starting point.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 19-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    That's exactly what the Professor would say as well ;)

I take his point though. Wikipedia is good as a general reference and starting point.
    It's a brilliant starting point, and I use it extensively myself, but too many people begin and end their research with that site.

Time to get back to my doomsday devices...