Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Episode 2 gameplay trailer.

Personally? Too damn quick to see if anything is fixed or not. It looks nice, if you can make out any scenery in between the springs and dash pads.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Episode 2 gameplay trailer.
    Personally? Too damn quick to see if anything is fixed or not. It looks nice, if you can make out any scenery in between the springs and dash pads.
    Looks wrong somehow, too slow i guess, its oddly slower than what I'd expect from mario.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

We need some gameplay footage, unedited, of someone who doesn't have a vested interest. Also, official word:

"Tails is playable, but not in single player."

It's genuinely amazing. The rerelease of Sonic CD was phenomenal in the amount of effort that went in. But play as Tails yourself in Episode 2? PFFFT. WE CANNOT ALLOW THAT! C'mon.

The levels look nice but I just can't find any excitement or interest for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man
    But play as Tails yourself in Episode 2? PFFFT. WE CANNOT ALLOW THAT! C'mon
    I guess it'd look silly after all the big bravado and noise about Sonic being the only playable character in Ep 1.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

They're retreading so much ground though, it seems silly not to have it included. Hell, the title screen is Sonic 2's, just with updated graphics and the newer models. The special stages are clearly aped from Sonic 2 as well. Yet, the one thing they can't do is let Tails be playable separately, which fans are fine with? If we get episode 3, I bet they'll go "Okay, okay, you can play as Tails. But you know how we've just introduced Knuckles? Yeah, not playable."

I'm not saying the Sonic community is easily pleased, but Sega do seem to be going about doing so in a very peculiar manner.

I'm not surprised if Sega is confused about how to please the fans when the fanbase itself is completely confused and divided about what it wants.

All the Sonic 2 referencing kinda just makes me want a Sonic 2 HD though.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

So for anyone who bought Episode 1, is it worth it at 66% off? I'm unsure...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    While the core element that makes it Sonic (i.e. the motion) is missing from Episode 1, all the ancillary elements that contribute to making it Sonic are present and correct. As weird as it is to say, there is some value to be had from Episode 1, but it's somehow not in playing it. But what else are you supposed to do with a game? It's very odd.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

I get what you're saying. Sometimes something cheap doesn't make it worth it and I think Ep1 is a good example of that.

Incidentally, I've been playing Sonic Rush on the DS and you can really tell it's by the same people; same physics, level design, etc. The music is actually really good, but I don't think it's their work. The boss fights are a bit shoddy and the amount of pits is a bit silly, but it's otherwise pretty fun. I guess the fact it's on a handheld makes it seem acceptable to be doing the same mistakes.

So the Alpha of Sonic 2 HD has been released. It's about 90mb. Looks, sounds and plays great. Contains Emerald Hill Zone and a false positive for a trojan (it's, somewhat ironically, DRM...). There are a few people reporting technical problems, but I ran it at best graphics with a consistently high FPS, so make of that what you will. It also contains controller support (although you have to manually set the button). You can change any settings by right clicking once it's loaded.

Last edited by The JG Man; 10-04-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Removed link

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    That looks aces, is it set for coop yet?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Nope, you can only play as Sonic. If you read the manual, you can find out how to play as Tails instead after you've beaten it once. Ahem.

The button mapping has support for numerous profiles, so I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least there was local co-op when it's eventually released.