Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I wonder if they'll take advantage of DX11. Sega are pretty good at making their games look sparkly.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    *Throws wallet to the monitor* There! Have at you, you bloodthirsty maniacs! Take it all already!

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I wonder if they'll take advantage of DX11. Sega are pretty good at making their games look sparkly.
    Considering it's just going to be a port, I doubt it. DX10 at most, and that'd already be surprising, since I believe the 360 (the easiest one to use as a base to port to PC) doesn't go beyond DX9.

So is the Sonic Generations pinball DLC worth $0.80? The only experience I have with is is watching TB's overview, which was admittedly more negative than need be simply because he didn't know what it is. Doesn't look like there are any achievements from it.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it anyway.
    Last edited by Kodeen; 03-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.

The worth of it depends entirely on how much you enjoy pinball minigames.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

So I played a little bit through Generations yesterday, through Robotnik's first boss encounter (I still hate the name Eggman), and I'm thorougly enjoying it. Definitely the best 3D portions of a Sonic game that I've encountered, though admittedly they can be frustrating at times.

Do new skills ever show up in the skill store as the game progresses? I'm not extremely happy with the jump height of either Sonic, and was hoping that could be fixed with a skill.

The jump height isn't altered, but there are skills that affect speed/movement in general. You won't get Classic Sonic ever behaving like the Genesis games, although I feel it's certainly good enough. How do you feel playing through possibly the best level in the game then in the form of Sky Sanctuary?

How do you feel playing through possibly the best level in the game then in the form of Sky Sanctuary?
    You definitely need to be able to take those Robotniks with cannons out quickly, they don't waste time. All of the levels have been good so far. I'm curious to see the 2D takes on some of the 3D exclusive levels, like the highway level from SA (I think that's the next one).

How do you feel playing through possibly the best level in the game then in the form of Sky Sanctuary?
    I'd personally vote for City Escape as my favourite Classic Sonic level and Rooftop Run as my favourite Modern Sonic one. Although I'd have to give a very close consolation prize to both iterations of Crisis City, to the point that they too feel like my very favourites. The other two might be slightly better in terms of pure level design but the feel of Crisis City is so wonderfully epic: the utterly fantastic music, the high-tempo action and the sheer insanity going around you gets my adrenaline pumping in the way the other levels don't. Everything else in the game is joyously celebratory nostalgic glee for me, Crisis City is "I'm Sonic and I'm here to kick ass and rock this place".

I think it also helped that Crisis City was the turning point in the game from being difficult to actually challenging. It, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp are at their best when you've mastered them and are whizzing past. Planet Wisp obviously has its own issues, but CC and RR are very satisfying. I still think though that modern Sky Sanctuary just works and fits perfectly. Not so sure what I feel for that with Classic, but considering I've got Chemical Plant down to about 1m 7s, possibly that...

Even if I disagree re: Sky Sanctuary, I can easily see why you'd think that (it is a fabulous level). And that applies to most levels in the game - the design is so great all around that you could name any level as your favourite and I'd nod in semi-agreement, perfectly able to comprehend where you're coming from.

The only level I'm not so keen on is classic Green Hill and that's less to do with any possible design faults and more because I've played so many iterations of Green Hill so many times during my life that it's stopped being anything particularly special for me. Not humongously excited about Modern Green Hill either for much the same reasons but it's got the obviously novelty 3D factor (and it doesn't follow the original level design like the SA2 version) going on for it - plus the bit with the giant Chopper chasing you is the game's first moment of Sheer Awesome.

In more general Sonic things, if anyone's interested in getting some Sonical literature in their homes, this year's your chance. A French publishing company released a 300-page book about Sonic's history recently and an English version has been confirmed to appear later this year. Detailed look through the series' history, including individual entries for each game. And it looks fabulous.

Last edited by Flint; 05-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.

That looks great. Hopefully they release an English version.

Also, the first Moment of Sheer Awesome (or Crowning Moment of Awesome, damn you TV Tropes!) surely has to be the game opening up with the jingle before loading up into the 2.5D Classic Green Hill. Even if the zone is subdued due to its numerous incarnations, it's hard to not go "...wow." when loading it up. This is what you wanted a modern Sonic game to look like and they delivered.

I will say though that the absolute best moment in the game is the clock tower descent in Rooftop Run. The build-up from running up the damn thing and then just being shown this amazing spectacle that you're hurling yourself downwards at. Damn.

An English release has already been confirmed, tentatively by the end of June!

Also, the first Moment of Sheer Awesome (or Crowning Moment of Awesome, damn you TV Tropes!) surely has to be the game opening up with the jingle before loading up into the 2.5D Classic Green Hill. Even if the zone is subdued due to its numerous incarnations, it's hard to not go "...wow." when loading it up. This is what you wanted a modern Sonic game to look like and they delivered.
    Ehhhh, I can't say I agree there. Like said, I'm so accustomed to Green Hill by now that when the game opened up with it, all I could think was "well, it's Green Hill but prettier". Plus I've already established my slight disenchanment with 2D platforming in this thread before so another 2D version of that particular level didn't really make me go woah. The giant Chopper interlude is the first time the games takes a familiar level and does something unexpected with it; combine that with the way the escape from the Chopper looks simply awesome as Sonic breezes by it and yeah, it's a clear indicator to start your giddy engines, it's all going to be epic from now on (until Time Eater, anyway).

Plus, when it comes to major nostalgia bonus, it's the Sonic 2 opening that does it for me. I got both Sonic 1 and 2 at the same time when I was a kid but Sonic 2 was the one that properly stole my heart. Green Hill? A fine thing and an understandable classic but give me Emerald Hill and we're talking.

I will say though that the absolute best moment in the game is the clock tower descent in Rooftop Run. The build-up from running up the damn thing and then just being shown this amazing spectacle that you're hurling yourself downwards at. Damn.
    Yeah, that's definitely one of the greatest moments in the game. I especially love the ascent this time around (the descent was already spectacular in the original version. In the original version the ascent takes the form of a small platforming/quick time event section - this time around, Sonic does what Sonic does best and runs the goddamn thing to the top without a care or trouble. It's one of those minor things that give the game such a grand, celebratory feel.
    Last edited by Flint; 05-05-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Apologies for double-posting but GamersGate are having a Sega Sale which includes all the Blue Blur titles as well (new and old), just in case you're missing something.

The mod call for Sonic Generations Unleashed goes out. Watch this video (linked because there are annotations in it that are useful) and then go here for more information. The trial is for Windmill Isle Act 1 (the tutorial stage) and the mod packager. It's a hardware test, in essence. We're a small community here, but any feedback we can offer up will be useful I'm sure.

Of course, some of us have exams tomorrow, so they may not be able to act on this immediately!

In addition, Episode 2 comes out on Tuesday.