Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Generations modding report:

(60fps version)

As it goes, I recently installed the Dragon Road level from Unleashed. It's rather hard, but at the same time incredibly satisfying to pull off. The action is done well and it's really easy to feel powerful; the water running section is fantastic. I can only imagine what dizzying brilliance there'll be in Jungle Joyride. Anyhow, I strongly recommend giving Dragon Road a download. It's great fun to play. I've got my time down to about 3:10 without skills, but I reckon I could get it sub 3 with some improvements. There's a substantial time saver early on, involving boosting off an incline and jumping into a light dash. I am forever screwing up that jump.

I'm also shamelessly stealing this image that Dario posted on SonicRetro a bit ago. Sonic Generations: Unleashed indeed.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Activated Node
    Actually, that's Generations ported to Unleashed. :P Just for the heck of it. Glad to know you enjoyed Dragon Road tho, keep in mind the difficulty is considering it's the 4th stage.

Ha, well, still pretty cool! Dragon Road was still fun to play, despite the challenge, but then I've never shied away from challenging games so long as they're reasonable; DR was/is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've had generations sitting on my HDD for a while. Got it in the summer sale.

Bugger me is it brilliant. I feel like an idiot for not having fired it up earlier...

Last time I played a sonic game was Sonic Advanced. Can't believe it's been that long...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I think there's an understandable apprehension going into new Sonic games for people who haven't been paying attention recently. Also, it's not like the PC has had any good offerings; Sonic Heroes and 4: Episode 1 aren't exactly a stellar showing off. If you have a Wii (and Dolphin emulation - the vids of it being played in 1080p make it look great), I strongly recommend Sonic Colours, as it plays pretty similarly, but with original content and a bit more emphasis on exploration rather than the faster pacing of Generations.

I forgot to say in my previous post, I completed Sonic Rush (DS) over the weekend. Well, that's a lie. I completed the Sonic portion of it. I don't think I feel the need to play as the other character, Blaze, especially considering that involves getting another set of emeralds when the last ones were difficult enough as it was. Anyhow, the levels are pretty good in terms of theme, albeit nothing new. The actual level design is lacking though. It's very Sonic 4, which makes sense given the same team behind it. It just lacks the spirit of the Genesis games though. It being 2D is a good ruse to sucker in punters. Eh. It's not bad, I just couldn't whole-heartedly recommend it. The music's great though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I strongly recommend Sonic Colours, as it plays pretty similarly, but with original content and a bit more emphasis on exploration rather than the faster pacing of Generations.
    I kind of enjoy the fast pacing. I think that's why I liked Sonic Advanced. It focused very tightly on doing not much else but going fast and getting higher to go faster. It's a bit of a boiling down of Sonic to only one of the bare aspects, but it's an aspect I've always prefered.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Fair enough. That's not to say that Colours is wildly different - the main gameplay is in the same realm as Generations, but there's a shift of the 'gimmick' (which I hate to use because it's actually integrated fantastically). If the option is available to you to play it, I heartily recommend to do so.

More Sonic Adventure 2 re-release news!

• The re-release will follow the format of the SA:DX one - that is, the main game will be roughly the original version with some visual etc improvements here and there and the GameCube release's extras (in this case, SA2: Battle) will be sold as additional DLC. IMO this isn't as bothersome as the SA:DX one, only thing SA2:B really added were some more multiplayer stuff and a new Chao mode which isn't as strikingly big to me as SA:DX's extra challenges and GameGear bonus games.
    • Speaking of bonus content, the game will also include bonus developer interviews. Apparently this is going to be something included in all future Sega re-releases eg Jet Set Radio.
    • And to the joy of everyone, Big the Cat's several cameos in the game will once again be readily visible like in the original version rather than hidden behind secret access codes like they were in SA2:B.

Re: Colours. Not played it (not got and will not get a Wii) but 1) but have looked into it and can readily say two things. One, it's one of the funniest Sonic games and the constant comedy and snark between Sonic and Tails is priceless. Two, the soundtrack is really dull for most parts (or maybe it just seems that way because the 3-CD soundtrack is composed largely of dull cutscene music).
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

They also released this vid that also shows off Jet Set HD and NiGHTS HD. As it goes, Jet Set looks great and you can tell that their art style still holds up. Not so sure about the other two and I haven't actually played the three of them. Probably give SA2 a miss.

Anyhow, Generations unto Unleashed.

(60fps link here - get it, it looks smashing)

There were some grumps that it didn't play exactly the same as in Unleashed; the explanation for changes can be found here.

Looks ace.

Probably give SA2 a miss.
    Now that's just SILLY.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post

• And to the joy of everyone, Big the Cat's several cameos in the game will once again be readily visible like in the original version rather than hidden behind secret access codes like they were in SA2:B.
    Oh for the love of... LET THE GODDAMN CAT DIE ALREADY!

Probably give SA2 a miss.
    Why do you hate Sonic? Why do you hate Jun Senoue? Why don't you have a soul?

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Why don't you have a soul?
    That alone is

insufficient.